Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Model 3 Snow Tires/Rims

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those looking into all-season tires for weekend trips out to the mountains, have you considered those new 3 peak mountain snowflake tires? 3pmsf symbol. Like the Vredestein Quatrac 5? Got amazing snow ratings for an all-season tire. Then there's the Continental DWS, Dry Wet Snow, models that also seem to work well in snow.

Need some guidance on an interesting situation for me. I just sold my Model S for Model 3P+ picking up tomorrow.

I have a set of snow tires for Model S on the 19" rims, just the treads.

Will my model S snow tires (Which I like) fit on a set of 19" rims (aftermarket or otherwise) that would then fir the Model 3P+?

Tire size for Model S snow tires is:
245/45R-19 Bridgestone Blizzak LM-32 XL

Would these fit on a 19" rim compatible with model 3P+?

PSA: If you are thinking about getting wheels from EV Wheels Direct please read their response copied below to my inquiry about the brake M3P+ size brakes on their 20" rims.

"Thank you for your inquiry.

Having bigger brakes for the for the Tesla Model 3 Performance won't be a problem. However, It was recently discovered that wheels for the Model 3 Performance + Upgrade Package require wheels with a specially-shaped center bore. As a result, our current wheels are not compatible. To accommodate all Model 3 vehicles, we are going to be altering the design of all of our wheels going forward. The newer versions of our wheels are currently in the engineering phase, and we expect to have the first units available around the end of the year. If you're interested in being included in the first batch, please let us know."

• Informative
Reactions: Skione65
It probably is not for everyone, but I have been able to manage for 10 years in MD winters with a 6spd manual 350Z on performance summer tires, 275mm wide in the back and 245mm in the front. I didn't drive if there the snow on the roads were not cleared, apart from that I drove in all seasons, I let the tires warm up before pushing it. I have had my share of hairy incidents, but it wasn't terribly bad.
Here in BC it is illegal to drive with summer tires on the mountain highways from Oct 1 - April. They will tow you or not let you on the highway and if you get in an accident with summer tires during winter on your insurance will be void.

Has anyone tried fitting 18" wheels from Tire Rack to a P3D+? I called Tire Rack and they said if they say it fits the car they will cover all costs to return the wheels if they don't fit, but that sounds like a huge hassle.

I'm picking up my car next weekend and want to figure out a cost-effective winter tire solution soon.

PSA: If you are thinking about getting wheels from EV Wheels Direct please read their response copied below to my inquiry about the brake M3P+ size brakes on their 20" rims.

Having bigger brakes for the for the Tesla Model 3 Performance won't be a problem. However, It was recently discovered that wheels for the Model 3 Performance + Upgrade Package require wheels with a specially-shaped center bore. As a result, our current wheels are not compatible. To accommodate all Model 3 vehicles, we are going to be altering the design of all of our wheels going forward. The newer versions of our wheels are currently in the engineering phase, and we expect to have the first units available around the end of the year. If you're interested in being included in the first batch, please let us know."

Do you know if this is true on their 19" as well? I want a smaller rim for my winter tires, gotta eke that efficiency up for winter ski driving

Last edited:
Ah. Got ya. Well, they don't say they come balanced, but I think it's a safe assumption that they would be. TMPS are included. So it should be "plug-and-play".

Very safe assumption. All our Wheel & Tire Packages are balanced on a Hunter Roadforce Elite. All WTP's (Wheel & Tire Packages) are plug and play ready to put on.

18" TST in Space Gray on Pirelli Winter Sottozero II is a great winter combo.

pearl-white-tesla-model-3-performance-upgrade-space-gray-18-inch-tst.jpg

Very safe assumption. All our Wheel & Tire Packages are balanced on a Hunter Roadforce Elite. All WTP's (Wheel & Tire Packages) are plug and play ready to put on.

18" TST in Space Gray on Pirelli Winter Sottozero II is a great winter combo.

View attachment 335542

How well do your 18" and 19" TST fit on the P3D+?

What's your experience with Nokian WR-G3? I'm a but concerned about possible curb rash etc.. have to go all weather though since I live in San Diego. Buying all weather to drive up to mammoth

How well do your 18" and 19" TST fit on the P3D+?

What's your experience with Nokian WR-G3? I'm a but concerned about possible curb rash etc.. have to go all weather though since I live in San Diego. Buying all weather to drive up to mammoth

How well? They fit great. Plenty of imagery in the product gallery. Well proportioned design and spoke width relative to the diameter of the wheel and size of car. Flow forged for light weight (21lbs).

Conti DWS06 is a good choice for All Season.

Reactions: TheLocNar

...By that time T Sportline will have a December to Remember Sale. They've done it 2 years in a row. Google, or search on TMC.

This thread has been invaluable in helping me make a winter decision for my P3D+. Thank you all who contributed to this discussion. Considered all the options
1. Keep 20" wheels, buy all-season tires (keep or sell the Michelin Pilot 4S)
2. Keep 20" wheels, buy winter tires (reinstall and re-balance wheels in spring)
3. Buy new 20” wheels and winter tires, Store current wheels and tires and put back on in spring time.
4. Buy new 19” wheels and winter tires (uncertain if they will fit over the performance brakes). Store current wheels and tires and put back on in spring time.
5. And these were the options until I found that TSportline has an 18" wheel which will be better for winter roadways and I called to confirm that it has been modified to fit over the performance brakes.

So, decided to go with the TSportline 18" TST Flow Forged Tesla Wheel (Set of 4) in Space Gray for the Performance Model 3 with Performance upgrade for $1500 (free shipping) plus $45 for lug nut covers.

However, the winter tires they offer (Pirelli Winter Sottozero Serie 2) are not the best for ice and snow based on Tire Rack reviews. Instead opted for Michelin X-ice XI3 which are also quieter. So bought the wheels and tires separately and will store them until we install in November/December. Will store the 20" wheels and re-install in March. Hopefully, this way I will have the best of both worlds.

View attachment 331631

I received word directly from Tesla service. The 19" Tesla wheels will not fit over the performance brakes. Their suggestion is to get 20" winter tires that fit the wheels.

More info for this thread. I called Tesla service this morning and they WILL NOT swap out tire treads for me ahead of my delivery (on 9/28). I'm just putting all seasons on the 20 inch wheels and calling it a day. He also said they won't do it after the fact either and that they only switch tires "that come with the car", which is sort of funny/weird. I honestly didn't have the patience to have him elaborate. Anyway, long story short is that I'll be using my local tire shop to swap treads for me :) They work with Teslas all the time and do a great job.

This may be service center dependent. I have not had a problem with switching between winter and summer tires for my Roadster (using same wheel rims) at my Tesla SC. Neither tire is the original tire model. In addition, I've already talked to my service center about P3D+ and they said they can install TSportline wheels, so I don't anticipate having any trouble. But if I do, I have used a local NTB store -- the reason I stopped doing that for Roadster is that the TPMS is finicky that I prefer Tesla to do it or I'll end up there anyway after I get TPMS alerts.

Ha forget that. Get the 18” TSportline TST wheels. They’ll fit.

The clearance between the caliper and the barrel is way too small. The amount of snow that gets packed into rims around here in winter makes that a complete no-go for me. I need room for packed snow to not scratch the paint off my calipers, or wedge road gravel between them and score my wheels.