Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance ++... In reverse

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not sure whether this has already been discussed, but out of curiosity, I tested acceleration from a standing start - in reverse. I was interested to find out what would happen to the unwitting boy-racer (not me of course) who accidentally slipped it into R at the traffic lights. The issue here is of course that there are no 'gears' to restrict you - as I discovered pretty quickly. So my suggestion to Tesla is to limit power or at least top speed in reverse. Someone somewhere sometime will surprise themselves (and the driver behind) with this trick!

It is limited (both acceleration and top speed). The speeding limit is 15 mph. The acceleration limit doesn't show up on the speedometer (like when it's cold outside or battery is low) but I suspect it's limited to either 160kW or even just 80kW.

Fun part of EVs :D soon after I got my Leaf, I decided to do that test in my work's parking lot. I nearly clipped a raised median because I wasn't expecting it to be (on that car) exactly as fast as going forward.