Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance hesitation off the line

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks @gearchruncher and @zhu-I'd like to think I could feel the difference between OAA (no acceleration but also no braking, right?) vs AEB (actual braking) but quite possible I have or will get it wrong in the moment just based on feel.

Yes with OAA, your acceleration is significantly limited briefly (to maybe ~25% power?) if you're trying to launch off the line but too close to a car, bush etc. or if it detects "risky" oncoming traffic with no audible alerts.

AEB will brake the car if it thinks you'll collide without immediate intervention and give a loud audible alert - similar to Lane Departure Warning.

I noticed today the OAA info pop-up mentions it can activate the brakes in addition to limiting acceleration. So the way to tell OAA from AEB is whether or not there's a loud beep, which would mean AEB?

I've turned OAA back on and of course AEB defaults to on every time. So I'll see if I start running into unnecessary/false slowdowns or braking from them again.

I don't think I've run into any issues lately with only AEB enabled, for what that's worth. I think it was when I had OAA enabled before that the car didn't want to do things like squeeze past cars stopped on the side but not parked 100% properly, which is unfortunately super duper common especially in front of restaurants.

I echo some of these experiences. I was waiting to exit a shopping plaza with traffic going by. I had a clear path with plenty of space so i accelerated out. At the same time, there was a car turning in to the plaza while I was leaving. As I accelerated out, there was an immediate lag where the obstacle awareness kicked in apparently. This became very dangerous as cars were flying towards me and I was just sitting there like a duck. I felt bad for the cars coming as they likely had to slow down to avoid hitting me.

I’m turning this feature off. It seems to be a widespread issue where it kicks in erroneously.

Update on how it's going with OAA back on (and also AEB still on by default):

No new incorrect OAA or AEB interventions yet, but I haven't been driving much since my last post, jury is still out.

However two days ago I made the mistake of increasing FCW to Medium and then using Autosteer (on a divided highway). I had been keeping FCW on Late because when I tried Medium and Early early on with the car (with older software) it beeped too early, was more annoying than useful, but I figured this was a good time to revisit it. NOPE.

Within 1 minute Autosteer was late following a turn, drifting towards a truck in the next lane. I noticed and intervened on my own but FCW still blared its warning, waking up the dog in the back seat who I'd spent 30 minutes getting to sleep after the previous stop, as he gets very carsick on these longer drives and it becomes miserable & borderline dangerous if he is awake. That incident had nothing to do with OAA or AEB, but it still left a bad taste in my mouth again for these active safety systems. :(

I will say in hindsight it was clearly stupid to increase FCW and use Autosteer in this situation where I wanted maximum quiet in the car. I did find it amusing though that the car was basically alerting itself to its own bad driving!

Complaining that safety systems don't work because they went off when it was supposed to after you let the car get to close to another car but woke up your "borderline dangerous" dog that you voluntarily put in your car is peak primadonna irony.
@gearchruncher This dog was left behind in the pandemic by his owners. Please don't make assumptions about my choice to have him or bring him along. I didn't want a dog but we have him now and I don't think anyone else will take care of him with his elderly dog needs, so he has to come along for the ride (metaphorically and literally). Also note the "dangerous" part is from his carsick howling/screaming causing stressed, distracted driving. He doesn't attack or bite anyone, zero danger from that.

If he's not asleep, what could be an under 3 hour drive turns into 5-6 hours with all the stops and going very slow to help him get through it. (I don't want to make him miserable!) No not the worst thing in life by any means, but much of what we all discuss here are thoroughly 1st world issues, this is no more "primadonna" than a large chunk of the discussions here.

"Getting too close" - I did not let Autosteer leave the lane. Thanks for assuming that I was too close, I guess? I already stated that using Autosteer was a mistake. I am going to try FCW on Medium again without Autosteer (and without a napping dog) and see how I like it on the latest software. I think FCW did its job correctly there! I reacted at basically the same exact time it started beeping. I didn't need the beeping, but it had no way to realize that ahead of time.

In case it's not clear, I'm not angry about Autosteer messing up, mostly I'm amused at FCW alerting for Autosteer's poor steering! Having the dog woken up in the moment was very frustrating though.