Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Model 3 Snow Tires/Rims

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am intently watching this thread

Same here. Appreciate the discussion and am following with interest. Please continue to post options and plans, including links to possible 20" (or 19"?) wheels and/or tires to purchase. I'm picking up my P3D+ in 2 days and live in Southern NJ. I need a winter solution. For my Roadster I have used the same rims and just changed the tires between summer and winter. I have not noticed any damage to either. It is certainly easier to store extra tires than full wheels.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: nogassnorlax
As a soon-to-be owner of a P3D+ in a region where winter temperatures frequently dip to -30 and the roads can be covered in ice for weeks at a time, all-season tires are not going to cut it for me. I am intently watching this thread for a solution to appear.

Thread Starter here. After lots of research and reading all of the replies. I think there are several solutions at this point for P3D+ owners
  1. Buy the Tesla 19" winter tire set
    1. Expensive at $3500 USD
    2. Least amount of hassle other than storing wheels
    3. Best winter rim size that fits
  2. Buy 19" rims and put compatible tires on it (235/40/r19 with the correct speed and load rating)
    1. Moderate to expensive $2000-4500 USD Depends on chosen rims and tires
    2. Once purchased not to much of a hassle
  3. Buy 20" rims and put compatible tires on it (235/35/r20 with the correct speed and load rating)
    1. Moderate to expensive $2500-5000 USD Depends on chosen rims and tires
    2. Larger rims in the winter less performant.
  4. Swap onto 20" Stiletto(Sport) rims compatible tires(235/35/r20 with the correct speed and load rating)
    1. Cheapest up front at $1200-2000 USD depending on tires
    2. Swapping and Balancing can be up to $100-200 USD. ($200-400 yearly)
    3. Swapping and balancing may cause extra wear on the bead of the tires
    4. Larger rims in the winter less performant.
Im probably going to do option 2. If there was an option 5. Find 18" rims with clearance for the Performance brakes, I would do that. Now that people are getting their P3D+'s we might see more measurements and it might workout. 18's would offer the best winter performance.

1. Buy the Tesla 19" winter tire set
    1. Expensive at $3500 USD
    2. Least amount of hassle other than storing wheels
This seems like the best option, but based on the post from Nandrews508, Tesla does not recommend it:

After speaking with some more of my fellow agents, who again are very versed in mechanical workings of vehicles, I did learn that it is not going to have enough clearance to work and function properly.

P3D+ owners For your reference-
most of this comes from the owners manual
Wheels
  • 19" - 19x8.5 5x114.3(5x4.5) Offset 40mm (Ive seen people use 35mm offset)
  • 20" - 20x8.5 5x114.3(5x4.5) Offset 40mm (Ive seen people use 35mm offset)
Tires
  • 19"
    • Pirelli Winter Sottozero 3 235/40R19

• Informative
Reactions: NOLA_Mike
This seems like the best option, but based on the post from Nandrews508, Tesla does not recommend it:

But remember, these are the same Tesla people who said this:

The inner sidewall will rub against the calipers, and either very severely cause premature wear and tear on your tread, or cause a very uneven decline of your tread life. The other concern is that it may start to push on the calipers, if you were to hit a pothole or a large bump, misalignment of the calipers is a factor as well. All in all I think the safest route to take would be to not purchase the winter tires for your Performance Model 3, and maybe attempt safer driving habits during winter (not to say you don't already) just to increase your validity to safety.

I am still trying to get my head around how the "inner sidewall will rub against the calipers" and "that it may start to push on the calipers, if you were to hit a pothole". Makes absolutely zero sense. And worrisome that these "fellow agents, who again are very versed in mechanical workings of vehicles" have absolutely no clue about this.

--Cintoman

I agree with Cintoman. That's absolutely ridiculous. The summary from gurtburns has been what I've been thinking as well. Go with that.
The only time you have to worry about rubbing is if you make your tires larger diameter, or wider than stock. Just make sure the aftermarket wheels have the same offset (or similar), again as described above.

I still have a hard time believing this. I took delivery of my P3D+ last night and it seems that there is enough clearance for the 19" rims. I'm working on finding a local with the 19" stilettos who is willing to let me try a tire lol.

@gurtburns,

Please let us know both on this thread and the one I’m linking you to. The new issue that’s cropped up is the raised ‘hub lip’ and the corresponding ‘bore out’ on the inside of the 20” rim. @FlyNavy01 and myself are trying to determine if the “inside” of the 19” Stillettos have that same boreout to clear that hub lip. We need both a photo of the inside rim on the 19” where the rim mates the rotor hub and a test fit to see if the rim sits flush without needing a 5mm spacer. Reference post 23 & 29 or read the whole thread for perspective.

P3D+ misc info and pics- wheel weight, calipers, suspension

Ski

Oh boy...

I'm starting to regret my decision to add the Performance Upgrade Package to my car, living in the midwest.

I'm seriously considering dropping down to P3D- today, and finding aftermarket 19" rims with sports tires, get my own spoiler, paint the brakes and get metal pedals.

While it's nice to have superior brakes, track mode and lowered suspensions, I'm thinking the hassle of the 20" rims with the space issues of the brakes are starting to outweigh the benefits.

