Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance increase for 100D. 0-100 in 3,3 sek

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
  • Informative
Reactions: gowthamn
MX should be only 0.6sec slower than MS, those are some weird numbers. If 100D would get 3.3 who would pay extra for P100D? The price difference between 75D and 100D is already mad, would not make sense to make P100D even madder. Human brain is all about differentially comparing values, if you give them a popcorn for $5 or maxi pop for $6 they'll take the maxi, but if standard pop is $3 they take that. The winning strategy is have a high base price and small increments for options (which will only help to convince you to buy the insane option).

MX should be only 0.6sec slower than MS, those are some weird numbers. If 100D would get 3.3 who would pay extra for P100D? The price difference between 75D and 100D is already mad, would not make sense to make P100D even madder. Human brain is all about differentially comparing values, if you give them a popcorn for $5 or maxi pop for $6 they'll take the maxi, but if standard pop is $3 they take that.
3.3->2.4 is an absolutely monstrous difference. It's an exponential function as you approach zero and that difference is far more than the simple 0.9 seconds it appears to be. I'd gladly pay the extra for that much more performance.

Could this be a typo? 4.3 to 3.3? Seems odd that Tesla would quietly just release some new performance version of a 100D without the usual fanfare and Elon's penchant for media exposure.

I hope it's true lol. Seems like a logical action to differentiate the 75D and 100D price differential and I'd salivate at the opportunity for a sub mid-3sec speed with over 330miles/550km range.

Could this be a typo? 4.3 to 3.3?

It's unlikely to be a typo, as all 100D models are listed with a 0-100 km/hr time of 3.3 sec on the inventory pages for the Netherlands and Finland. Unfortunately, this can't be compared to U.S. inventory, as all 100D models have been removed from the inventory available from the Tesla site. U.S. inventory vehicle pages accessed through http://ev-cpo.com or Tesla Inventory Search don't show 0-60 mi/hr times.

It's unlikely to be a typo, as all 100D models are listed with a 0-100 km/hr time of 3.3 sec on the inventory pages for the Netherlands and Finland. Unfortunately, this can't be compared to U.S. inventory, as all 100D models have been removed from the inventory available from the Tesla site. U.S. inventory vehicle pages accessed through http://ev-cpo.com or Tesla Inventory Search don't show 0-60 mi/hr times.

Hmm...correct even on the Canadian site. Used to show 0-100 4.4 sec but now all references to acceleretion have been removed. One of the sales guys I know is contacting the country director's to verify what's going on...

Wonder if range will be sacrificed for some additional power. All hypothetical of course as nothing verified yet on this except for possible typo's..

I have noticed this as well on the UK website, all 100D's in stock showing 3.3s - 60 but on the car designer page it still shows as 4.1. Swaying between a 100D and a P100D and this would make it an easier decision. It does seem unusual to have such a large increase in acceleration with no official announcement so maybe a website mistake, hopefully not though.

This is interesting. Put in for a loaded P85D 3 weeks ago at a great price compared to p100d roughly 50-55% off. If this is true, makes me want to re-evaluate keeping my p85d order versus going 100d as they will be very close minus the 30-40k savings for 29 month old p85d without the federal $7,500 tax credit.

If this becomes true, I'm trading in my pre facelift 90D for a new 100D. Kind of used to the 4.3sec now and looking for the low 3's :) test drove a P100D ludicrous+ for the 2.4. sec feeling and I actually started to get lightheaded and almost pass out at around 70-80km/h during hard acceleration. The sales person asked me to switch for the ride back to the showroom. I know my roller coaster limit now!

Sweet spot car - 550km range, 3.3sec...perfect

It doesn't make sense they don't do it to the new spec 75D as well. Only difference is Range between 75D and 100D. There was a P85D, P90D and now P100DL.

These new spec cars are essentially P models without the P insignia.

It seems like a software update. Perhaps pay extra to get "Insane" mode.

75 RWD - 4.2
D models - 3.3
PDL+ - 2.3/2.2

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: croman and R.S
It doesn't make sense they don't do it to the new spec 75D as well. Only difference is Range between 75D and 100D.

75 RWD - 4.2
"D" Models - 3.3
PDL+ - 2.3/2.2

I think that's like saying I wish a BMW 328i had the same power as a 340i as they both have a V6 turbo lol. Completely different budget range.

The 75D just had its increase from 5.2sec down to 4.4. Why would they market the same power for 20k + less in price than a 100D?

In my opinion, it now makes perfect sense to market 4.4, 3.3 and 2.3 acceleration versions and 415/550/515km ranges according to each consumers budget and taste. It's about time the 100D received something more than just range to justify its price differential!

I think that's like saying I wish a BMW 328i had the same power as a 340i as they both have a V6 turbo lol. Completely different budget range.

The 75D just had its increase from 5.2sec down to 4.4. Why would they market the same power for 20k + less in price than a 100D?

In my opinion, it now makes perfect sense to market 4.4, 3.3 and 2.3 acceleration versions and 415/550/515km ranges according to each consumers budget and taste. It's about time the 100D received something more than just range to justify its price differential!

Those are gasoline cars which actually make a difference.

The increase was because of new hardware which was automatic to begin with. And essentially for 20K less you get less range. Remember that ludicrous mode was a 10k option for like .5 second increase in acceleration. So it's not that crazy to think.

Want more range? Get the 100D, don't need that extra range? Save some money and get the 75D.

Remember that these cars, even the base 75 RWD are essentially P models. The base 75 has about the same HP and 0-60 as a P85.

As a relatively new 100d owner (March), this pisses me off. I was forced to take 4.2s as I didn't want to spend another 45k for the 'P' model, but man... if now the newer 100d's give the speed I wanted, that sucks. Well, good for new owners, but bad for me.
The 75D that I purchased last year is vastly different from the 75D that could can get now. That's just the name of the game with Tesla.

Those are gasoline cars which actually make a difference.

The increase was because of new hardware which was automatic to begin with. And essentially for 20K less you get less range. Remember that ludicrous mode was a 10k option for like .5 second increase in acceleration. So it's not that crazy to think.

Want more range? Get the 100D, don't need that extra range? Save some money and get the 75D.

Remember that these cars, even the base 75 RWD are essentially P models. The base 75 has about the same HP and 0-60 as a P85.

I think it's essentially a 'pay for more power and thrill' which is not a new concept with most industry products and how they are marketed.

Your example is a great one! 10k for .5 sec ludicrous.
So why not 20k for a full second 4.3 to 3.3?
Seems right in line with what consumers would be willing to pay for the added performance.

They can probably make the 75D faster but they will not cannibalize the 100D sales for it as the latter has a higher profit margin. One cannot expect the only difference for 20k to be range.

I think it's perfectly sound to maintain 3 lines of power and range according to consumer budget.
This is all hypothetical of course and based on the notion that this isn't all some error on the 100D listings lol.

Last edited:

Not that it matters but the 328 is a 2.0L turbo inline 4 cyl. and the 340 is a 3.0L turbo inline 6 cyl. Different engines for different price points.

Reactions: Bebop