Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Boost Available

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, this is more FUD. The competition is finally coming so Tesla forums are going to be flooded with all sorts of nonsense.

M3 has had the acceleration boost for year(s) and it doesn't degrade after a 48 hour trial period.

I assume they’re insinuating that Tesla boosts performance during the 48 hours so you don’t return it, then decreases it once you past the refund period?

that’s how I read it but I could be wrong. Either way makes no sense

Reactions: Reborn
Probably the same way it went in, an update was pushed to the car with a new configuration and the car restarted. Mine did it on it's own with no interaction from me while it was in the garage.
I'm a new owner and maybe don't understand the process entirely, but I understood that while software updates are downloaded automatically, the actual installation needs to be approved by the owner. Is that not correct? So if true, and a software update needs to be installed to return a vehicle to pre-boost levels after a refund, does the owner not have some degree of control over when that happens?

I'm a new owner and maybe don't understand the process entirely, but I understood that while software updates are downloaded automatically, the actual installation needs to be approved by the owner. Is that not correct? So if true, and a software update needs to be installed to return a vehicle to pre-boost levels after a refund, does the owner not have some degree of control over when that happens?

The boost is already in the code of your latest software build. All Tesla does is it turns it off or on and you can't stop it because your car is internet enabled at all times. When you buy the boost, its almost immediate as there is no additional download needed...its just a software trigger.

Reactions: TallTexDriver
There is no approval needed, it just pushes it and restarts.

If you drive at exactly the same speed for a boost vs. non-boost Model Y, it will be the same. The boost only impacts the potential power output to a higher mode. In reality, the punchy feeling is much greater so you'll tend to want to drive a bit more spiritedly so you may lose range due to your driving habits changing.

From an EPA perspective, a Model Y performance with the same wheel package as the LR AWD, has the same EPA figure.

How is this known? Did Tesla state it? Did somebody test it?

• Disagree
Reactions: Stach
No, but having more power available doesn't equal less range. If you don't use it, you are using the same amount of power to go from point A to point B. Having more power available doesn't equate to additional losses somewhere else. The self control factor is the only variable in the mix.

Theoretically, that makes sense. However, when you monkey with the algorithms, unexpected things can occur. For example, some aspects of the new algorithms could theoretically also decrease efficiency depending on what the algorithms are doing and how they are doing it. Enough people on this forum should have had it long enough to at least get a ballpark sense of any difference. I'm surprised none of you did a before and after comparison and you all are just assuming the range is the same.

• Disagree

How is it not known when the Performance model with the exact same motor and wheels, producing more power than the boost version, has the exact same EPA rating as the long-range AWD? The boost just gives you slightly more juice to get performance halfway between the regular AWD version and the Performance version.

How is it not known when the Performance model with the exact same motor and wheels, producing more power than the boost version, has the exact same EPA rating as the long-range AWD? The boost just gives you slightly more juice to get performance halfway between the regular AWD version and the Performance version.

I just went on Tesla's website to verify your statement. I found:

Model Y

Long Range 316 miles
Performance 291 miles

The Performance has 25 miles less range.

So by your approach, there would be a decrease in range, presumably less than 25 miles.

• Disagree
Reactions: ks1972 and Stach

Model Y

Long Range 316 miles
Performance 291 miles

So by your approach, there would be a decrease in range, presumably less than 25 miles.

Not quite. I said same motor and WHEELS. When you could first order a Model Y Performance you had 2 options. One was to retain the same wheel package as the standard AWD or get the 21 inch Uberturbines. The first option had the exact same EPA ratings. This was also the case for the Model 3 where the Performance with 18s had the exact same EPA rating as the AWD with 18s. They removed the first option so now, you only get the much bigger 21 inch wheels which causes the loss in range. This has been discussed multiple time in Model 3 forums so if you search there, you will find the same answer i've given you here.

Not quite. I said same motor and WHEELS. When you could first order a Model Y Performance you had 2 options. One was to retain the same wheel package as the standard AWD or get the 21 inch Uberturbines. The first option had the exact same EPA ratings. This was also the case for the Model 3 where the Performance with 18s had the exact same EPA rating as the AWD with 18s. They removed the first option so now, you only get the much bigger 21 inch wheels which causes the loss in range. This has been discussed multiple time in Model 3 forums so if you search there, you will find the same answer i've given you here.

Hmmm. Thanks for explaining that.

Model Y

Long Range 316 miles
Performance 291 miles

Back when they had an MYP with 19" wheels, it was rated for 315 miles. There is nothing different in efficiency with a software change that allows the peak power to be higher when the motor is under normal load. Maybe the 1 mile rating difference between the AWD and MYP was the spoiler, maybe it was the 980 vs 990, but I suspect it is a rounding error.

Purchased the Acceleration Boost this evening and my car had the update an hour later! Definitely more responsive off the line and power feels more linear. This will definitely keep a smile on my face until I get my next Model Y (probably the Performance) in 3 years when this lease is up. Coming from a BMW X5 M Sport with performance enhancement, my MY is the best driving car I’ve ever had!

I've appreciated reading everyone's experiences with the performance boost so far, I was hoping it would deliver a noticeable improvement.

I'm curious how it compares to the Performance Y; I assume it doesn't match that driving experience given that the 0-60 is still slower, but I'm wondering if there's anyone that's given both (Perf Y & performance boosted LR) that can compare.