Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Model 3: Excited or Disappointed?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It would perfectly allow EVs to recharge their batteries between stints and alow their batteries to cool down. If there is a Supercharger near the track (like Buttonwillow), it would work out perfectly.

A performance Model 3 could put many ICE drivers to shame.

at my last visit to auto club speedway i noticed they had an array of trailer based, solar powered DC chargers in a parking lot. my guess was at least 10, maybe 15 of them.

I believe that the performance version will exhibit a tremendous advantage from it's computer controlled AWD. Coming off a corner it can measure wheel spin and provide torque to the tire with the most traction. Should provide tremendous grip and control, allowing drivers to come out of corners much faster than competitors.
We don't know how the car will transfer torque from side to side yet. If they don't use an upgraded differential in the rear it's hard to see how the P is going to compete with other cars in its class. Brake based approaches like the standard 3 has have proven to be pretty poor at the track. They throw away power to heat the brakes, not optimal for performance.

If there are no brake and suspension upgrades, consider me very disappointed. While 3.5 seconds is very fast, if you don’t have any of the supporting mods to go with it, it’s just meaningless to me.

My current car, a 2010 Infiniti G37xS sedan with tons of aftermarket parts is faster than most anything I come across on the street. And that’s a 5 second 0-60 car.

I hope we get further word of upgraded brakes and suspension. It would make the price easier to swallow.

I would be surprised if the real 0to60 time is 3.5 seconds. I would expect atleast 3.2. I am satisfied with that performance. I don't care about brakes or suspension. They are easily modifiable by aftermarket parts for much higher quality.

I do question Tesla's choice in using an induction motor and if it'll have any cooling issues on the track.

If Elon really wants this car to be quicker around a track than a M3 or the Mission E then I hope they put some real effort into the handling of the car.

Reactions: dgaultiere
If there are no brake and suspension upgrades, consider me very disappointed. While 3.5 seconds is very fast, if you don’t have any of the supporting mods to go with it, it’s just meaningless to me.

My current car, a 2010 Infiniti G37xS sedan with tons of aftermarket parts is faster than most anything I come across on the street. And that’s a 5 second 0-60 car.

I hope we get further word of upgraded brakes and suspension. It would make the price easier to swallow.

Tesla CEO Elon Musk ties base Model 3 availability to company profitability

upload_2018-5-21_20-52-4.png

• Informative
Reactions: Brando
Maybe they had to go with 20 inch wheels due to massive brake calibers, if not I’m pulling them off, learned that from my multiple cracked wheels and hours sitting on the side of the road waiting for roadside assistance with my model s.

You CAN order the Performance with 18" Aero wheels, so I suspect that *if* brakes are larger (I don't know, but I don't think so because they'd have probably advertised that), they fit with the 18's.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and kbM3
The fact that the calipers are not painted red sort of implies that they're the same brakes as the LR. Elon said in a tweet today that they're not red to reduce complexity. If they were a separate part, how would painting them red add complexity? They're not manufactured by Tesla.
I wish he hadn't said that the P would compete with any car in its class on the track. He's setting Tesla up for major embarrassment. It seems like most customers are fine with just having super fast 0-60 times.

0-60 alone doesn't have much to do with track performance since you only do 0-60 once on track, at the start. Braking, suspension/handling and acceleration at speed are much more important factors. The Model 3 looks to be weak on braking and suspension would need significant improvements to handle well on track; acceleration at speed has never been a strong suit for EVs.

I doubt better performance compared to BMW M3 on a reasonably lengthy track or over several laps. I mean I wish it does, but just doubt it until I see it.

I wonder, when Elon says 15% faster than a M3 BMW, that is a very specific figure. I think to be so specific they have track tested their development hack performance model 3s against a BMW M3 and found that either overall lap time is 15% faster (which is a huge difference), or else some other metric (e.g. mid corner speed, terminal speed down the straight ?) is 15 % faster. Or else the only track he is talking about is the drag strip, where I fully believe 15% faster than an M3 is on the cards based on the published 0-60 figures......

• Informative
Reactions: Zoomit
I wonder, when Elon says 15% faster than a M3 BMW, that is a very specific figure. I think to be so specific they have track tested their development hack performance model 3s against a BMW M3 and found that either overall lap time is 15% faster (which is a huge difference), or else some other metric (e.g. mid corner speed, terminal speed down the straight ?) is 15 % faster. Or else the only track he is talking about is the drag strip, where I fully believe 15% faster than an M3 is on the cards based on the published 0-60 figures......
He's talking about a drag strip. 15% faster on a race track would be mind blowingly good. To put it in perspective in this test a Ferrari 488 was only 18% faster than a Mazda Miata.
Best Driver’s Lap: Slot Car Seca - Motor Trend

Also to keep it in perspective a Model S is slower than a stock Mazda Miata around Laguna Seca. Tesla has a long way to go before it can compete in that realm.
Ferrari 488 1:31.68
BMW M4 GTS 1:37.66
Mazda Miata 1:51.43
Model S (Refuel 2017) 1:52.43 (I'm guessing this was probably not on stock tires)

There are a bunch of vids of the mission e prototype/mule doing cold weather, nürburgring and othet track testing. I'm thinking that Porsche has done more testing on their mission e than tesla has with the model 3.
Your guess on the price comparison of Model 3 vs Mission E?
"Testing" covers a very wide range of things. Just what things might you think Porsche tests more/longer than Tesla Model 3?

thanks for your thoughts.

Your guess on the price comparison of Model 3 vs Mission E?
"Testing" covers a very wide range of things. Just what things might you think Porsche tests more/longer than Tesla Model 3?

thanks for your thoughts.
At nürburgring...brakes....probably....hhhhh. But seriously....prob getting data to tune PASM, springs, 4 wheel steering, brakes, torque vectoring. In cold weather...prob getting additional data now with lower temps and friction.

Also to keep it in perspective a Model S is slower than a stock Mazda Miata around Laguna Seca. Tesla has a long way to go before it can compete in that realm.
Ferrari 488 1:31.68
BMW M4 GTS 1:37.66
Mazda Miata 1:51.43
Model S (Refuel 2017) 1:52.43 (I'm guessing this was probably not on stock tires)

Interesting, but I don't buy your conclusion. Unless equal tire type and especially driver experience and skill are taken into account, these numbers mean little. Miatas are perhaps the most widely raced production cars in the world, and at Laguna hundreds of highly experienced racers have driven Miatas in very intense competition. A relatively much smaller number of drivers of unknown experience and skill, with unknown tire type, driving in a few Refuel events can't be compared to Miata stock competition records.