Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Boost

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
HO-O LY Shoot. I have a 980! Come on Tesla. Let's do this. No wonder it feels faster than my model X.

00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200914165044050_COVER.jpg

Last edited:
lol this is like the Model 3 forum 18 months ago.

980 and 990 will be eligible for the boost when it comes.

Yes the 980 is the P motor. They did the same thing on the Model 3. In fact I have a 980 motor Model 3. I’ve received nothing different from 990 motors. A 990 AWD Model 3 can be boosted just the same.

The real question is will they ever offer 980 motor owners the ability to go full P. I desperately want this for my 3. Are they able to? Not sure but would guess so. Will they? I don’t think so.

lol this is like the Model 3 forum 18 months ago.

980 and 990 will be eligible for the boost when it comes.

Yes the 980 is the P motor. They did the same thing on the Model 3. In fact I have a 980 motor Model 3. I’ve received nothing different from 990 motors. A 990 AWD Model 3 can be boosted just the same.

The real question is will they ever offer 980 motor owners the ability to go full P. I desperately want this for my 3. Are they able to? Not sure but would guess so. Will they? I don’t think so.
That is awesome. I would love to reach out to Tesla and ask them about going full performance, but then there would be this fee I'm not ready for. Oh heck. I'd do it anyway. It's interesting that the power delivery is way different than in the X. It feels progressive not leaner. Here's hoping for the performance upgrade. Hoping this Friday to get both the X and the Y to the track. The X does 1/4 mile 13.2 sec. Not sure what the Y will do. Want to line them up together.

How do you find it I tried today with no luck.

MY-Y posted this earlier (see below). Take your phone and place it inside behind the LR left rear (drivers side rear) wheel, pointing towards the center of vehicle, parallel to ground, take some pictures. I had to lay on the ground to do this. Alternately you could jack up the car and take off the LR wheel and you should be able to see it easier.

Hold your phone behind the front of your rear driver's tire and take a bunch of pictures. You'll be able to read your motor plate number to see the version. Here is mine. The top number ends in 990 (AWD) vs 980 for performance. View attachment 557774

Here is mine, looks like I have the performance (980) motor even though I just have the long range (non performance) car, VIN 60xx and 8th digit is F:

Attachments

• IMG_9575.jpg
    IMG_9575.jpg
    446.3 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
I'm pretty sure you can just look at your VIN as well. F=980, E=990.

I'm not sure which is better to have on an AWD. Many posts claim the performance is SW set and identical. Some posts claim the 990 is more reliable. There is much discussion on old M3 forums about this.