Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Model 3: Excited or Disappointed?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is no way that this is the performance car- remember the photos of the "huge brakes" on the car with air suspension? There was no word of that. This just sounds like a way to make more money selling performance options on a base car.
I hope you're right, but then again it means I have to delay for an indeterminate time period to get the car I've really been waiting for.

I'm expecting some sort of innovative suspension setup (e.g. air/magnetic hybrid), performance software settings, upgraded brakes, and some trick aero components. If not, then I won't be impressed. Until anything official comes out we are all armchair racing anyway ;)

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
I'm expecting some sort of innovative suspension setup (e.g. air/magnetic hybrid), performance software settings, upgraded brakes, and some trick aero components. If not, then I won't be impressed. Until anything official comes out we are all armchair racing anyway ;)
Elon already confirmed on Twitter that the performance 3 comes with "sport level brakes." So, now we just wait for confirmation on the suspension. Also, it doesn't have to be anything fancy to achieve high levels of performance.

Elon Musk on Twitter

I'm guessing the suspension won't be that crazy. This is just something to be a placeholder until the air suspension comes out later.

I'm guessing the suspension won't be that crazy. This is just something to be a placeholder until the air suspension comes out later.

I don’t think the air suspension is really a ‘performance’ upgrade per se... it’s more of a comfort (high setting) / efficiency (low setting) toggle... perfect for touring and duty on the S/X.
A fully adjustable magnetic suspension setup would be ideal... but I doubt that’s in the cards at least for a few years.

How many drag or track race their daily driver? big market segment </sarcasm>

After reading this thread, I'd go get a used Miata and spend extra money to get what I wanted/could afford and go racing.
Trying to buy a "new track car" seems silly to me.

^ THIS +100

Which is the larger group of blowhard liars?

A) I race my car at the track every weekend!

-- or --

B) I take my JEEP offroad every weekend!

Blow ... Hards

• Funny
  • Love
Reactions: EinSV and Brando
How many drag or track race their daily driver? big market segment </sarcasm>

After reading this thread, I'd go get a used Miata and spend extra money to get what I wanted/could afford and go racing.

It doesn't really matter. The benchmark for a sports sedan has been the M3 for decades. I'd say 95% of M3's never see the track either, doesn't really keep BMW from making a great car that can drive on the street or the track.

Based on Elon's claim, the Model 3 should outperform the M3. If people are dropping that much cash on the Performance model, they want it to be able to hang with the big boys on the track. They might not be taking it to the track every weekend but it's nice to have that option.

Reactions: FlyNavy01
A fully adjustable magnetic suspension setup would be ideal...
That, like air suspension, is more of a comfort option.

Old NA & NB Miatas are fantastic track toys and so cheap they're practically disposable... probably one of the most enjoyable road cars short of an Elise.

Reactions: FlatSix911
It's not that lots track their daily driver (even though many "track people" do). It's Elon's "track" comment that opened up discussion.

The Performance version is the first, for the Model 3. For the Model S, after "P" came:
P85+, P85D, P85DL, P90D/L, P100D/L
...odds we'll see the Model 3 body get more tuning??

• Informative
Reactions: Brando
It doesn't really matter. The benchmark for a sports sedan has been the M3 for decades. I'd say 95% of M3's never see the track either, doesn't really keep BMW from making a great car that can drive on the street or the track.

Based on Elon's claim, the Model 3 should outperform the M3. If people are dropping that much cash on the Performance model, they want it to be able to hang with the big boys on the track. They might not be taking it to the track every weekend but it's nice to have that option.
stopping and handling - avoiding collisions - are certainly key safety features of any car

Model 3 will have the same continuous improvements as Model S/X - it is the Tesla way.

I'll point to Elon's tweets about the brakes - and since it is safety related he promised to do hardware upgrades for any Model 3 that might need hardware upgrades - we shall see.

Last edited:
[

If there are no brake and suspension upgrades, consider me very disappointed. While 3.5 seconds is very fast, if you don’t have any of the supporting mods to go with it, it’s just meaningless to me.

My current car, a 2010 Infiniti G37xS sedan with tons of aftermarket parts is faster than most anything I come across on the street. And that’s a 5 second 0-60 car.

I hope we get further word of upgraded brakes and suspension. It would make the price easier to swallow.

Why worry about the suspension and brakes? If it beats everything in its class on the track, isn’t that what matters? The rest is just a means to an end.

Original Question of this thread.

Performance - Excited or Disappointed?

Excited about Specs.
Disappointed about price vs AWD.

Someone help me justify the price.

The price is justified if Elon is correct about its performance relative to its peers and this is an important factor to you. A loaded BMW M3 is even more expensive.

Also, if it helps, your resale value will be higher.

[

Why worry about the suspension and brakes? If it beats everything in its class on the track, isn’t that what matters? The rest is just a means to an end.

The price is justified if Elon is correct about its performance relative to its peers and this is an important factor to you. A loaded BMW M3 is even more expensive.

Also, if it helps, your resale value will be higher.

Lets hope that Performance is worth the money. I appreciate you comparing the Model 3 to its competition and not to cars outside of its class.

Just adding power and stickier tires to the Model 3 will not make it beat a BMW M3 on the track unless it's a drag strip :p
The Performance Model 3 will definitely be "worth it" if it actually is competitive with cars in its class. I would wait until actual testing occurs if that's what you're counting on. Maybe Elon should post a Nurburgring video to put all this discussion to rest :D

I think the key omission is ludicrous - it seems like this will be added with the air suspension next year but no one seems to be mentioning this.

Ludicrous should be sub 3 seconds 0-60 (as defined by a speculating Ryan MCCaffrey), it seems odd to me that no one is concerned with the next gen model 3 doing to the P85 what the P90DL and subsequent model did thereafter.

stopping and handling - avoiding collisions - are certainly key safety features of any car

Model 3 will have the same continuous improvements as Model S/X - it is the Tesla way.

I'll point to Elon's tweets about the brakes - and since it is safety related he promised to do hardware upgrades for any Model 3 that might need hardware upgrades - we shall see.

Bigger brakes don't make the car any "safer" in normal use... they don't do anything useful at all (besides make brake repairs more expensive) outside of a race track or the chase scene from a Jason Bourne film.