Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Mode?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had my 1.5 for a few months now, and just today accidentally discovered "Performance" when tapping the battery on the VDS. I was almost home and only had 35 miles of range left so didn't want to push it. Before I allow myself to get all excited, does this actually do anything noteworthy?? The skeptic in me says it tweaks a few parameters but doesn't increase power to the motor noticeably. The optimist wants to say zomg moar power!

Performance mode really doesn't do anything in terms of performance wise on the 1.5 so to speak, its is equivalent to normal mode (really normal mode is equiv to performance mode for better wording) which I'm quite happy about. I'd hate to keep putting the car into a mode just to get full performance of it everyday while driving. I want that performance for that it can get me out of a pinch when I need it! Normal mode on the 1.5 is equivalent to the performance of the 2.x non-sports when they're put into performance mode. It does allow the battery temps to rise higher to pull more amps from the ESS if you want to get technical.

• Informative
Reactions: Tex EV
Performance mode really doesn't do anything in terms of performance wise on the 1.5 so to speak, its is equivalent to normal mode (really normal mode is equiv to performance mode for better wording) which I'm quite happy about. I'd hate to keep putting the car into a mode just to get full performance of it everyday while driving. I want that performance for that it can get me out of a pinch when I need it! Normal mode on the 1.5 is equivalent to the performance of the 2.x non-sports when they're put into performance mode. It does allow the battery temps to rise higher to pull more amps from the ESS if you want to get technical.

Wiztecy- if you're versed on the subject I'd love to hear more. My understanding is that it does raise the thermal limits on the battery, motor and PEM. Does this mean you can push the car for a longer period of time? Or is performance mode the ONLY way to hit the 3.9s 0-60? Do I not have full power/torque available unless I charge in performance mode? Would love to hear more (I think I've "Range" charged my Roadster all of about 4 times. She's a garage queen, so mostly storage or normal charging for me)

Tesla's 0-60mph @ 3.7 second for the sport / 3.9 second for non-sport was taken when the ESS / battery was hot. This was done from a full performance charge and also while driving in performance mode with the 2.x's. They may have done the same with the 1.5's as well but really doesn't buy them much.

My understanding is that they 1) while charging in performance mode to allow the ESS to build up some heat (From my last tech talk with an engineer, Tesla documentation indicated that when charging in performance mode that HVAC kicks in when ESS temps are greater or equal to 40C and when temps reach less than 35C it shuts down; Standard mode charging kicks in HVAC when temps are greater or equal to 25C and shuts down when below 20C) and 2) while the car is driven in performance mode, the car pushes out the 'normal' ceiling where the HVAC kicks in to start cooling down the ESS but I don't know that lower and upper value is (most likely same values as performance charging).

I don't think there's any change with the motor and PEM cooling limits, unless someone can verify otherwise. The main reason why they do allow the battery to charge and run hot is for that when batteries build up heat they have less resistance which then can push more amps/current which in turn spins the motor faster. Pushing out the cooling limits for the PEM / Motor doesn't buy you anything, its going to get hot really fast and its the opposite where heat improves performance of a battery, heat for AC motors and electronic components decrease their performance which eventually lead to failure if persistent.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Mark77a and Rolf68