Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Model 3 Vs. Audi RS3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am starting to get a little worried about all the paint issues, as well as the huge chunk of change I'm throwing down for the P. I feel like the RS3 is the only car that can compete speed-wise that also costs less. Why would or wouldn't the RS3 be a better choice?

19 mpg in the city if you drive it like a baby you need to keep asleep. 30 or worse if you drive it like you'll drive a 3 since you just can't help yourself. I don't know the price of gas in Boston vs. electricity, but I drive my S and 3 with a lead foot without even thinking about it -- and no one hears you take off fast from a stop and turns their heads to look at you (like a cop). There's nothing like the instant torque and silence of electric. Plus, only me in the HOV. I'm never going back.

I am starting to get a little worried about all the paint issues, as well as the huge chunk of change I'm throwing down for the P. I feel like the RS3 is the only car that can compete speed-wise that also costs less. Why would or wouldn't the RS3 be a better choice?

The model 3 performance is quicker and faster than a stock RS3. If you don't care about your warranty a modded RS3 will be way faster. The RS3 has not autopilot or full self driving capability. From what I heard the RS3 is tiny on the inside.

Only you can tell .. go ahead and get the RS3 if you think so, instead of asking a bunch of strangers

The model 3 performance is quicker and faster than a stock RS3. If you don't care about your warranty a modded RS3 will be way faster. The RS3 has not autopilot or full self driving capability. From what I heard the RS3 is tiny on the inside.

It is tiny, which kept me from entertaining it previously. But it is fast, which is good. If Tesla gave me a VIN this point would be moot, but I guess I've had too much time to think about it.

As much as I love the RS’s I have to vote the Performance Model 3. There’s nothing that drives like electric and with the added performance and minimal maintenance cost, efficiency, you’ll be happy with your “more expensive” model 3 purchase.

Have you driven it yet? Try and get a test drive. Goto a Tesla show room. The sales reps will hook you up with a test drive if you really are interested in buying a performance version. (They get commission on the performance)

Reactions: dhrivnak
I owned an Audi A3 Quattro for 3 years and just sold it a month ago, as I wait for delivery of my Model 3 awd. I liked the car, but it was in the shop about 2-3 times a year for days at a time for minor repairs. Audi does give free loaner cars, but it was still a pain to deal with. The interior is a bit cramped with very little storage space, and the front cup holders are awful. They’re located directly under the climate controls, so a regular water bottle barely fits. The RS3 seems to have basically the same interior as the A3. I’d suggest taking it on an extended test drive to see how you like it. I do mostly city driving, so I got pretty poor gas mileage with my A3.

If I thought so I wouldn't have posted this thread. But actually, I was specifically asking everyone except you

Burnnnnnn

I don’t know anything about the RS3. Never considered it to be honest. After first time Tesla, it’s all Tesla’s from here on out.

You could test drive an RS3 so you have no regrets or what ifs.

Though what I can say for sure is ICE 0-60 is not like EV 0-60 even if it looks the same on paper.

More work to launch an ICE and the power curve that matters the most is the start which EVs win.

It’s already moving before the ICE wheels spin.

It’s already moving before the ICE wheels spin.
And spin they do... as in “lose traction”. The first time I floored a Model S I was amazed at how there was no noticeable wheel spin. Hard to look back, isn’t it?

Yes, you “give up” some interior prettiness. If you don’t like controlling the car from a screen then that’s a negative. But there is something to be said for minimalism.

Uhm, ICE cars have traction control too. They are not hard to launch these days. I haven't driven an RS3, but I'm sure it's a lot of fun. For one thing, it's probably more tossable than the Model 3 since it's smaller and a lot lighter. Just test drive both to make up your own mind.

BTW, since Tesla "reaction videos" are so popular: ;)

• Funny
Reactions: wesley888
Uhm, ICE cars have traction control too. They are not hard to launch these days. I haven't driven an RS3, but I'm sure it's a lot of fun. For one thing, it's probably more tossable than the Model 3 since it's smaller and a lot lighter. Just test drive both to make up your own mind.

BTW, since Tesla "reaction videos" are so popular: ;)

Sure, ICE cars have traction control. But due to their nature, the latency of the throttle feedback loop is greater than that of an EV. Granted, the computer can sense wheel spin quickly, but the ICE engine will take a relatively long time to correct. I’d like to see any ICE vehicle with plenty of power modulate the throttle as effectively as an EV.

As for tossability, I hope someone drives an RS3 and a P3D back-to-back and reports back. I haven’t driven either so I can’t speak to that.

Sure, ICE cars have traction control. But due to their nature, the latency of the throttle feedback loop is greater than that of an EV. Granted, the computer can sense wheel spin quickly, but the ICE engine will take a relatively long time to correct. I’d like to see any ICE vehicle with plenty of power modulate the throttle as effectively as an EV.
I'm not so sure there is a big difference in performance. I think traction control on EVs is certainly easier to implement (since you can directly control torque generation), but ICE cars also have many levers they can use besides just the throttle (brake force, fuel injection for individual cylinders, boost control solenoid in turbochargers etc.). Would be interesting to hear an expert opinion on that. In any case, I know from experience that it's very easy to launch modern ICE cars without losing traction.
As for tossability, I hope someone drives an RS3 and a P3D back-to-back and reports back. I haven’t driven either so I can’t speak to that.
I have driven the Model 3 (both the RWD and the AWD-P) and the BMW 240i XDrive (which, I assume, is probably similar to the RS3). Both of them were an absolute blast to drive, but in different ways. You can definitely feel the weight of the Model 3 when cornering.

I saw on twitter there will be a BMW M3 and a P3D at Laguna in a couple of weeks. I'm really eager to see how well the P3D does. The RS3 can be made to go way faster than anything, but it's really small and has manual seats. An RS5 is even more expensive than the P3D. I just hope people keep posting some track vids because if the P3D is the track monster I'm hoping it is that will seal the deal.