Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Model 3 Snow Tires/Rims

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Very safe assumption. All our Wheel & Tire Packages are balanced on a Hunter Roadforce Elite. All WTP's (Wheel & Tire Packages) are plug and play ready to put on.

18" TST in Space Gray on Pirelli Winter Sottozero II is a great winter combo.

View attachment 335542

Thinking about what to do for winter tires on my P3+ and have a couple of questions.

What happens to the overall diameter of the combo 18" wheels and Pirelli Sottozero? Aesthetics don't concern me too much for winter, but wondering if the car would sit lower to the ground. (Seems car can recalibrate and handle different sizes

Second, can't find appropriate temperature ranges for the Sottozeros. I'm in Seattle where 50° and wet is more likely than snow, but also want appropriate tires for trips to the mountains and the occasion in town dusting. Appropriate once air temperature is in the forties consistently?

Thanks and apologies if the answers are already out there and I haven't run across them.

Thinking about what to do for winter tires on my P3+ and have a couple of questions.

What happens to the overall diameter of the combo 18" wheels and Pirelli Sottozero? Aesthetics don't concern me too much for winter, but wondering if the car would sit lower to the ground. (Seems car can recalibrate and handle different sizes

The side wall is taller, so the wheel is smaller but the outside diameter of the tire is basically the same between 18, 19 and 20.

Second, can't find appropriate temperature ranges for the Sottozeros. I'm in Seattle where 50° and wet is more likely than snow, but also want appropriate tires for trips to the mountains and the occasion in town dusting. Appropriate once air temperature is in the forties consistently?

With temps in the 40s, you want to get off of summer performance and ultra performance tires ASAP. Having said that, at 50 degrees lots of dedicated winter tires are going to turn into sponges. Being in the PNW, you're really going to want to look for something well suited to rain. Something with good water clearing channels. The Sottozeros have been pretty reliably rated in wet driving, so that's a great start. But you're not going to want to beat on those tires. You'll end up wearing the traction lugs improperly and they'll be garbage when you do get to snowy conditions.

For something like in-town dustings that melt away pretty quickly, there's really no winter tire made for that. The snow isn't deep enough, the ground isn't cold enough, and so you're basically driving on wet pavement.

With temps in the 40s, you want to get off of summer performance and ultra performance tires ASAP. Having said that, at 50 degrees lots of dedicated winter tires are going to turn into sponges. Being in the PNW, you're really going to want to look for something well suited to rain. Something with good water clearing channels. The Sottozeros have been pretty reliably rated in wet driving, so that's a great start. But you're not going to want to beat on those tires. You'll end up wearing the traction lugs improperly and they'll be garbage when you do get to snowy conditions.

For something like in-town dustings that melt away pretty quickly, there's really no winter tire made for that. The snow isn't deep enough, the ground isn't cold enough, and so you're basically driving on wet pavement.

Appreciate your response, it meshes closely with what I was thinking but maybe couldn't put words to. All seasons seem like a better compromise for lowland Western Washington, with maybe chains just in case for situations where the snow is too slippery.

Appreciate your response, it meshes closely with what I was thinking but maybe couldn't put words to. All seasons seem like a better compromise for lowland Western Washington, with maybe chains just in case for situations where the snow is too slippery.

Just a heads up, do not put regular chains on your Tesla. The clearance between the suspension components, wheel arches, fenders, and tire are all too close. The Tesla manual lists chains that they tested for clearance. Especially if you use the 20" wheels, they suggest using Maggi Trak Sport 214s, which are pretty expensive at around $375 a set. But that's a hell of a lot cheaper than a crash, so money well spent if you might end up going up or down a mountain in the snow in the northwest US.

How well? They fit great. Plenty of imagery in the product gallery. Well proportioned design and spoke width relative to the diameter of the wheel and size of car. Flow forged for light weight (21lbs).

Conti DWS06 is a good choice for All Season.

Unfortunately those are not 3PMSF rated like the Nokian WR G3 are.

