Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance improvements in Model S (and X) and price drops

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Strictly from a performance perspective, the 1+ second reduction 0-60 for the 75 is quite significant. Amazing what this technology platform can do.

I've always been averse to leasing cars... but this makes me more likely to consider that (or stick with my plan to buy CPO as it's easier to see what was available in the past and what became available moving forward)

The rear performance inverter from P100D now in 75 makes for simplification of the factory with one less component (the non performance rear inverter)

But what happened with 75D? did it get the high performance front inverter from P100D in the rear? or was it enough with a software update? If so, you bet they will sell that performance upgrade over the air to old 75D owners some time in the future

• Informative
Reactions: David29
The rear performance inverter from P100D now in 75 makes for simplification of the factory with one less component (the non performance rear inverter)

But what happened with 75D? did it get the high performance front inverter from P100D in the rear? or was it enough with a software update? If so, you bet they will sell that performance upgrade over the air to old 75D owners some time in the future

I was wondering how they achieved the performance improvement in the 75 kwh cars. Not doubting your info, but I am wondering where you learn details such as that, about the use of the larger inverter in the 75D. Did I miss it in the Electrek article?

Not sure where you're coming up with a price decrease. Prices look exactly the same as they did a week ago when you design the car.

When you say "design the car," do you mean, when you add in certain options?
I did not look at options so that would make a difference.
But by coincidence, I made up a chart a week ago when i showed my car at a car show last Sunday. The prices I took off the Tesla site last week (cash, including delivery but without any options) were higher than today's.
E.g., model 75 was $72,800 vs. $70,700 today. 75D was $77,800 vs. $75,700 today.
Is there some compensating factor I missed?
Thanks.

I was wondering how they achieved the performance improvement in the 75 kwh cars. Not doubting your info, but I am wondering where you learn details such as that, about the use of the larger inverter in the 75D. Did I miss it in the Electrek article?

I do wonder what changes they made. Same packs right? IIRC the new cells are taller, and am guessing will not fit the current pack size.
So, new inverter? PEMs?

Possibly an inverter upgrade like the new Model 3 ...:cool:
Tesla Model 3 exclusive leaked specs: 300kW+ inverter architecture putting its power capacity near Model S

At a power electronic convention when he was working on the Model S powertrain, Straubel said:

“We are increasing the current rating (of the inverter) that’s the most tangible thing you see from a performance point of view. Every time we can push up the current in the inverter a little bit, we are able to get a little bit higher motor torque and that translate into a little bit faster 0 to 60 time, more responsive acceleration and those sort of things.”

The engineer went on to describe how Tesla is using off-the-shelf power electronics for the system:

“The power rating increases are largely enabled by better and better power electronics – transistors or IGBTs which is what we are using. As those improve, we can continue pushing up the current rating and continue increasing performance. If we can make the inverter just half a percent more efficient, that’s half a percent less battery pack that we have to put in the car or half a percent more range that the customer gets to have so it a very strong and virtuous feedback cycle with high efficiency.”

• Informative
Reactions: David29 and e-FTW

I'm curious what hardware changes they've made.
Rumor I heard months ago is that all LDU's (Large Drive Units) have the P high current silicon, but were only tested to required power level (lower on the RWD 75.) That said, the 60-75 has always had inherent power limits since its 14 module pack is only 350V while the 16 module pack of the larger packs are 400V. The reduced voltage also reduces the maximum Supercharger power level. So I wonder, did they modify the 75 battery? Is it possible that they changed the configuration to raise the voltage? And if so, will Supercharging speed up for the small packs?

Or maybe, with all the incremental weight savings over the years, the 350V pack is now enough to pull off the reduced times with the single LDU setup as well as the small motor D pair.

I'm looking forward to seeing some 75kWh battery part numbers from the new cars.

If I was purchasing an older model year car with significant discount, not a problem. Elon is killing me. I am selling my Tesla.
Well, then you'll definitely lose money. Besides, there's still a question about whether or not the price had actually dropped. None of the news sites that mentioned the performance improvements said anything about price decreases.

Well, then you'll definitely lose money. Besides, there's still a question about whether or not the price had actually dropped. None of the news sites that mentioned the performance improvements said anything about price decreases.

I am not talking about the price drop. That can happen and that's a fair game. I thought I was getting a latest refreshed model S. No courtesy warnings from Tesla prior to my purchase??? I am happy for the new buyers but this really hurts!

• Love
Reactions: Karlton770
My MS60 is six and a half months old. This is the first upgrade to the Model S that's caused me any grief. I'm sure there will be more coming soon. A few possible consolations: maybe our slower cars will end up having lower insurance rates, our tires should last a little longer, less speeding tickets, and our phones won't fly out of the cubby hole as often in our now classic MSs. Honestly though I don't think I would even pay $500 to upgrade to the higher acceleration rate, if I could. My car is more than fast enough. Although I would love to know that I could upgrade, at a reasonable price, if I wanted to. And I wonder how much of a depreciation hit our cars just took. I wasn't planning on selling for at least ten years, but still wondering.

I don't see the price decrease.

I have been looking for a few months now at a basic S 75 with enhance autopilot. Same price.

Perhaps other options have decreased in price and that's what the OP is seeing in his configuration.

I don't see the price decrease.

I have been looking for a few months now at a basic S 75 with enhance autopilot. Same price.

Perhaps other options have decreased in price and that's what the OP is seeing in his configuration.

Maybe the glass roof that was $2000 and is now FREE. This was changed last quarter though.