Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Model 3 Snow Tires/Rims

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Crap

I’m getting AS3+s installed tomorrow and this kind of post is what I was dreading. I had the tire guy go back and forth with me on the DWS06 vs. AS3. He said the DWS06 was the better tire, but I overruled given how few DWS06 reviews there are.

If it’s bad I’ll probably swap to DWS.

Do they make a DWS in the stock 20" size?

Because of the the performance brake - I was told I cannot use 18’ or 19’ wheels (which would have been my first choice).

usofrob -
Was this price for 20’rims & tires?
www.tirerack.com (and other websites) are now able to differentiate which wheels will be able to fit around the performance red brakes. I got the TR brand (Tire Rack) wheels in 18x8".

Attachments

• IMG_20181020_192838.jpg
    IMG_20181020_192838.jpg
    526.4 KB · Views: 162

Alright here ya go! The Continental DWS 06 on OEM 20” wheels.

Check the video description for details.

Overall, the first couple of miles were loud, but they quickly settled in and became just as quiet as the summer tires.

Road feel and noise is pretty much indistinguishable from the Pilot 4Ss.

I did a hard launch, and the tires were struggling with traction at 30mph. Some of this is just the nature of all seasons, of course. If they add a ludicrous mode, I’ll be switching back to my summer tires come spring. For now, I plan for these to be my all-year tire.

By the way, be prepared to explain, and re-explain how the key works on a Model 3. Mine was clearly the first one they’d worked on. Surprising considering nobody should be on summer tires right now!

Oh — and the sound deadening foam seems to be a marketing gimmick. I’d have a very hard time believing it has any effect. It’s like the cheap stuff you can buy on Amazon that doesn’t actually do anything.

I don't see DWS06 in the OEM 20 size. What size tire did you get?

Attachments

• tire.jpg
    tire.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 103
I called T Sportline on Friday. Apparently the wheels are hung up in customs and will hopefully be released within a week or so. I’m almost ready to cancel and go with Tirerack (I can drive and pick them up).
Thanks for updating us. I am on the verge of doing the same thing. Getting worried that I am going to be stuck without a car to drive here soon. I am curious what tires you have considered on Tire Rack.

Has anyone actually tried the 19" Model 3 wheel on a Model 3 Performance with the Performance package. I pulled one wheel off of my RWD LR with 19" wheels and it appears to have the relief machined in to fit with the brakes/hub on the P3D+. I did not have enough time to actually try and swap and will do sometime this week.

Thanks for updating us. I am on the verge of doing the same thing. Getting worried that I am going to be stuck without a car to drive here soon. I am curious what tires you have considered on Tire Rack.

I’m looking at the Pirelli Sotozero Serie 3 for the dry performance. I live where it can snow, I will drive to the snow frequently, but day-to-day will be just plain cold weather.

I’m looking at the Pirelli Sotozero Serie 3 for the dry performance. I live where it can snow, I will drive to the snow frequently, but day-to-day will be just plain cold weather.
Also look into the Michelin Alpin pa4. I was between those and the Sottozero 3s and some online sources seemed to give the edge to the Michelin’s. I have loved them those far. They also come with 30k mile warranty which pirellis don’t. They are also non-directional so you can switch them to the other side of the vehicle to hopefully get more mileage out of them. The pirellis are directional and can only be rotated front to back

Has anyone actually tried the 19" Model 3 wheel on a Model 3 Performance with the Performance package. I pulled one wheel off of my RWD LR with 19" wheels and it appears to have the relief machined in to fit with the brakes/hub on the P3D+. I did not have enough time to actually try and swap and will do sometime this week.

The parts catalog shows there are two versions of the 20" wheel, one for the P3D+ and one for everything else. There are no P3D+ specific wheels for the 18" and 19" wheels.

The parts catalog shows there are two versions of the 20" wheel, one for the P3D+ and one for everything else. There are no P3D+ specific wheels for the 18" and 19" wheels.

But I think the only difference is the offset. The 19" wheel has a 40MM offset. The 20" has a 35MM offset. They did this make up for the difference of the thickness of the rotor and have the wheel/tire sit slightly outward. (The rotor is thinner where it meets the hub). The front/rear track on the performance should be 4mm wider as the rotors are 3mm thinner.

So I have looked at the back of both wheels and they have the same relief for the rotor.

I will try to swap by this weekend.

I ordered my 18" TST Flow Forged in Space Grey mid-October, and the winter tire option at the time was Pirelli Winter Sottozero Serie II. Now it looks like they've switched to Michelin X-Ice Xi3 instead of the Sottozero's for winter. The price for the PUP wheel/tire set looks like it dropped by $200 since my order. Anyone have experience they can share between these two tires? I'm happy with anything winter, just wondering if either set of tires is substantially better. I haven't seen much of a status update regarding shipments, but at this point I assume I'm at least a couple of weeks away from getting a shipping confirmation.