Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance increase for 100D. 0-100 in 3,3 sek

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not that it matters but the 328 is a 2.0L turbo inline 4 cyl. and the 340 is a 3.0L turbo inline 6 cyl.

Yep you're correct lol. And I'm sure a 75D rear motor is slightly different to a 100D. If they were identical then Tesla would be purposefully holding back on power output for the 75.

I think the point was far more consumers would be willing to pay for added performance and range for 20k as opposed to just range. And it allows more sales of their higher margin 100D. Makes sense.

Fingers crossed this unconfirmed update for the 100D comes to fruition!

Last edited:
Yep. And I'm sure a 75D rear motor is slightly different to a 100D. If they were identical then Tesla would be purposefully holding back on power output for the 75.
I believe the non "P" duel motor cars do use the same motors. Power was limited on the smaller battery cars and that is why the 75 cars were able to get the large speed increase after the July 1st. build date.

I believe the non "P" duel motor cars do use the same motors. Power was limited on the smaller battery cars and that is why the 75 cars were able to get the large speed increase after the July 1st. build date.

Then it stands to reason if the 100d is infact moving to the low 3's, it may be more than a software update. Perhaps a larger rear motor? As it stands the .1 sec difference between 75D and 100D was likely pure marketing but I wonder if they've reached the limit at 4.1 0-60 with the current motors in use.

Now a more important question...Connor or Mayweather. Lol. Have a good eve folks.

Last edited:
My money would actually be on it being a mistake (as much I want it to be true and believe it would make a lot of sense to be true) ... because if it were in fact true why would only the 'current inventory' cars be beneficiaries of the speed upgrade, you'd think they'd roll it out at the same time across the board. Also, to the guy that took delivery in March, I wouldn't be surprised if it were in fact just software because I don't see why they'd be rolling out something different (larger motor or something like that) in all of these recent cars (for example, one that I saw still had the silver turbines so that was a little while back too) and not actually making anyone aware of it.

My money would actually be on it being a mistake (as much I want it to be true and believe it would make a lot of sense to be true) ... because if it were in fact true why would only the 'current inventory' cars be beneficiaries of the speed upgrade, you'd think they'd roll it out at the same time across the board. Also, to the guy that took delivery in March, I wouldn't be surprised if it were in fact just software because I don't see why they'd be rolling out something different (larger motor or something like that) in all of these recent cars (for example, one that I saw still had the silver turbines so that was a little while back too) and not actually making anyone aware of it.

My money would be in the opposite direction :)

I don't think there is a chance that Tesla made a "typo" for both Model S 100D from 4,3 -> 3,3 sek and Model X 100D from 4,9 to 4,5 sek. On top of this all older 75D-cars (even 2016 cars) do have increased performance if buying it CPO. Figures changed yesterday. This is in summary for three different type of cars/models. Def not a typo.

My prediction is that we early next week will get announcement from Tesla that all cars are uncorked with new performance. So the ppl with 100D on the road will get OTA updates with the new performance in the same way that 75D 2016 owners also will get the update. Everyone will be happy!

• Helpful
Reactions: EinSV

I don't think there is a chance that Tesla made a "typo" for both Model S 100D from 4,3 -> 3,3 sek and Model X 100D from 4,9 to 4,5 sek. On top of this all older 75D-cars (even 2016 cars) do have increased performance if buying it CPO. Figures changed yesterday. This is in summary for three different type of cars/models. Def not a typo.

My prediction is that we early next week will get announcement from Tesla that all cars are uncorked with new performance. So the ppl with 100D on the road will get OTA updates with the new performance in the same way that 75D 2016 owners also will get the update. Everyone will be happy!

I hope this includes the 90D as the motors were indentical. Only diff was the battery cells. Seems like the 90D was a forgotten member of the family since the 100 took its place.

This is what leads me to believe with the new drivetrain 75D that it will be possible to get down to 3.3 as well as the 100D. Both are pretty much the same except for range.

My guess either Tesla does it for free or most likely a paid OTA update will be made available.!

