Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance discharging much faster than M3 LR..

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know the technical specifications of the 2 motors and battery comparing Performance model and M3 LR RWD models? I've driven M3 LR for 10k miles, and miles prediction were always on spot according to the Battery Measure, like I would run 20 miles and would match the battery estimation 1:1.... consumption were about 150 kwh - 250 kwh... on average... was pretty good if you ask me.

Now 500 miles driven with Performance, I'm feeling the discharge is 30% off compared to estimations of the battery.. for instance, I've only driven 100miles in 2 days.. but battery dropped from 274 miles to 140 now... like 134 miles... I understand, AWD, Performance motor, Wheels etc.. all make it discharge much more, BUT I was told it had a range of 310 miles same as the M3 LR... so I am kind of expecting it.

Any geek can geek this out? haha...

Appreciate it.

-Dan

The LR RWD was voluntarily reduced to 310 range. It roughly matches the AWD range which was not reduced. So there is more upside in the LR.

The Performance AWD I've read is roughly 5-10% lower due to low profile tires.

Probably has more to do with temp.

Does anyone know the technical specifications of the 2 motors and battery comparing Performance model and M3 LR RWD models? I've driven M3 LR for 10k miles, and miles prediction were always on spot according to the Battery Measure, like I would run 20 miles and would match the battery estimation 1:1.... consumption were about 150 kwh - 250 kwh... on average... was pretty good if you ask me.

Now 500 miles driven with Performance, I'm feeling the discharge is 30% off compared to estimations of the battery.. for instance, I've only driven 100miles in 2 days.. but battery dropped from 274 miles to 140 now... like 134 miles... I understand, AWD, Performance motor, Wheels etc.. all make it discharge much more, BUT I was told it had a range of 310 miles same as the M3 LR... so I am kind of expecting it.

Any geek can geek this out? haha...

Appreciate it.

-Dan
sounds about right, maybe a little on the highside, but I bet your accelerating more too. You take a hit with AWD, you take another hit if you get the 20's. What is is about 13% for the 20's alone?

You can hit the rated mileage if you accelerate slowly and limit your speed to 60 MPH in good weather... As shown in the chart that TT97 just linked to above. I have the AWD which is close and experience 250-260 miles since average speed on roads is 70-75 MPH in good weather.

I have both a 3LR and a P3D+. The 20" Pilot Sport 4S tires can absolutely kill the range. On the Michelin Primacy MXM4 on the 3LR, I can average 235 Wh/mi easily in typical freeway driving, and can go down to around 220 Wh/mi on a road trip.

The P3D with the Pilot Sport 4S tires averages a good 325 Wh/mi, and that's without hammering it from every stop light (do that and it'll be well over 400). On a road trip I can get it under 300, maybe 290 if I'm lucky.

I just put some 18" Vredestein Quatrac 5's on the P3D and I can already get 260 around town in freeway driving.

The Pilot Sport 4S's are just really sticky and inefficient, which is expected for a summer tire.

Incidentally, heavy rain/water driving will kill your range, too. I just did a round trip from Houston->Dallas->Houston with 18" Nokian WRG4's in the 3LR in heavy rain both ways, and never went below about 320 Wh/mi.

Basically everything has already been answered above...

LR RWD vs. P3D+:
AWD & P3D are less efficient; LR range is actually truly ~340 miles as mentioned, whereas AWD is really close to ~310 miles, driven efficiently. This is due to inefficiency of front motor (it's an AC motor which is less efficient that the rear motor) and additional losses of having to coast that motor & spin the axles & other drivetrain components, even if it isn't really being used.
P3D+ Tires -> as people have mentioned. This is one primary factor, and it's huge. It takes you down from the 310 achievable with the AWD to probably something closer to 270 miles best case (see the tables linked to above, though they are just estimates).

Weather -> You've been dealing with cooler temps, so the heater is getting used, as compared to the summer you dealt with previously in your RWD. AC is a LOT more efficient than the heater (because A/C is a reverse heat pump). For perspective, without solar heating, the heater uses about 2kW when heating interior to 70 degrees with outside temperature of 60 degrees. And that's AFTER the interior warms up. Initially the heater can use over 10kW! If it takes 5 minutes to warm up, that could be perhaps 500-800Wh of battery use (distribute that over the length of your drive...in addition to the steady-state use). As mentioned, rain makes it even worse. Usually in LA "cold" and rain come hand in hand...

For me, in P3D+, I am very gentle with the cabin heat, drive efficiently (mostly), and I'm averaging 300Wh/mi over 900 miles. Depending on whether you're dealing with hills (I have some and due to energy "slosh" they will result in lower efficiency than perfectly flat driving, even if net elevation gain is 0), I don't think you're likely to see much better than that for day-to-day runs. For a longer, conservative drive (limit top speed, modest drafting off traffic, no heat!), you can probably get closer to 270Wh/mi (would give about 275 miles range).

I've been told the numbers will come down a LITTLE when the tires become slightly more flexible with use (lowers rolling resistance), after around 1k miles. But I think this is likely to be a very small change, and totally insignificant compared to the other factors. For me the Wh/mi usage has been going up over the first 1000 miles, as the temperatures have come down.

As suggested, if you get a set of 18" wheels that fit your calipers & have the correct offset for the brake rotors, the MXM4 tires will allow you to hit nearly 310 miles (but still won't be as good as your RWD was - and you won't be able to use aeros), if you're not using climate control and driving efficiently. Might be a good idea for road trips, but it has a significant negative effect on your braking distance & handling.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: OverJohn