Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Model 3 Snow Tires/Rims

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I haven't been able to mount them yet as I am waiting for my T-sportline rims to arrive. Their website still shows them backordered with an expected delivery before the end of the month.

I'm in the same situation. I'm in Houston, so I don't need true winter tires like Hakkas, but I ordered the Vredestein Quatrac 5's in 235/45R18, and the T-Sportline 18s. Have the tires, TPMS, and locking lug nuts, just waiting on the T-Sportlines.

The tire shop figured out the problem that causing noise with my car. See the photo below. The screw with the paint marker line on it was loose. The photo was taken before it was tightened.

View attachment 339951

It was this way on the passenger side of the car. The screws on the driver's side were tight. Once the tire tech tightened those screws and mounted the tires, NO NOISE! Will follow up with Tesla to see if there is a bigger problem that I should be concerned about.

I would be a bit worried if this fixed your rattle. That screw is not meant to hold your rotor tight and I doubt the screw itself was making the noise. It is just a screw to keep the rotor in place while the wheel is off. If you have noise with that screw loose your wheel may not be not fully compressing the rotor as designed. The wheel studs create a sandwich with large forces with the rotor hub in the middle.

Last edited:
Reactions: MP3Mike
3A27C754-518E-43D9-8981-CD1F4EF5E954.jpeg
Test fit the 19” Flow One F3’s this weekend. They clear the lip on the hub. But tolerance of the spacers are very tight...and need to rock the wheel to fully seat them on the hub. Waiting to here from Tire Rack to see if they can measure and send out another set. I measured them as 64.08/.09 and should be 64.1. Otherwise should be good to go when it’s time to officially mount for the season.

Update on weights: Flow one set weighs in at 48 lbs, stock 20’s weigh 52.4 lbs

Last edited:
View attachment 345981 Test fit the 19” Flow One F3’s this weekend. They clear the lip on the hub. But tolerance of the spacers are very tight...and need to rock the wheel to fully seat them on the hub. Waiting to here from Tire Rack to see if they can measure and send out another set. I measured them as 64.08/.09 and should be 64.1. Otherwise should be good to go when it’s time to officially mount for the season.

Can you send a picture of the spacers. I assume the wheels have a different bore for the hub and these make up the difference?

Can you send a picture of the spacers. I assume the wheels have a different bore for the hub and these make up the difference?

Technically they’re hubcentric rings, spacers are different. I had posted pics on my other post. Performance Model 3 Snow Tires/Rims
Second pic is with the spacers installed in the wheel and third pic is without the spacers. Yes you are correct. The wheels have a 79.5 bore...and the spacers are supposed to size it down to 64.1.

Technically they’re hubcentric rings, spacers are different. I had posted pics on my other post. Performance Model 3 Snow Tires/Rims
Second pic is with the spacers installed in the wheel and third pic is without the spacers. Yes you are correct. The wheels have a 79.5 bore...and the spacers are supposed to size it down to 64.1.

Got it. Looking at solutions for my Performance+ as well and just trying to understand the different options. The wheels look good!

Purchased my 18" Hakkapeliitta R3 tires from SimpleTire.com. Paid $904 for the set of four, with free shipping (included 5% off with email sign-up coupon). Ordered them 10/13, and they delivered 10/17. I haven't been able to mount them yet as I am waiting for my T-sportline rims to arrive. Their website still shows them backordered with an expected delivery before the end of the month. Hope they arrive before the snow flies or I am going to be in trouble here in Michigan.

Are the R3s supposed to be similar to Blizzaks? Or a more ‘hardcore’ winter tire? I’m in Chicago and they do plow.. eventually... Crappy thing is my commute is a little bit before the real commuters get out 6:30-7am.

I was thinking of either Michelin X-ices or the Blizzak LM001s. But now I’m seeing more about these Hakkapeliitta R3s which is intriguing.

Anyone with thoughts for my climate?