Looks like these tires dont come in the exact size of TST 19" rims. (I want the 19" for a bit more clearance as well as the metallic grey)

Any thoughts on size and fitment? For 19" nokian I can go :

245 45 19
255 35 19
255 40 19

I'm leaning towards 245 (that will be the best Wh/mi?)

I received word directly from Tesla service. The 19" Tesla wheels will not fit over the performance brakes. Their suggestion is to get 20" winter tires that fit the wheels.

It's still funny to me that they would ship out a car with literally no "Tesla" option to drive it in 2/3rds of the country for half the year. Haha. Good stuff. I'm still going the lazy route with all-seasons, but I may keep the summers in the garage for a year just in case Tesla puts out their own 20 inch winter wheel/rim set that actually fits a P3D+.

That's what I got for my MCR P3D+! Can't wait to check them out when they deliver this Thursday. I've never been excited for winter like this before!

If you have the time, please test them. I'm worried about clearance between the calipers and the ID of the wheel. While I have no doubt they fit, I'm concerned about having adequate clearance as others have described for snow/debris.
That's a really good point. Has anyone been able to measure what that clearance is? Can @Tsportline provide that?

Yep. I’m waiting on this perspective before ordering wheels and then likely going with X ices or Nokians.

I’ve
I was all on board to just getting some All Seasons. But after researching how easy it is to switch wheels at home and with Tsportline selling a ready to install kit, gonna just switch to having a second set.

I don’t know where you’re located but I’ve been switching snows myself for decades.

I look at it like this. The only extra cost in the long run is rims.

You will use up all the rubber you put on the car. You save your summer tires while your winter tires are on.

You can have better tires in summer for summer too.

If snows save you one tiny fender bender they pay back huge.

It’s more fun to drive with snows.

I always run larger sidewalls for snows. Potholes are just as much trouble as snow. You will protect your better rims from getting bent or eaten by salt.

Cars need snows in snow no matter what. I had my first AWD Audi Quattro. I took it up our get away which was north 120 miles. There was 6” of snow in a long gravel driveway. I could not get up the slight incline driveway.

The following month. I had snows with a foot of snow. It was a tank.

Few years later I had a FWD with snows and there was like 30” of snow. It was a grand am. It did so well my biggest problem was I could not see. It plowed UNDER the snow went up the hood onto the windshield and right over the back. Like a puppy on his first snow. Once I got to the house and in the garage I opened the hood. The engine compartment was packed to the brim with snow.

I buy snows even on a Jeep that came with all terrain tires.

I almost always buy Nokian’s. They are expensive but they last forever. My wife’s Passat had 227k miles. It still had the original snows. 11 seasons. Had to replace steel rims ones because they were to rusty.

I rotate my tires when I switch snows. Twice a year regardless of what mileage I’m at. Keeps things simple.

Thanks for all the info on the previous 9 pages of comments. I pick up my M3P+ in three days. I will purchase the T-Sportsline 18" wheels in silver and TPMS. My local dealer will install Nokian Hakka R3 winter tires on these wheels in 225/50-18R size. I have had Hakkas for over 30 years and they are amazing. I drove my S4 to a drivers school in 2003 during a snowstorm with summer tires. Never again.

Reactions: Santa Claws
It's still funny to me that they would ship out a car with literally no "Tesla" option to drive it in 2/3rds of the country for half the year. Haha. Good stuff. I'm still going the lazy route with all-seasons, but I may keep the summers in the garage for a year just in case Tesla puts out their own 20 inch winter wheel/rim set that actually fits a P3D+.

Just buy snow tires. There are several brans that work just fine, so this isn't selling a car that has no option for 2/3rds of the country for half the year.

Too much info and this is becoming overwhelming for since I'm not a car guy. Might just stick to the lazy route and get all season tires unless someone has a better suggestion lol

Better suggestion: Buy winter tires, have them put on your 20" wheels. When warmer months come, switch back to your ultra performance tires.

Better suggestion: Buy winter tires, have them put on your 20" wheels. When warmer months come, switch back to your ultra performance tires.

