TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Performance: Launch Mode vs. Stomping the Accelerator

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by Soundchasr, Apr 18, 2017.

1. Soundchasr

Soundchasr Member

Now that Tesla has limited maximum performance to only being available in "launch mode", does anyone know what the performance specs are for the car if I just hit the accelerator? When I bought the car it was advertised to go 0-60 in 3.1 seconds. I have no idea what the performance is now with the update and without using launch mode. I have a P90D.

Thanks.

2. NSX1992

NSX1992 Member

My P85DL has the same performance with or without launch mode. Since you don't have Ludicrous I think you may not notice any difference either. Try it yourself.

• Informative x 1
  3. Carspotter Daily

In theory, launch mode would be faster, because it combines the right amount of wheel spin and power to achieve close to a perfect launch. But you never really know as there are a lot of factors like precipitation and wind resistance which effect the car's overall stability and acceleration. I'm no physicist, but those are my thoughts.

4. Soundchasr

Soundchasr Member

5. William3

William3 Member

Anyone have any idea what the quarter mile time is for the following:

Model S P90DL
    SOC = 90%
    Max Battery = off
    Launch Mode = off
    latest firmware

With latest firmware, is there any difference between V1, V2, and V3 anymore?
    I'm thinking of buying a used one and would really like to know what I'd be getting.
    Don't care about 0-60 time, just quarter mile.

6. S4WRXTTCS

S4WRXTTCS Active Member

Launch mode - For when a Tesla pulls up next to you.

Stomping on the accelerator - When any other car pulls up next to you.

• Like x 2
  7. sorka

sorka Active Member

The article is wrong. It doesn't apply to the P85DL or the P90DL V1. I still hit 456KW, the maximum power available to a Ludicrous upgraded P85D, without launch mode.

It certainly applies to the P100D and it most likely applies to the P90DL V2's 1600 amp battery. Both the P85DL and P90DL V1 are already limited to 1500 amps with or without launch mode.

I also seriously doubt that the maximum power available while already cruising hasn't changed for anyone. i.e. passing from 70-90 should be the same before and after this update.

• Like x 1
  8. n2mb_racing

n2mb_racing Member

Definitely applies to P90D v2 battery. I only get 465 kW now with MBR at high SOC. Very similar to P85DL. I can get 483 kW with launch mode.

9. sorka

sorka Active Member

I'd be hopping mad if they pulled my passing power away from me. So let me get this straight. First they have the bogus counters that remove performance from the P90DL V2 (but not the P100D). There's an uproar over this and Tesla comes out with a software update to remove the counters and everyone is happy again as folks confirm their power has returned on their P90DL V2s. The counter thing didn't apply to 1500 amp cars or 1762 amp(P100D) cars.

Now a new update comes along shortly after that limiting maximum performance on both V2 P90DLs and P100Ds at all times unless you come to a complete stop and use launch mode?

Incredible. Is there a thread discussing the outrage over this change?

Since the counter change didn't apply to P100Ds, what are P100Ds limited to now? They started out as 1762 amp cars according to their xml config file. Are they limited 1600 amps now unless you use launch mode? P90DL V2s are now limited to 1500 amps from 1600 amps unless you use launch mode? i.e P90DL V2 are now the same as P90DL V1s and P85DLs.

Nice!!!:eek:

• Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  10. sorka

sorka Active Member

It seems to only apply to the P90DL V2/V3 if I'm not mistaken.

P100DL not effected, right? Easter egg mode, according to tippy is 1850 amps and that still works(575kw). Non easter egg mode was always 550KW with or without launch mode as it is still.

P90DLV1 still pulling 455 to 465 KW without launch mode as it always has.

P85DL still pulling 455+ KW without launch mode as it always has.

Only folks that got screwed were the P90DL 1600 amp batteries.

11. TIppy

TIppy Member

They've limited max horsepower to the 1500 amp level, and horsepower doesn't start dropping off until after 95 mph. So I think passing performance from 70 to 90 mph will be affected since you now have about 35 less hp.

12. sorka

sorka Active Member

Incredible. I assume you mean just the V2/V3 P90DLs and not the P100D? So the V2/V3 P90DLs are now only as fast as a P85DL when passing on the highway? I'd be pissed.

One way to look at this is that Tesla simply neutered the later P90DLs to be only as fast as the earlier V1 and P85DLs, but the problem with this is that V1 never had enough power to hit the 1/4 mile in 10.9 seconds as promised. But on the other hand, it does if you use launch mode. OK fine.

Now riddle me this. The P90DL X shipped with the 500KW battery from the very first day. Did Tesla also reduce them from 1600 to 1500 amps? Did the Xs suddenly lose passing power that they had from day one??????

13. TIppy

TIppy Member

#13 TIppy, May 13, 2017
    Last edited: May 13, 2017
    I think the v3 has less voltage sag at 1500 amps so it is a little better than v1/v2 or p85d. Don't know about the p100d.

As for the X, you have a good point. It was the X that was discovered to have extra power first. Then it showed up in the S. I haven't seen any mention of the X's power being reduced outside of launch mode. Hmm. Yet jerjozwik's temporary replacement battery is labeled as a Model X battery, but it is limited outside of launch mode and seems to have less power than the 1088xxx batteries.

14. TIppy

TIppy Member

upload_2017-5-14_11-49-36.png

They do seem to bring the power in more gradually on the X.