Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance front brake pads

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
3B9C160B-3810-482C-B890-07B8F9791EF8.png
A friend of mine gave me the following information, use at your own risk:

After seeing reports about front brake pad issues on track in a model 3 I decided to work on a solution. So here is what I came up with:

The front pads are almost identical to the 2003 Dodge Viper pads. I found two differences:

1. The Bosch aftermarket Viper pads are about 18 mm thick and the 1,000 mile Model 3 pads are about 16mm thick.
2. The metal backing plate is a little taller at the upper corners.

I installed aftermarket Bosh pads for the Viper on the outside pads for a test drive. They were almost too thick for the outside and I couldn’t fit them on the inside. They worked perfectly. At some point I will order performance pads.

I will probably buy the Yellowstuff EBC pads at some point since they spec 16mm thickness.

Other choices include Hawk pads that have 610 as the last three digits (0.61” is close to 16mm), your favorite brand and have some brake pad material removed by a professional, used pads from a Viper of the appropriate years.

The pencil in the picture points to where the metal backing isn’t as tall as the stock brake pads.

Nice find. Was there any Brembo part numbers on the pad? I did a search on the numbers shown in your attachment, but no match. Brembo number is like nn.nnnn.nn . Any Brembo part numbers on the caliper to do a pad lookup? The S has the same pads as certain models of Hyundai and Jeep per Centric site. If we can match the Brembo part number, maybe can find some Centric Posi-Quiet ceramic pads that would fit the 3.

My friend said the only part numbers on the pad are shownin the picture. He couldn’t find any link to Brembo part numbers. He said he didn’t think to look for part numbers on the calipers. His next project is rear brake pads. I told him about the Laguna Seca driver video with almost worn out rear pads.

This is also interesting: "Lots of pads use this shape with a few minor changes. Mustang GT500 pads look to be an almost exact match. Owners should be able to find performance pads easily."
Twitter

The pads were the only reason my Model 3 had to go back to the pit after only 3 laps at the Mid-Ohio track this weekend.

I did a bit of research based on the information in this thread and think that Brembo pads part# P09004N might be a good fit:
Catalog of brake rotors and brake pads Pontiac G8 2009
These pads fit a nomber of vehicles which are listed under "Compatible Vehicles".

Maybe we can go and get a cheap set at Autozone for one of those vehicles and check whether they will fit the Model 3 - e.g.:
https://www.autozone.com/brakes-and...e-pads/duralast-brake-pads/649260_420698_1610

Also, looking for these cars at the Hawk site indicated that this pad might be a good fit:
HB453B.585

This one lists 2015 Model S as a car that would fit these pads (I suspect 2015+ years would fit as they do not have cars beyond 2015) - would a Model S & Model 3 owner care to take the pads off and compare them?

• Informative
Reactions: stayfocus18
Why mess around with trying different pads? Just contact a company like Carbotech to get some pads made.

I am sure if there is a bunch of interest they can bring the cost down.

Carbotech Performance Brakes: Products

From their website:
View the pads we carry by maker and model. If you don't see the make and model of your vehicle, that doesn't mean we can't make your brake pads/shoes. We can make any brake pad/shoe with your choice of any Carbotech compound, just give us a call at 877-899-5024 or email us at [email protected]

Reactions: Msjulie
D7FDDCFF-1757-4DEA-BF57-A7958D0E7FC5.png
My friend already purchased a cheap set of pads and checked and they fit. It looks like the Pontiac G8/2015 Model S pads would fit in the caliper but are not as tall as the Model 3 pads. Why are you trying to reinvent the wheel rtanov?

I like the carbotech idea but I am trying to get them soon and at a reasonable price.

I was sent pics of the rear brake pads. Does anyone have a 2015-2017 mustang that has pads that look like the attached picture?

Reactions: rtanov
We ordered a set of Hawk DTC-70 pads that have the same shape as the Model 3 pads, just with a larger annulus (they extend further down towards the center of the rotor compared to the M3 pads). We're going to have the bottom of the pads machined shortly.. and we have something else in the works that we'll be teasing soon too :)

Rear brake pads still haven't been sourced, so that will be something really nice to get sorted out.

@AltLogic, sorry I got the impression that you were looking but still had not quite found the performance pads that would fit. Please let us know what are the pads that your friend got. I was just shooting in the dark trying to find something that might work.
Nice picture of the rear pads as we have to figure them too.

We ordered a set of Hawk DTC-70 pads that have the same shape as the Model 3 pads, just with a larger annulus (they extend further down towards the center of the rotor compared to the M3 pads). We're going to have the bottom of the pads machined shortly.. and we have something else in the works that we'll be teasing soon too :)

Rear brake pads still haven't been sourced, so that will be something really nice to get sorted out.
BTW, I had to machine a set of rears for my son's track car the other day, he's grinding them at the track right now ;-)
Screenshot_20180519-103634.png

Reactions: tracksyde
EV's are a bit heavy for iron brakes, even with higher performance pads.

Believe the pads will be only a temporary solution for track use, until Ceramic brakes are introduced for our Tesla.

The curb weight of the LR 3 is 3814. Curb weight of a BMW 340i is 3687. A4 is 3619. Bottom line is the 3’s weight is not an issue with stock Brembo 4 Piston calipers and rotors with good aftermarket street/track day pads.

Yes absolutely. I've raced professionally with Camaro's that were over 3700lbs full of fuel, with 500+ horsepower at the wheels. Iron brakes work fine when the correct pad and fluid is used, as long as there is enough rotor mass and cooling to dissipate the heat.

The model 3 with far less power for fun track days will have no problem with standard iron brakes. No need to re-invent the wheel here!

Photo attached of the Camaro Z28.R at Watkins Glen where I was hired to drive to fill in for the main driver on a weekend when he had a conflict. We ended up being the fastest car on track in the rain! These are 2.5 hour endurance races with pit stops including driver changes, re-fueling and tire changes. Lots of fun!

@rtanov what rear pad shape did you start with?

It won't be long until most of the large pad manufactures have all of their compounds available for the Model 3. This way the serious ones can have track specific pads that they pop in trackside, and weekend warriors can have a more streetable pad. The great thing about these cars is you can run very aggressive pads on the street as you can just one-pedal drive most everywhere and not need to worry about eating up rotors!

Attachments

• _WML5717 (Large).jpg
    _WML5717 (Large).jpg
    144 KB · Views: 392
Still think that Ceramic brakes will be required for track use on the model 3, especially the performance model.

The acceleration and power out of the corner, with the advanced torque/anti slip technology may make these cars much faster than ICE vehicles on the same track. The regen braking will not provide enough negative torque to take much work off the iron brakes, as it will be mostly useful for setteling the car before going into the quicker corners, and the friction brakes will do most of the deceleration.

Agressive brake pads are usually much more dusty and grind down the expensive rotors much more quickly than the standard pads.

While the standard brakes might be OK for a casual performance driving school, for real racing the ceramics will most likely be best at lasting for more than a couple track days.

Early results from 3's at the tracks will give us a better understanding of how the stock set up resolves.