True. But there are some people on here that recommend you not stretch your tires. I don't really see the big deal in that. They cost about $1k a set of tires as oppose to spending $4k for new wheels and tire. But again I'm not a car guy and not sure how long those stretched tires last. Maybe someone can correct me.

Swapping out for winter tires cost about $60-140 depending on where you're at. How much does it cost to switch out wheels?

Trying to add up to see if getting new winter wheels and set is a better investment.

Also how long do the performance tires usually last?

True. But there are some people on here that recommend you not stretch your tires. I don't really see the big deal in that. They cost about $1k a set of tires as oppose to spending $4k for new wheels and tire. But again I'm not a car guy and not sure how long those stretched tires last. Maybe someone can correct me.

Swapping out for winter tires cost about $60-140 depending on where you're at. How much does it cost to switch out wheels?

Trying to add up to see if getting new winter wheels and set is a better investment.

Also how long do the performance tires usually last?

I'm not sure what you mean about stretching tires. Buy tires that fit the rim on the vehicle and there's no stretching.

Swapping wheels versus swapping tires is probably the same price. In both cases old wheels need to be dismounted and new need to be mounted, plus the ones going on the car need to be high speed balanced. The only difference is less than a minute of time to take a tire off a rim, put a new one on, and inflate the tire. It's no joke less than a minute per tire.

Nobody can tell you how long a tire will last, because everybody drives differently. You can use the relative wear rating a tire has and that will tell you what you could roughly expect between tires in a government designed test. Your foot controls how fast or slow tires wear.

Thanks for all the info on the previous 9 pages of comments. I pick up my M3P+ in three days. I will purchase the T-Sportsline 18" wheels in silver and TPMS. My local dealer will install Nokian Hakka R3 winter tires on these wheels in 225/50-18R size. I have had Hakkas for over 30 years and they are amazing. I drove my S4 to a drivers school in 2003 during a snowstorm with summer tires. Never again.

I’m likely going to do the same thing and Hakkas as well JT was looking at 235 45 18. I like your idea of a narrower tire and taller sidewall. That will work on that wheel and rolling diameter is fine right?

I received word directly from Tesla service. The 19" Tesla wheels will not fit over the performance brakes. Their suggestion is to get 20" winter tires that fit the wheels.

My local Tesla SC told me this week that the 19" wheels will indeed fit on my P3D+.

I stopped by to ask about it last week and they said that they didn't know but that they had received the same question many times and would ask about it on some sort of then upcoming service center conference call. They called me afterward to let me know.

It's clear that this SC hasn't actually tried, itself, to put 19" wheels on a P3D+. On the other hand, it seems that they are also relaying the information they were told to.

Reactions: afadeev
My local Tesla SC told me this week that the 19" wheels will indeed fit on my P3D+.

I stopped by to ask about it last week and they said that they didn't know but that they had received the same question many times and would ask about it on some sort of then upcoming service center conference call. They called me afterward to let me know.

It's clear that this SC hasn't actually tried, itself, to put 19" wheels on a P3D+. On the other hand, it seems that they are also relaying the information they were told to.

This is why I didn't bother to call my local SC but contacted Tesla by email. I guess we'll know for sure the first time someone tries it.

This is why I didn't bother to call my local SC but contacted Tesla by email. I guess we'll know for sure the first time someone tries it.

Interesting data point. The online store indicates that the 19” Winter tire/wheel package is not compatible. Model 3 19" Sport Wheel and Winter Tire Package

*This package is not compatible with Model 3 Performance Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive configured with the Performance Upgrade – Contact your nearest Tesla Service Center for more details

I receive a performance Model 3 with the 20s tomorrow and will be getting some form of winter or A/S tire as I’m moving from CA to the Midwest in Dec. It will be interesting to see what options end up being factory approved/encouraged.

After 9 pages of thread how are you going to run 18s with the M3P+ ?
I have a performance 3 dual with all the options ticked. From what I’ve read it seems I’d need to go with another set of 20s with snows to clear the brakes. Did I miss something here ?