Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance hesitation off the line

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Don't turn it off. It happens rarely falsely, but one day it might save you from the trouble.
It always happens falsely for me. Not only that, if you're trying to turn into a lane, oncoming traffic could trigger it and if it's a tight merge the system will throttles your acceleration making the merge dangerous if there's a lot of traffic and you need the speed for a safe merge. Had mine on for a few months when I got the car before turning it off and never back on again.

It always happens falsely for me. Not only that, if you're trying to turn into a lane, oncoming traffic could trigger it and if it's a tight merge the system will throttles your acceleration making the merge dangerous if there's a lot of traffic and you need the speed for a safe merge. Had mine on for a few months when I got the car before turning it off and never back on again.
I suggest to talk with SC about it, because it's not a typical behaviour and I assume something is faulty with your car. Also, I don't think that situations you're talking about have anything to do with obstacle aware acceleration.

@Mash I've had Obstacle-Aware Acceleration (OAA) cut power on me in close heavy traffic merges similar to @zhu-'s experience. It seems to err slightly towards not allowing acceleration when it thinks there will be a close call.

On the surface that sounds safe, but it's not when I can't predict or trust that the car will follow my inputs. So now I usually have OAA off.

Thankfully Forward Collision Warning (FCW) is a separate setting and I usually leave that on. It serves much the same purpose, not as automatic of course, but enough to get my attention if I'm distracted and not driving safely.

Reactions: GtiMart and zhu-
I'll also say OAA wasn't a frequent issue for me at all. Maybe twice in the first 1k-2k miles. But when I give the car an input and it doesn't follow at all, that's dangerous and scary to me. Enough that I don't want to risk leaving OAA enabled even though potentially it could help someday. FCW strikes a better balance for me because I can ignore it when I so choose.

Also I hate driving in heavy traffic and try to avoid it, which means I generally avoid the worst situations for OAA. Might be if I drove in such traffic more I'd be even more frustrated with OAA.

Well, my experience is different with this option - it never did anything dangerous. Once per 10K it doesn't go full power from the complete stop. So either you actually drive too close or something is wrong with your sensors or roads are that different.

I anyway suggest to not switch it off just because somebody has a problem with it and make your own conclusion. It's still a safety feature that, I believe, has more value than potential drawbacks.

I agree with @Mash, it works fine for me.

By definition it should only trigger in 2 conditions:
- When you would have crashed
- Erroneously

So pretty much everyone who has experienced it (and certainly anyone complaining about it) has only seen it trigger in the latter case.
I only have 8K miles so far but the only time it happened to me was actually quite impressive: I kicked the pedal to the floor as the light turned green, confident that the speeding cross traffic to my left was stopping, albeit late. My car wasn't so confident though and it accelerated like an air cooled Volkswagen, gradually ramping up power as I held the pedal to the floor all the way thru the intersection. I was impressed that it saw the car nearly 90 degrees to my left and also by how well it ramped up power in a reasonable manner.
Sure, I could imagine a scenario where a runaway truck is coming up behind me and OAA won't let me plow over a baby stroller to get out of the way but I certainly believe the benefits of this feature, imperfect as it is, outweigh the drawbacks.

Reactions: Mash
For me the issue was not letting me get up to the speed of traffic in the lane or road I was merging into.

It also got in the way of passing on 2 lane rural roads. That part is understandable, I turn off AEB anyways for those roads, so turning off OAA just for them would be fine. But since OAA is also occasionally problematic for merges in heavy traffic urban areas, I just leave it off always now.

(Whereas I usually leave AEB on in urban areas! AEB has triggered erroneously in urban areas for me too, but it's rare and hasn't scared me so it still seems worth leaving enabled.)

It also got in the way of passing on 2 lane rural roads.

Not OAA. It only works to 10 MPH, not passing on 2 lane rural roads.

