Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Boost Available

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yup. This is the best bang for the buck and quickest way to gain 0-60 performance.

- A set of lightweight rims would set you back at least $2000 for maybe 0.1s.
- Adding new performance rubber is another $1000.
- SWAG: Modding an ICE engine to gain 0.5s would be approx $10k.

I paid $1200 for the Tesla hitch (...UGH) so this perf boost is kind of a no brainer.

a .5 second 0-60 drop in car enthusiast terms is YUGE.

For non car spouses, its more like "hey, feels a wee bit peppier. Its ok. Kinda like it. Wait..how much did this cost? I hate you"

Reactions: phantasms
Here's a great video going over the boost update with the Model 3. Make sure to watch it through as the data he says when he was in the car was slower than it really was and explains it later on.

In summary in a rolling race the boosted AWD was nearly identical to the Performance car. The boosted car is held back a bit on the jump for obvious reasons but once you're going it's essentially a P. Considering I'm sure many people didn't buy the Model Y P because of the gigantic heavy wheels I expect any reasonable person to purchase this upgrade. :)

The Boost is a no brainer

Agh! I made the purchase this morning and immediately got a text from Chase saying they suspected the transaction to be fraudulent and blocked it! Didn't they know I was trying to fork over more money to Tesla intentionally?!

Anyway... now the upgrade is showing as purchased on my app but the car still says "chill/standard" instead of "chill/sport". Bummer. On hold waiting to speak with Tesla support and get a fix.

I have a road trip today and want to play with my new toy! :)

Agh! I made the purchase this morning and immediately got a text from Chase saying they suspected the transaction to be fraudulent and blocked it! Didn't they know I was trying to fork over more money to Tesla intentionally?!

Anyway... now the upgrade is showing as purchased on my app but the car still says "chill/standard" instead of "chill/sport". Bummer. On hold waiting to speak with Tesla support and get a fix.

I have a road trip today and want to play with my new toy! :)

***Update*** Tesla was able to push the update through. I got in my car and it automatically went through a reboot phase. After the reboot was done, acceleration options changed from "chill/standard" to "chill/sport". Took it around the block for a quick test and it is NOTIACBLY faster (and more fun) now! Enjoy!

***Update*** Tesla was able to push the update through. I got in my car and it automatically went through a reboot phase. After the reboot was done, acceleration options changed from "chill/standard" to "chill/sport". Took it around the block for a quick test and it is NOTIACBLY faster (and more fun) now! Enjoy!

Great to hear! Can you please confirm in your typical driving (not mashing it right now for fun), your kWh is the same, and your range when charged is the same as it was prior to the upgrade?

Agreed ...it’s noticeable. Definitely more punch on the lower end now. I previously had a model x p100d and that literally made your head bleed. I agree with the comment ...it’s more fun now in a non subarachnoid hemorrhage kind of way. I believe it’s worth the $2k in my irrational and impulsive spending opinion.

Is there any chance this upgrade will end up deteriorating parts of the car that much faster? Tires for sure. But what about the motors? I presume Tesla has figured out it is safe for the first 50K miles, but do you all think any part of the car will deteriorate faster over time?

I frankly don't know how they accomplish this other than to reprogram the car to give the motors more energy on acceleration, which would I assume produces more heat.

Yup. This is the best bang for the buck and quickest way to gain 0-60 performance.

- A set of lightweight rims would set you back at least $2000 for maybe 0.1s.
- Adding new performance rubber is another $1000.
- SWAG: Modding an ICE engine to gain 0.5s would be approx $10k.

I paid $1200 for the Tesla hitch (...UGH) so this perf boost is kind of a no brainer.

White I agree this is a great deal for a 0.5 second increase, 10K for an ICE to gain 0.5 is woefully inaccurate and completely dependent on the motor. Give me any LSx vehicle, a welder , 5K and a weekend and Ill make 800+ horsepower with some left on the table. You can easily gain 0.5s on a 0-60 on a Pontiac GTP or Subaru WRX with a remap and 500 bucks in parts IF you do that install your self. Where things get annoying is you actually have to put the effort into installing the parts vs I click a button on my phone, money disappears and speed appears.

Is there any chance this upgrade will end up deteriorating parts of the car that much faster? Tires for sure. But what about the motors? I presume Tesla has figured out it is safe for the first 50K miles, but do you all think any part of the car will deteriorate faster over time?

I frankly don't know how they accomplish this other than to reprogram the car to give the motors more energy on acceleration, which would I assume produces more heat.

I think it's just the same as the performance upgrade. I know people talk about "binning" , taking the better performing motors and moving them to the Performance category model. It's all just a change in the mapping of the computer and what it allows. The LR AWD is capable of better performance they just limit what it allows. (that's how I think about it anyway).