Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Model 3 Snow Tires/Rims

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are the stock tires on the performance with performance upgrade safe to drive on if it is 40 or below 40?

From personal experience with the Michelin summer high performance tires (though on a different car in a different size) they're awesome at 40 and above.

Down from there to about 20-25 they're.... ok.... if:

it's dry
and
You drive relatively conservatively... pretty much just drive "normal" instead of taking corners at high speed or flooring the car and it's no problem to drive

Only had to do that a few times when I found myself out later than originally planned... (it's pretty rare it's that cold here other than late at night in the winter) but they weren't constantly on the verge of killing me by doing it or anything.

Once you get much colder, or if it's at all wet at any temp below freezing, don't drive on em even if you don't have a choice.

• Helpful
Reactions: hoang51
Looking into options for winter tires on a p3d+

Tsportline said the 19” winter tire package would definitely work with the p3d+, looks like 3100 , and maybe shipping and mounting costs. Not sure about shipping.

Tesla said they are getting a 20” winter tire package in, would be roughly 5k. That’s 2k more than the 19s, but could have the service center put them on, they would be Oem kind of thing. Currently unavailable anyway, kind of link the tsportline.

Hard choices!

Also looks like Costco has a wheel maker they work with that has rims for 299, not sure about quality. Does how to lift a Tesla and all that?

Looking into options for winter tires on a p3d+

Tsportline said the 19” winter tire package would definitely work with the p3d+, looks like 3100 , and maybe shipping and mounting costs. Not sure about shipping.

Tesla said they are getting a 20” winter tire package in, would be roughly 5k. That’s 2k more than the 19s, but could have the service center put them on, they would be Oem kind of thing. Currently unavailable anyway, kind of link the tsportline.

Hard choices!
I went with Tsportline 18s. The only place the clearance is super tight is the top edge of the rear caliper, and it still has at least 1/4". We don't get a ton of snow here usually, so that should be fine for me. If you live somewhere with a ton of snow all the time you might want to opt for 19s for a bit more clearance for snow to pack inside the barrel.

Received my winter set today. Flow one F3 19” with Blizzaks. Won’t be able to test fit until this weekend though. They use a hub centric ring that’s thinner than the bored out grove in the wheel and sits down into the wheel...leaving ~3.3 MM to accomodate the lip on the hub...whether its actually deep enough, I’ll find out this weekend.

Only thing is the wheels are 9” wide. With 235’s there is bit more stretch than I’m used to. Could run 245’s but narrower is better for snow. Depending on how they grow on me once mounted I may or may not switch to 245’s next go round. Blizzak has a narrower tire than most which doesnt help as well. Maybe a wider 235 winter tire like Michelin’s or Pirelli’s might not have as much stretch.

D3FB065C-24D9-4C4E-882E-2ACB5B5AF1BC.jpeg
D292EEE7-4078-4758-85B1-5F7C6034ECCB.jpeg
F25D815C-9632-436B-BEEF-2E8151AB0908.jpeg

Last edited:
Received my winter set today. Flow one F3 19” with Blizzaks. Won’t be able to test fit until this weekend though. They use a hub centric ring that’s thinner than the bored out grove in the wheel and sits down into the wheel...leaving ~3.3 MM to accomodate the lip on the hub...whether its actually deep enough, I’ll find out this weekend.

Only thing is the wheels are 9” wide. With 235’s there is bit more stretch than I’m used to. Could run 245’s but narrower is better for snow. Depending on how they grow on me once mounted I may or may not switch to 245’s next go round. Blizzak has a narrower tire than most which doesnt help as well. Maybe a wider 235 winter tire like Michelin’s or Pirelli’s might not have as much stretch.

View attachment 344810 View attachment 344811 View attachment 344812
Did you get these through Tirerack?

I just put on the AS3+ on my P3D+, swapped out the stock 4S for these.

I seem to have a different experience than others who have done the same swap. I find the tires to be much stiffer, this is more noticeable on roads that aren’t smooth. It’s so bad in fact, the car will vibrate and I can hear the windows/doors way more on each side of the car as they resonate with the road. There is noticeable more road howl as well, especially at higher speeds (70mph+).

Dry traction is excellent, got some light rain last night and they did well. I just got them put on yesterday and those things I mentioned earlier were instant noticeable, these are the only all-season for the 20” rims I could find on tire rack, so I’m stuck with them unless I don’t want to drive the car as the temps go down, or I can get a different set and do the whole seasonal tire/rim swap, which I don’t want to do again.

If anyone else gets the AS3+ mounted on the 20” rims, share your experiences. It really made the car overall less enjoyable for me, especially the increased vibration/noise inside the cabin. Not a fan of how I can hear noise coming from the vibrating doors/windows on each side of the car now.

• Informative
Reactions: Zippy_EV
I just put on the AS3+ on my P3D+, swapped out the stock 4S for these.

I seem to have a different experience than others who have done the same swap. I find the tires to be much stiffer, this is more noticeable on roads that aren’t smooth. It’s so bad in fact, the car will vibrate and I can hear the windows/doors way more on each side of the car as they resonate with the road. There is noticeable more road howl as well, especially at higher speeds (70mph+).

Dry traction is excellent, got some light rain last night and they did well. I just got them put on yesterday and those things I mentioned earlier were instant noticeable, these are the only all-season for the 20” rims I could find on tire rack, so I’m stuck with them unless I don’t want to drive the car as the temps go down, or I can get a different set and do the whole seasonal tire/rim swap, which I don’t want to do again.

If anyone else gets the AS3+ mounted on the 20” rims, share your experiences. It really made the car overall less enjoyable for me, especially the increased vibration/noise inside the cabin. Not a fan of how I can hear noise coming from the vibrating doors/windows on each side of the car now.
You might be interested in this post: There’s Some Secret Tech Lurking In The Tesla Model 3 - Tesla Motors Club

I ended up buying a second OEM set of P3D 20” wheels off eBay for $1900, TPMS sensors for $150, and am having four Alpin PA4 tires mounted for $1200 - total of $3200 and change. I like the look of stock wheels too much and wouldn’t stomach Tesla’s pricing.

Bought a Rennstand with blank plate adapter and a Murphy’s Model 3 jack point. I’ve seen too many marred bolt wells to trust most tire shops. Swapped my own wheel sets between summer and winter for years and it’s time well spent.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shizzrock
I have a RWD Model 3 with 18" Aeros. I am looking for the Nokians - either R2 or R3s. Was going to put them on my current rims and then get new rims for the spring later on. My question is, where do you guys order them from? I can't seem to find them. I would prefer to pick them up locally but beggars can't be choosers. I am in NY Metro area. Thanks.

Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3 - Northern Comfort / Nokian Tires

Purchased my 18" Hakkapeliitta R3 tires from SimpleTire.com. Paid $904 for the set of four, with free shipping (included 5% off with email sign-up coupon). Ordered them 10/13, and they delivered 10/17. I haven't been able to mount them yet as I am waiting for my T-sportline rims to arrive. Their website still shows them backordered with an expected delivery before the end of the month. Hope they arrive before the snow flies or I am going to be in trouble here in Michigan.