Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance: Launch Mode vs. Stomping the Accelerator

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now that Tesla has limited maximum performance to only being available in "launch mode", does anyone know what the performance specs are for the car if I just hit the accelerator? When I bought the car it was advertised to go 0-60 in 3.1 seconds. I have no idea what the performance is now with the update and without using launch mode. I have a P90D.

Thanks.

In theory, launch mode would be faster, because it combines the right amount of wheel spin and power to achieve close to a perfect launch. But you never really know as there are a lot of factors like precipitation and wind resistance which effect the car's overall stability and acceleration. I'm no physicist, but those are my thoughts.

Anyone have any idea what the quarter mile time is for the following:

Model S P90DL
SOC = 90%
Max Battery = off
Launch Mode = off
latest firmware

With latest firmware, is there any difference between V1, V2, and V3 anymore?
I'm thinking of buying a used one and would really like to know what I'd be getting.
Don't care about 0-60 time, just quarter mile.

It's more than just that - Tesla limits the cars maximum power when not in launch mode:
Tesla’s latest update only allows performance vehicles to reach max power on ‘Launch Mode’

The article is wrong. It doesn't apply to the P85DL or the P90DL V1. I still hit 456KW, the maximum power available to a Ludicrous upgraded P85D, without launch mode.

It certainly applies to the P100D and it most likely applies to the P90DL V2's 1600 amp battery. Both the P85DL and P90DL V1 are already limited to 1500 amps with or without launch mode.

I also seriously doubt that the maximum power available while already cruising hasn't changed for anyone. i.e. passing from 70-90 should be the same before and after this update.

Reactions: bhzmark
The article is wrong. It doesn't apply to the P85DL or the P90DL V1. I still hit 456KW, the maximum power available to a Ludicrous upgraded P85D, without launch mode.

It certainly applies to the P100D and it most likely applies to the P90DL V2's 1600 amp battery. Both the P85DL and P90DL V1 are already limited to 1500 amps with or without launch mode.

I also seriously doubt that the maximum power available while already cruising hasn't changed for anyone. i.e. passing from 70-90 should be the same before and after this update.

Definitely applies to P90D v2 battery. I only get 465 kW now with MBR at high SOC. Very similar to P85DL. I can get 483 kW with launch mode.

• Informative
Reactions: PatrickCarter
Definitely applies to P90D v2 battery. I only get 465 kW now with MBR at high SOC. Very similar to P85DL. I can get 483 kW with launch mode.

I'd be hopping mad if they pulled my passing power away from me. So let me get this straight. First they have the bogus counters that remove performance from the P90DL V2 (but not the P100D). There's an uproar over this and Tesla comes out with a software update to remove the counters and everyone is happy again as folks confirm their power has returned on their P90DL V2s. The counter thing didn't apply to 1500 amp cars or 1762 amp(P100D) cars.

Now a new update comes along shortly after that limiting maximum performance on both V2 P90DLs and P100Ds at all times unless you come to a complete stop and use launch mode?

Incredible. Is there a thread discussing the outrage over this change?

Since the counter change didn't apply to P100Ds, what are P100Ds limited to now? They started out as 1762 amp cars according to their xml config file. Are they limited 1600 amps now unless you use launch mode? P90DL V2s are now limited to 1500 amps from 1600 amps unless you use launch mode? i.e P90DL V2 are now the same as P90DL V1s and P85DLs.

Nice!!!:eek:

It seems to only apply to the P90DL V2/V3 if I'm not mistaken.

P100DL not effected, right? Easter egg mode, according to tippy is 1850 amps and that still works(575kw). Non easter egg mode was always 550KW with or without launch mode as it is still.

P90DLV1 still pulling 455 to 465 KW without launch mode as it always has.

P85DL still pulling 455+ KW without launch mode as it always has.

Only folks that got screwed were the P90DL 1600 amp batteries.

They've limited max horsepower to the 1500 amp level, and horsepower doesn't start dropping off until after 95 mph. So I think passing performance from 70 to 90 mph will be affected since you now have about 35 less hp.

They've limited max horsepower to the 1500 amp level, and horsepower doesn't start dropping off until after 95 mph. So I think passing performance from 70 to 90 mph will be affected since you now have about 35 less hp.

Incredible. I assume you mean just the V2/V3 P90DLs and not the P100D? So the V2/V3 P90DLs are now only as fast as a P85DL when passing on the highway? I'd be pissed.

One way to look at this is that Tesla simply neutered the later P90DLs to be only as fast as the earlier V1 and P85DLs, but the problem with this is that V1 never had enough power to hit the 1/4 mile in 10.9 seconds as promised. But on the other hand, it does if you use launch mode. OK fine.

Now riddle me this. The P90DL X shipped with the 500KW battery from the very first day. Did Tesla also reduce them from 1600 to 1500 amps? Did the Xs suddenly lose passing power that they had from day one??????

Incredible. I assume you mean just the V2/V3 P90DLs and not the P100D? So the V2/V3 P90DLs are now only as fast as a P85DL when passing on the highway? I'd be pissed.

One way to look at this is that Tesla simply neutered the later P90DLs to be only as fast as the earlier V1 and P85DLs, but the problem with this is that V1 never had enough power to hit the 1/4 mile in 10.9 seconds as promised. But on the other hand, it does if you use launch mode. OK fine.

Now riddle me this. The P90DL X shipped with the 500KW battery from the very first day. Did Tesla also reduce them from 1600 to 1500 amps? Did the Xs suddenly lose passing power that they had from day one??????

I think the v3 has less voltage sag at 1500 amps so it is a little better than v1/v2 or p85d. Don't know about the p100d.

As for the X, you have a good point. It was the X that was discovered to have extra power first. Then it showed up in the S. I haven't seen any mention of the X's power being reduced outside of launch mode. Hmm. Yet jerjozwik's temporary replacement battery is labeled as a Model X battery, but it is limited outside of launch mode and seems to have less power than the 1088xxx batteries.

Last edited:
upload_2017-5-14_11-49-36.png

They do seem to bring the power in more gradually on the X.

If you want to get the numbers for speed in the 1/4 mile, you NEED to do the following.

Ludicrous mode, allow for the battery warmup, this can have a wait time of 1+ hour depending on weather.

After battery is warmed, you need to charge the car to 100%. The more full the battery the more power.

After your ludicrous, prewarmed, and at 100%
Engage Launch mode.

This will unleash the true potential of your performance Tesla.

If this your first "Launch" with full power. You might be surprised.

I have noticed a significant difference in launching based on battery charge level.

A launch at 60% battery wont be as impressive as one at 80%+.

That being said, ANY launch in a tesla is impressive.

1/8th mile drags I hit 7.07 seconds pretty consistently in five "launches." Hard brake to lock it in the staging area, then foot to the floor. Seemed pretty freakin' fast to me! 2015 P85D.
Ok then, strike that one off the bucket list! :)

Really? 7.07 runs out to be a high 10 second 1/4 mile. I don't think my P85D has ever surpassed 7.4 1/8th mile. My P100DL certainly has.

Did you time any runs without launch mode by just stabbing the accelerator pedal?

Launch mode is not faster. The fastest P85DL time slip on drag times, 7.1 and 11.3 1/8 and 1/4 respectively, was a slip start no launch mode. But slip start doesn't make a difference either.