Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

performance brakes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can you show me a competition or performance caliper that uses such a bolt?
The Wilwoods I had on my Dodge did not.
I looked at a bunch of Porsche calipers and it looks like the performance ones have a bridge or two.
I'm thinking that the larger calipers with six or eight pistons may generate too much force over a large area to manage the caliper stiffness with bolts. But the engineer in me says that it should be possible.

These are the Porsche calipers I use on the brake kit I manufactured for my race car, sourced from the Porsche Motorsport department and used on the 911 Supercup race cars, as well as the road going GT3 RS models.
518CD873-1FA2-4D46-A107-E834F35260F9.jpeg
5973D413-2A4C-4C6D-AC13-0C651A85D035.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: SD_Engnr
Is there a way to search for perfomance brake pads of that shape that will work on the Model 3 Performance?

I googled it and got a lot of results for FMSI D1001. Is that a completely different pad shape?

D1001 is correct. Since Brembo supplies many OEM, they use the same pad sizes when appropriate to minimize tooling costs. The [D]1001 is one of the most common modern Brembo 4-piston caliper pads out there. You can see on Racing Brake and Porterfield's sites; they show the FMSI numbers. So, while there are a ton of front pad options out there, the issue is the seemingly unique rear pad. This makes matched mu pads an issue. As it stands ATM AFAIK, it's just RB, Carbotech, and whatever compound Unplugged's offering is for matched Performance sets.

Any idea what those cost?

The calipers used to cost around £300 each from Porsche Motorsport, trade price, but then Porsche increased the price to around £850 per caliper. I did sell the whole kit for the Mitsubishi Evo, using cryo treated AP racing discs, my customs bells and brackets, Castrol SRF fluid, braided hoses, Carbotech XP10 pads, and temp monitoring on the calipers and discs for £2250 GBP.

Let me sneak a related question into this thread: what are you track guys doing to put the car on jack stands? The jack point mega thread is full of very risk averse people. On my BMW M3, I'd center jack on the subframe cradle; has anyone tried that?

Unless you need to get under the car, the 1.5 Ton Alum jack from harbor freight should be good enough. If you have to put the car on jack stand, then Home is probably the go to stands for Model 3

Let me sneak a related question into this thread: what are you track guys doing to put the car on jack stands? The jack point mega thread is full of very risk averse people. On my BMW M3, I'd center jack on the subframe cradle; has anyone tried that?
I've just been going one corner at a time. I put the car on stands once using two floor jacks and stands under the lower control arms and I almost dropped it bringing it back down. That was a pucker moment..

I am 99% sure D1001 won't work on the performance 3 with upgraded front caliper. The ear part is not long enough.

This is absolutely, 100% correct. The D1001 Pad is a different shape!!

They are not plug and play and will end up in the wrong spot. They are otherwise basically the same, but the ears are not long enough on the D1001 so you will end up with the pad not making full contact with the rotor. It's a solid 5mm too, not something negligible. Apparently, I only took one (crappy) photo when I compared them back in February, but you can see the difference.

Attachments

• IMG_20190217_094108.jpg
    IMG_20190217_094108.jpg
    805.5 KB · Views: 58
@MasterC17 in your picture, is the D1001 on the bottom? Thank you for clarifying. Looking again, RacingBrake.com shows the Model 3 Performance's front pad as D1001P.

Yes, the 1001 pad design is on the bottom in that photo. Here's another to show the difference. The Pad RB sells IS different, as designated by the part number. You can also see it just by looking at the photo they provide (notably tall ears).

Attachments

• IMG_20200114_131006.jpg
    IMG_20200114_131006.jpg
    578 KB · Views: 50
  • Informative
Reactions: Ryephile