Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Enhancement for my late Q3 2016 Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It looks like my Model X will receive some form of the Performance Enhancement referenced in this Electrek post.
I have a Service Center appointment scheduled for tomorrow (23 OCT), and I called the Service Center this morning and asked to receive this update if my vehicle was eligible.

After he pulled up my information, the Service Center dispatcher took about 10 seconds after saying 'let me check on something first' and indicated that my vehicle was eligible for this work and it should take a couple hours if all goes well.

Any questions that y'all think I should ask while I'm at the SC or performance metrics I should try to evaluate before/after dropoff?

Do y'all have any thoughts on why this work requires on site work instead of an OTA update?

Here's my vehicle info:
-Model X 75D AP1
-VIN: 0152XX Delivery in September 2016

The criteria is very odd. Reading between the lines, my take is that it requires the new rear drive unit, but is just a software change. But since Tesla can't say VINs after xyz, or production dates after xyz, it's likely both versions of the drive unit were being used in production for some period of time. This makes it very difficult to communicate to customers. So the solution is rather than say all will be done via OTA, they say talk to the service center. They can look to see which DU the car has and communicate with the customer. If it's the old one, the customer experience isn't great, but it's managed.

The criteria is very odd. Reading between the lines, my take is that it requires the new rear drive unit, but is just a software change. But since Tesla can't say VINs after xyz, or production dates after xyz, it's likely both versions of the drive unit were being used in production for some period of time. This makes it very difficult to communicate to customers. So the solution is rather than say all will be done via OTA, they say talk to the service center. They can look to see which DU the car has and communicate with the customer. If it's the old one, the customer experience isn't great, but it's managed.

Agreed... Seems a little funky... especially given that the Service Center dispatcher was seemingly able to verify my vehicle's eligibility through something on his laptop (i.e. without looking at the vehicle). It seems like everyone is working with positive intent though! There's no arguing with a free capability upgrade... The traditional dealer model would likely charge... We're just already spoiled with rapid OTA firmware releases

I would think that data would also be available to discriminate OTA update distribution as well...

Wow! @andrewket I see two P100DLs on your signature line! Super cool!

I'm also pending solar install in the next few weeks... I dont think I'll be catching up to you on the rest any time soon tho! LOL

Just a quick update here:
-The 2 x technicians I chatted with when I dropped off my Model X were aware of the Performance Enhancement but didnt provide any indicators that they had performed this work on any vehicles themselves
-They indicated that the update/upgrade workorder 'should' be automatically applied to the "RO" for any eligible vehicle that comes in for service so that it shouldnt require any active request from the owner or proactive investigation by a technician
-One technician indicated that that the change may improve certain performance characteristics by 'almost 20%'... this statement seemed conversational... no specific metrics or exact claims.

My Sep 16 16xxx VIN X75D was in service waiting for parts before the announcement and they will perform the firmware upgrade this week. I should get it later this week to test out the improved performance.

I just received the following update from Tesla Service by SMS: "...they've performed the uncork performance upgrade on your vehicle..."

I guess that confirmed that my VIN is eligible and also confirmed the very cute internal name that they are using for the enhancement. LOL!
:D

I just received the following update from Tesla Service by SMS: "...they've performed the uncork performance upgrade on your vehicle..."
Just to confirm: that is an exact quote of the test you received?

I thought the “uncork” term was something that someone on TMC invented. Didn’t realize that was how Tesla was referring to it.

My Sep 16 16xxx VIN X75D was in service waiting for parts before the announcement and they will perform the firmware upgrade this week. I should get it later this week to test out the improved performance.

Just got the car back with following upgrade performed:

Concern: 75D Firmware Update to Increase Performance
Pay Type: Warranty
Corrections: Update Configuration Variable and Vehicle Firmware to Increase 75D
Performance
Technician performed 75D performance update. Technician confirmed operating as
designed at this time.

Reactions: MajorCuddles
Just to confirm: that is an exact quote of the test you received?

I thought the “uncork” term was something that someone on TMC invented. Didn’t realize that was how Tesla was referring to it.
It’s indeed a term used by Tesla in their system. For example the diagnostic screen shows whether the car is “uncorked”.

As for whether a car is eligible, it seems like whether the car was equipped with the high amperage fuse when built. My SC used the term “capablility” to refer this.