Sucks because I like the look of the PUP and 20" stiletto wheels. And nice to have everything factory installed (spoiler, brakes, etc).

Oh boy...

I'm starting to regret my decision to add the Performance Upgrade Package to my car, living in the midwest.

I'm seriously considering dropping down to P3D- today, and finding aftermarket 19" rims with sports tires, get my own spoiler, paint the brakes and get metal pedals.

While it's nice to have superior brakes, track mode and lowered suspensions, I'm thinking the hassle of the 20" rims with the space issues of the brakes are starting to outweigh the benefits.

Sucks because I like the look of the PUP and 20" stiletto wheels. And nice to have everything factory installed (spoiler, brakes, etc).

There is really no need to freak out about this. The simple / lazy solution is to just switch to the all season treads and call it a day. When there is heavier snow on the ground, I'll stay in my slippers and sip hot chocolate - or take my wife's SUV out. I've been on all season tires my entire life anyway and (knock on wood) have never had any issues in metro Boston winters.

Oh boy...

What hassles? Unless you're getting the P3D+ AND aftermarket wheels, then you have nothing to worry about. If you're swapping the 20's out like myself, just buy these 5mm spacers for $22 and your problem is solved. Getting all that stuff aftermarket is way more of a hassle than a few clicks on amazon in my opinion.

There is really no need to freak out about this. The simple / lazy solution is to just switch to the all season treads and call it a day. When there is heavier snow on the ground, I'll stay in my slippers and sip hot chocolate - or take my wife's SUV out. I've been on all season tires my entire life anyway and (knock on wood) have never had any issues in metro Boston winters.
Ah good call. Yeah, I feel like I'm freaking out. I appreciate the reassurance. Like yourself, I've always used all seasons in the midwest, with my S4 for example. Continental DWS06.

What hassles? Unless you're getting the P3D+ AND aftermarket wheels, then you have nothing to worry about. If you're swapping the 20's out like myself, just buy these 5mm spacers for $22 and your problem is solved. Getting all that stuff aftermarket is way more of a hassle than a few clicks on amazon in my opinion.
Oh I must have missed this. So this effectively deals with the gap in the rotor?

I'm going to need some clarifying on this. You mean put some all-season tires on the 20" rims that come with the P3D+? Has anyone even found all-seasons that fit these dimensions?

Where I live, it snows maybe a couple times a year max. Winters do get down to freezing but not much below that, certainly never below zero. It wouldn't kill me to take the PS4S off a P3D+ after I took delivery and put some PS A/S 3+ on or something but such a tire needs to exist first.

So this is annoying for me. If I still lived in California, then sure I would drive on the PS4S that come with the P3D+ year round. I feel like Tesla still operates with the mentality that all their cars are only sold in California and no one needs to drive their car in any weather other than sunny and 70 degrees.

Last edited:
I'm going to need some clarifying on this. You mean put some all-season tires on the 20" rims that come with the P3D+? Has anyone even found all-seasons that fit these dimensions?

Where I live, it snows maybe a couple times a year max. Winters do get down to freezing but not much below that, certainly never below zero. It wouldn't kill me to take the PS4S off a P3D+ after I took delivery and put some PS A/S 3+ on or something but such a tire needs to exist first.

Not sure why you think it doesn't exist?

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...odel 3&autoModClar=Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive

Pilot Sport AS 3+ in stock 20" Tesla Model 3 size

and here's 2 performance snow tires in that size too-

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...odel 3&autoModClar=Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive

Yay, it exists! I probably should have gone to Tire Rack and looked for it first before posting that.

I guess this is the best solution for those of us who aren't in deep snow country and are fine with all-seasons. It seems like a waste of money to just take the super-expensive and nice PS4S tires off the P3D+ but unless I buy a second set of 20" rims, it's probably the most efficient solution to the problem that I can think of.

Yay, it exists! I probably should have gone to Tire Rack and looked for it first before posting that.

I guess this is the best solution for those of us who aren't in deep snow country and are fine with all-seasons. It seems like a waste of money to just take the super-expensive and nice PS4S tires off the P3D+ but unless I buy a second set of 20" rims, it's probably the most efficient solution to the problem that I can think of.

This was going to be one of my options. Or buying a set of cheap 19" wheels and dedicated winter tires from tire rack. I ended up and decided to just go with the non-P AWD version instead.

--Cintoman

This was going to be one of my options. Or buying a set of cheap 19" wheels and dedicated winter tires from tire rack. I ended up and decided to just go with the non-P AWD version instead.

--Cintoman
I'm not a fan of low-profile tires, because of how easy it is to destroy them or your rims if you run over a pothole or hit a curb.

I'm actually leaning heavily towards just getting the P3D- because hell if I'm going to replace the stock tires anyways, I might as well replace a set of Primacy MXM4's instead of a very expensive set of PS4S's.

My current S has the 19" wheels and I've always been happy with them, having hit my share of potholes and never having any issues with trashed rims or blown-own tires afterwards.

Unfortunately wanting to go with the P3D- causes another problem which is currently not solved:
Anyone else waiting on Track Mode to decide P3D- or P3D+?