I just put on the AS3+ on my P3D+, swapped out the stock 4S for these.

I seem to have a different experience than others who have done the same swap. I find the tires to be much stiffer, this is more noticeable on roads that aren’t smooth. It’s so bad in fact, the car will vibrate and I can hear the windows/doors way more on each side of the car as they resonate with the road. There is noticeable more road howl as well, especially at higher speeds (70mph+).

Dry traction is excellent, got some light rain last night and they did well. I just got them put on yesterday and those things I mentioned earlier were instant noticeable, these are the only all-season for the 20” rims I could find on tire rack, so I’m stuck with them unless I don’t want to drive the car as the temps go down, or I can get a different set and do the whole seasonal tire/rim swap, which I don’t want to do again.

If anyone else gets the AS3+ mounted on the 20” rims, share your experiences. It really made the car overall less enjoyable for me, especially the increased vibration/noise inside the cabin. Not a fan of how I can hear noise coming from the vibrating doors/windows on each side of the car now.
Crap

I’m getting AS3+s installed tomorrow and this kind of post is what I was dreading. I had the tire guy go back and forth with me on the DWS06 vs. AS3. He said the DWS06 was the better tire, but I overruled given how few DWS06 reviews there are.

If it’s bad I’ll probably swap to DWS.

Are the R3s supposed to be similar to Blizzaks? Or a more ‘hardcore’ winter tire? I’m in Chicago and they do plow.. eventually... Crappy thing is my commute is a little bit before the real commuters get out 6:30-7am.

I was thinking of either Michelin X-ices or the Blizzak LM001s. But now I’m seeing more about these Hakkapeliitta R3s which is intriguing.

Anyone with thoughts for my climate?
I have been doing a ton of reading about all three of these tires. The Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 (R3 is the new version) seems to always come out on the top of most of the comparisons I have seen. I really like the fact that they embed crystals in their rubber compound to give it better traction on slippery/icy roads and that they have lower rolling resistance than some of the other tires. Nokian also gets held up as the gold standard when it comes to winter tires. It should be noted though that I don't have any personal experience with these tires, yet.

• Informative
Reactions: UltralightBeam
Crap

I’m getting AS3+s installed tomorrow and this kind of post is what I was dreading. I had the tire guy go back and forth with me on the DWS06 vs. AS3. He said the DWS06 was the better tire, but I overruled given how few DWS06 reviews there are.

Getting mine installed on Tuesday so please let us know how it goes tomorrow! And good luck.

Crap

I have the Pilot Sport A/S 3+ (235/40R17 fronts and 255/40R17 rears) on another car and find the tires to be excellent performers. Albeit, I haven't tried it in 235/35R20 on a Model 3.

I ordered the TST 18" wheels for my P3+ (currently backordered) and am also trying to decide what tire to run. A/S 3+, DWS06 and Sottozero 3's are the contenders.

Please do share your experience with the A/S 3+ with the group. (One thing to note is that for 18's we can get 235/45R18 in the DWS06 whereas we have to go with the 245/45R18 in the A/S 3+. Sadly the 20's have the opposite problem DWS06 are only in 245/35R20 but the A/S 3+ come in 235/35R20)

Last edited:
Purchased my 18" Hakkapeliitta R3 tires from SimpleTire.com. Paid $904 for the set of four, with free shipping (included 5% off with email sign-up coupon). Ordered them 10/13, and they delivered 10/17. I haven't been able to mount them yet as I am waiting for my T-sportline rims to arrive. Their website still shows them backordered with an expected delivery before the end of the month. Hope they arrive before the snow flies or I am going to be in trouble here in Michigan.

Thanks. I will order them shortly.

I have the Pilot Sport A/S 3+ (235/40R17 fronts and 255/40R17 rears) on another car and find the tires to be excellent performers. Albeit, I haven't tried it in 235/35R20 on a Model 3.

I ordered the TST 18" wheels for my P3+ (currently backordered) and am also trying to decide what tire to run. A/S 3+, DWS06 and Sottozero 3's are the contenders.

