Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance has better range than LR?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This test is from July 2020. Tesla has, since then, released software that improves efficiency in the Model Y. Tesla has released revised EPA range numbers for both the LR and Performance Model Y since this test was performed; the estimated combined range is now 303 miles for the Performance Model Y and 326 miles for the Long Range Dual Motor (LRDM) Model Y. The Performance Model Y is currently only available with the larger 21" wheels. The LRDM Model Y comes with the smaller, lighter 19" wheels. The difference in range and efficiency is 7.6%; the difference in the size and weight of the wheels would account for the different range estimate numbers. They should rerun the test with the latest software and configurations.

Last edited:
This test is from July 2020. Tesla has, since then, released software that improves efficiency in the Model Y. Tesla has released revised EPA range numbers for both the LR and Performance Model Y since this test was performed; the estimated combined range is now 303 miles for the Performance Model Y and 326 miles for the Long Range Dual Motor (LRDM) Model Y. The Performance Model Y is currently only available with the larger 21" wheels. The LRDM Model Y comes with the smaller, lighter 19" wheels. The difference in range and efficiency is 7.6%; the difference in the size and weight of the wheels would account for the different range estimate numbers. They should rerun the test with the latest software and configurations.
I would love them to do a test between a LR and P with same wheels. Wonder if rear motor has positive metrics to it. I think i read somewhere the P brakes, yet larger, are lighter and that between the rear motor and brakes everything else is the same.

The LR untinted side windows will let more heat inside vs Brian’s tinted side windows, and at outside temp (95F per Brian) the LR AC will have to work harder to keep cabin temp at 70F.

Brian’s P SOC is at 79% vs 98% for the David’s LR - maybe regen played a role here. Plus the LR was upfront the whole time - facing all the headwind.

My 2 cents...

The LR untinted side windows will let more heat inside vs Brian’s tinted side windows, and at outside temp (95F per Brian) the LR AC will have to work harder to keep cabin temp at 70F.

Brian’s P SOC is at 79% vs 98% for the David’s LR - maybe regen played a role here. Plus the LR was upfront the whole time - facing all the headwind.

My 2 cents...
This all could factor in.

This test wasn't really scientific but it at least shows in most real world cases efficiency is about the same.

My 2 cents...

SOC could have been a factor but they were way to far apart for any drafting effects. Even behind a big truck you need to be ridiculously close to draft.

At 70MPH you would normally be 120 feet or so as a minimum following distance. They maintained at least 6 cars lengths. Tests on drafting behind a similar sized car show you need to be inside 30 feet and to really get a effect inside 10 feet.