• Disagree
Reactions: croman
Won't happen. Taking performance from performance car, and give more to the regular? No chance in hell. That would piss of a lot of people

Of course they would! My 90D had a 4.2sec advantage over the 75D 5.2. That was abolished last month and proves that Tesla doesn't truly care how it affects previous owners. We paid about 15k more than a 75D today and while we have a slight range advantage, the power is now equal. We have AP1.0 and Pre facelift as we missed the facelift by 2 weeks (talk about upset!) Overall the 75D is a solid deal compared to what we paid in 2016. Still very happy but if the 100D goes to 3.3, will strongly consider an upgrade.

Tesla is all about ensuring their sales goals are realized quarter to quarter. If that means they would offer more OTA features (which are free) and the consumer derives more value to drive sales... they will.

Tesla is all about ensuring their sales goals are realized quarter to quarter. If that means they would offer more OTA features (which are free) and the consumer derives more value to drive sales... they will.

110% agree, every public company lives by this, and will always work to that goal. Previous customers you can deal with by concessions like next car you purchase gets X discount or trade in, or free updates to existing customers. To that end I agree with theory of 3 new D models simplied S/M/L for 75d, 100d, and p100d of 4.2/3.2/2.2 times.

110% agree, every public company lives by this, and will always work to that goal. Previous customers you can deal with by concessions like next car you purchase gets X discount or trade in, or free updates to existing customers. To that end I agree with theory of 3 new D models simplied S/M/L for 75d, 100d, and p100d of 4.2/3.2/2.2 times.

Agreed. Sales targets/profit numbers/shareholder value is what drive public companies. It makes logical sense from a value perspective. You pay more, you get more. (I think it would be 4.3/3.3/2.3 but whose checking! )

I would be quite surprised if they offered an ota update to all existing 100D's. However it would satisfy a lot of existing owners.

Last edited:
Just did the build a new tesla, 100d still shows 4.1 seconds here in US.

If true for same ~3 second 0-60 (Not to derail) but for me in queue for a CPO fully load P85d with AP1 - I'm looking at $73k versus fully loaded 100d ~$118k before 7,500 credit, call it $110k. Total savings of ~$37k for 29 month old car with old facelift and AP1. What seemed to be a 45% discount off sticker of $135k P85d window sticker and over 50% discount from P100d doesn't seem to be quite the savings now for the performance. This'll hurt CPO sales across the board on higher optioned cars.

Won't happen. Taking performance from performance car, and give more to the regular? No chance in hell. That would piss of a lot of people

That is what happens when technology gets better. It's like the iPhone. There will always be a group of pissed off people because something better came out a month later. That is the nature of the game.

That is what happens when technology gets better. It's like the iPhone. There will always be a group of pissed off people because something better came out a month later. That is the nature of the game.
That's actually a terrible comparison. The iPhone gets refreshed 1 time per year, at an expected month, and the upgrades are annouced a week before you can buy it. Nothing like what Tesla does.

Just did the build a new tesla, 100d still shows 4.1 seconds here in US.

If true for same ~3 second 0-60 (Not to derail) but for me in queue for a CPO fully load P85d with AP1 - I'm looking at $73k versus fully loaded 100d ~$118k before 7,500 credit, call it $110k. Total savings of ~$37k for 29 month old car with old facelift and AP1. What seemed to be a 45% discount off sticker of $135k P85d window sticker and over 50% discount from P100d doesn't seem to be quite the savings now for the performance. This'll hurt CPO sales across the board on higher optioned cars.

That's quite a savings.

I received a p85d loaner for a week during a service a few months back and whenever insane mode was on and the battery was warming up, the cooling fan would be on ...constantly emitting a loud noise which was somewhat annoying. Is that normal for the max battery setting?

If the 100D can achieve the same performance numbers without any 'insane' mode or loud fan,(think normally aspirated no turbo) ... it would be a much better drive. AP1 I agree is somewhat still the advantage in function but not forever. The 335 mile range would be the larger advantage to the 100D.

Having said that some of the early P85D's had fantastic performance suspension/steering settings similar to the P85+ which no longer exists. Ie. dual rear brakes, stronger suspension linkages, better shocks.