Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Brakes fitting 20" Sport Wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys,

I'm curious if you guys know if the 20" OEM Sport Wheels will fit over the OEM red performance brakes?

I originally bought the P3-, and then decided I wanted a lot of the PUP accessories.

I reverse-engineered and bought the OEM 20" sport wheels first, and had them installed. Thinking they were the same as the 20" performance wheels.

I already purchased the brakes recently from a third party seller. Any chance it would work? Or do I need to buy new wheels?

Worst case they kick it in my Batcave or I re-sell them haha.

Thanks in advance, and any potential work-arounds?

Hi J-Ray,

Nobody can know for sure, because Tesla keeps changing things without telling us. So if you already have the brakes and the wheels, give it a try and let us know. :)

I'm not certain I understand what you mean when you say you bought "the brakes". Did you just buy a + red brake cover, or did you buy the whole + wheel/hub assembly? While I'm not positive that the + brake pads/cover will fit over the - wheel/hub assembly (I haven't heard of anybody trying that, though I am sure somebody has), if it does I think you will be OK with your wheels because I don't think the size of the brake pads/cover is the issue. I think the problem with the wheels Tesla sells in the store is that they don't fit over a new ridge on the + wheel/hub assembly.

If you do have the whole wheel/hub assembly, and the 20" tires you have don't fit on it, I think your only choice is to find a + owner selling their 20" + wheels (plenty have been on here), or go to one of the few vendors that sells wheels that fit the +. TireRack and TSportline both do. There are a couple of others, but I can't remember the names and the last time I checked they were more expensive and/or heavier than the other options. I hope somebody else can name them for you.

Good luck!

Last edited:
0FA25A10-2544-4998-8E2E-9596E578EEE1.jpeg
71B3EF3B-B172-4B55-A689-C032AFA146C5.jpeg
Hey guys,

I'm curious if you guys know if the 20" OEM Sport Wheels will fit over the OEM red performance brakes?

I originally bought the P3-, and then decided I wanted a lot of the PUP accessories.

I reverse-engineered and bought the OEM 20" sport wheels first, and had them installed. Thinking they were the same as the 20" performance wheels.

I already purchased the brakes recently from a third party seller. Any chance it would work? Or do I need to buy new wheels?

Worst case they kick it in my Batcave or I re-sell them haha.

Thanks in advance, and any potential work-arounds?

i just put 380mm rotor on the oem 19 whell :) they fit perfectly and my caliper is way bigger than the performance one !!

Reactions: aspec818
The 20-in wheels that Tesla sells in their store are different than the 20 in wheels that come on the performance model 3.

Yeah they look the same so it is very confusing. But the performance hubs are different so the wheels have to be different.

The performance wheels fit just fine on non-performance cars, so I don't know why Tesla doesn't just make all 20-in wheels the performance version...

The Performance brake rotors have an extra lip on them that only the Performance 20" rims have the notch cut out for. The OEM 20" rims from Tesla's website doesn't have the notch cut out on the hub to fit the OEM Performance brake rotors. That said, you can simply add a 3-5mm spacer over the larger hub lip to make the OEM 20" fit. Otherwise, I do have my Performance 20" rims (just the rims) for sale too if you're interested! :D *shameless plug*

• Funny
Reactions: Panda1
Hubs are the same on both cars. The difference is the rotor hat on the Performance is thinner, exposing a larger diameter part of the hub. The Performance wheels are machined to accommodate it. You might be able to have the lip machined at a shop. I think I remember someone posting about doing it with a router.

The performance wheels fit just fine on non-performance cars, so I don't know why Tesla doesn't just make all 20-in wheels the performance version...

The stock 20" wheels that come with the 3P+ (not the ones on the website) actually are not quite right on the regular 3 (not P+). They have the wrong offset (35mm, rather than 40mm). So they will sit ~5mm too far out (because the rotor hat is thicker on all other 3s) when installed on a 3 with the regular brakes.

They could make all the wheels the 40mm offset ones (what we're calling the 'OEM 20" ' here, I guess), but then the P+ would need to run a ~5mm spacer (to get the offset right, and to clear the exposed hub "lip" - the larger diameter part of the hub), as described above.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: ChadS