1645139492129.png

I turn off AEB anyways for those roads, so turning off OAA just for them would be fine. But since OAA is also occasionally problematic for merges in heavy traffic urban areas, I just leave it off always now.
Seriously, you go into the menu and turn of AEB every time you go on a rural road and then turn it back on when it gets more dense? What a pain and a silly amount of work.

The thing is, I thought you were the one that always turned on Track Mode when you took a spirited drive because you are so skilled and like to slide around on the road. But AEB is turned off in track mode....

Reactions: thesmokingman
Not OAA. It only works to 10 MPH, not passing on 2 lane rural roads.

View attachment 770535
That's interesting! I must be misremembering what happened, or I confused it with AEB. Probably confused it in the moment with AEB.

Seriously, you go into the menu and turn of AEB every time you go on a rural road and then turn it back on when it gets more dense? What a pain and a silly amount of work.
I agree. Would be nice if we could add custom homescreen shortcuts for settings we toggle often. Or if we could set them via the steering wheel controls (like we can some settings in our S). Since it requires digging through the menus I do it before starting down such roads.

If I had a quick easy toggle I'd probably leave AEB on pretty much always and just flip it off when I'm actually getting ready to pass!

The thing is, I thought you were the one that always turned on Track Mode when you took a spirited drive because you are so skilled and like to slide around on the road. But AEB is turned off in track mode....
I don't slide around on those roads. I probably wouldn't be alive to write this if I did. I use Track Mode on them for the extra strong regen.

I have wondered if Track Mode turns off AEB and other driver aids automatically. That would make sense to me, but I thought I checked once and saw the slider still on. So I turn it off manually now. Maybe I'm misremembering that or it's actually off even though the slider shows on. I haven't and won't "test" AEB deliberately of course 😆, but I will check again if enabling Track Mode changes AEB to off in the UI.

But I don't always go fast enough to bother with Track Mode regen on those roads. There can be too much traffic (generally predictable based on the road and time+day of week), or I have passengers, or lots of cargo, or I'm tired or just not in the mood. But even if I'm not going especially fast, when we're talking 20 to 50+ mile stretches of twisty two lane road there will still be someone I want to pass, and I don't want AEB to interfere.

Last edited:
I agree with @Mash, it works fine for me.

By definition it should only trigger in 2 conditions:
- When you would have crashed
- Erroneously

So pretty much everyone who has experienced it (and certainly anyone complaining about it) has only seen it trigger in the latter case.
I only have 8K miles so far but the only time it happened to me was actually quite impressive: I kicked the pedal to the floor as the light turned green, confident that the speeding cross traffic to my left was stopping, albeit late. My car wasn't so confident though and it accelerated like an air cooled Volkswagen, gradually ramping up power as I held the pedal to the floor all the way thru the intersection. I was impressed that it saw the car nearly 90 degrees to my left and also by how well it ramped up power in a reasonable manner.
Sure, I could imagine a scenario where a runaway truck is coming up behind me and OAA won't let me plow over a baby stroller to get out of the way but I certainly believe the benefits of this feature, imperfect as it is, outweigh the drawbacks.

The throttle limiting at the intersection was my experience too. Except it was merging into a lane (from a stop) at an intersection, it would cut power when it looks like oncoming traffic may be a risk. However I live in a dense area and sometimes the little room is all you'll get and having the accelerator be unpredictable is a risk as tm1v2 also mentioned.

Other times I've had it happen was when I was full accelerating off the line but the car in the next lane was a bit too close I would get reduced power as well. In the few thousand miles I had it on I think it only interrupted maybe 3-4 times but it was enough for me to turn it off. I will say, the last time I had it on was early 2019 so very possible it's improved or works differently now - maybe one day I'll give it another try.

Thanks @gearchruncher and @zhu-. This is my first car with these sort of driver aids and clearly I need to RTFM before jumping to conclusions about what each is doing.

I'll also take notes about beep vs no-beep. I'd like to think I could feel the difference between OAA (no acceleration but also no braking, right?) vs AEB (actual braking) but quite possible I have or will get it wrong in the moment just based on feel.

Last edited:
Reactions: SGOttawa