Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Charge Questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From what I understand performance and range mode charges except for that range mode aggressively cools down the pack (more than standard mode) and it doesn't do cooling with performance mode. As mentioned in order to achieve driving current out of the battery pack faster right after the charge, higher battery temps have to be higher. ...pushes the electrons out faster I presume (since they're expanded?). I recall there was a discussion on range/perf chargin this in the forum.

I talked to Tesla about how they got the 3.9/3.7 0-60 times and they stated charging up fully in perf. mode ( possibly in the desert to achieve higher temps ) and they stated your 1st run will be your fastest run and after that your times will drop.

I never asked what SOC the pack was at when they started charging nor what the end temp of the pack when the charge was completed, I'm sure that is a variable since as dhrivnak indicated. if you're at 3/4 charge or above such as a std. mode charge you may not have enough heat generated by the perf charge to get the best 0-60 run.

Yes, Range and Performance both use the same SOC. Range mode aggressively chills the pack to protect the battery against degradation while at high SOC. Performance lets the battery reach high temperature and high SOC, which is great for power delivery but not so great for battery life.

Jeez, this performance charge is taking forever! I charged it last night at standard charge to 175 miles. I've had it on performance for almost two hours at 30 amps and it's still charging, showing 205 miles. Seems much slower than the range charge.

- - - Updated - - -

I never asked what SOC the pack was at when they started charging nor what the end temp of the pack when the charge was completed, I'm sure that is a variable since as dhrivnak indicated. if you're at 3/4 charge or above such as a std. mode charge you may not have enough heat generated by the perf charge to get the best 0-60 run.[/QUOTE]

That's probably why my performance charge is taking so long, maybe it takes whatever time is needed to reach a certain temp?