Please do share your experience with the A/S 3+ with the group. (One thing to note is that for 18's we can get 235/45R18 in the DWS06 whereas we have to go with the 245/45R18 in the A/S 3+. Sadly the 20's have the opposite problem DWS06 are only in 245/35R20 but the A/S 3+ come in 235/35R20)

as far as everyone says 18" wheels will not fit p3+ many pictures of 19"s just barely clearing the brakes.

I just took video of the car with summers on at low/high speeds. Will do the same post-tire-swap and post here.

I'll be paying special attention to the harshness of the ride over bumps, etc.

If it's feeling any worse, I'll likely swap them out for some DWSs, which are known for being cushy, quiet, just less performant in the corners.

I just put on the AS3+ on my P3D+, swapped out the stock 4S for these.

I seem to have a different experience than others who have done the same swap. I find the tires to be much stiffer, this is more noticeable on roads that aren’t smooth. It’s so bad in fact, the car will vibrate and I can hear the windows/doors way more on each side of the car as they resonate with the road. There is noticeable more road howl as well, especially at higher speeds (70mph+).

Dry traction is excellent, got some light rain last night and they did well. I just got them put on yesterday and those things I mentioned earlier were instant noticeable, these are the only all-season for the 20” rims I could find on tire rack, so I’m stuck with them unless I don’t want to drive the car as the temps go down, or I can get a different set and do the whole seasonal tire/rim swap, which I don’t want to do again.

If anyone else gets the AS3+ mounted on the 20” rims, share your experiences. It really made the car overall less enjoyable for me, especially the increased vibration/noise inside the cabin. Not a fan of how I can hear noise coming from the vibrating doors/windows on each side of the car now.

FYI, this wasn't my experience at all. The all seasons have performed better in every respect vs. the Pilot S stock treads. Extremely smooth ride. Less road noise, better grip, less slippage on wet surface, etc. Inflation is key - making sure it stays around 42 psi with the crazy New England temp swings is important.

• Informative
Reactions: skrtskrt and PA ZU
FYI, this wasn't my experience at all. The all seasons have performed better in every respect vs. the Pilot S stock treads. Extremely smooth ride. Less road noise, better grip, less slippage on wet surface, etc. Inflation is key - making sure it stays around 42 psi with the crazy New England temp swings is important.
Yeah, I saw your earlier post and wanted to add my experience. Maybe there’s something else going on with my car if I’m the only one with seemingly more noise/vibration. I’m taking it in for service in a couple weeks for the road howl, it’s that bad. Around town, bumps would not cause my windows to rattle like they do now. Loud enough for me to hear over music, where it used to just be the thud from the dampeners.

Just called an audible. Getting DWS06s put on as we speak. They’re clearly not used to Model 3s at the shop here. The card key was foreign to them, and they were looking for the air suspension setting :).

Anyway, I switched at the last minute as I will take a more cushy ride in exchange for handling.

They’re supposed to definitely be quieter than the Michelins too. And cheaper, but who’s counting?

The video will be the final proof!

I have never been this indecisive about anything in my life.

Last edited:
So the Tesla service center in Westmont, IL ordered me the sport rims with the pirelli winter tires and said that is what they recommend . They haven't come in yet though.

I'm suppose to be picking up my P3D+ there within a month. I didn't know you could request that?

To those who are picking up their P3D+ within the next few months w/ winter and snow approaching, the stock summer tires are going to be scary to drive. I'm wondering if Tesla will be able to switch tires for me or give me All Season tires instead of their summer tires?

I'm suppose to be picking up my P3D+ there within a month. I didn't know you could request that?

To those who are picking up their P3D+ within the next few months w/ winter and snow approaching, the stock summer tires are going to be scary to drive. I'm wondering if Tesla will be able to switch tires for me or give me All Season tires instead of their summer tires?

Really curious which ones they choose.