Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance model drop in indicated range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My indicated range for SOC 90% has dropped from 279mi when it was new (12/18) to about 262 mi. Car has 7300 mi and has software 2019.36.2.4. I started noticing the drop slowly since May. I have never supercharged since we have no supercharges in Honolulu and the entire state of Hawaii). I only charged 100% maybe 3 times and only charge up to 90%. Should I be concerned? SC said it was ok and that the car will eventually calibrate itself. Has this happened to anyone?

My range went from 251 (where it’s been since I bought my car) to 243 on 80% SOC in the past month. I have consistently charge to 80% and only charged to 100% once. I also have a M3P and have 8,400 miles on it. May have to do with the recent updates (3 in 8 weeks) or my generous use of right foot, but I commute the same way everyday and have done so for many months so I doubt it’s all driving habit. Range decay seems recent for me. I live in SOCAL so temperature is not quite Hawaii but far from blizzard country. I may charge to 100% to see if it will recalibrate range. I’m on 2019.36.2.4.

My range went from 251 (where it’s been since I bought my car) to 243 on 80% SOC in the past month. I have consistently charge to 80% and only charged to 100% once. I also have a M3P and have 8,400 miles on it. May have to do with the recent updates (3 in 8 weeks) or my generous use of right foot, but I commute the same way everyday and have done so for many months so I doubt it’s all driving habit. Range decay seems recent for me. I live in SOCAL so temperature is not quite Hawaii but far from blizzard country. I may charge to 100% to see if it will recalibrate range. I’m on 2019.36.2.4.

2 % drop not too bad. Hopefully you'll stay in that range or better after 100% charge. I am creeping up on 9.5% loss in the last 6 months. I hope doesn't get worse.

My indicated range for SOC 90% has dropped from 279mi when it was new (12/18) to about 262 mi. Car has 7300 mi and has software 2019.36.2.4. I started noticing the drop slowly since May. I have never supercharged since we have no supercharges in Honolulu and the entire state of Hawaii). I only charged 100% maybe 3 times and only charge up to 90%. Should I be concerned? SC said it was ok and that the car will eventually calibrate itself. Has this happened to anyone?
Similar situation here, I’m starting to think it’s a software thing. Probably started somewhere around when they allowed you to choose what time were on your car...

There are many threads on this same topic. General consensus seems to be that it's a software thing, not real degradation. I'm right there with you, seeing about 262-265 miles at 90%. I keep my indicator on % instead of miles and just drive the car, don't think about it much.

I read someone on Twitter yesterday saying their indicated range had started to come back up in the last couple weeks, been meaning to check mine.

Edit-just checked and I'm at 264.

Mine has started going back up. Really the only thing I have done differently is started charging to 80% instead of 90.
E08D16D7-768B-438C-B9DC-7EAB231F9E71.jpeg

You can read about others this has happened to (since you asked "has this happened to anyone" in the master thread stickied at the top of this section.

MASTER THREAD: Range Loss Over Time, What Can Be Expected, How to Maintain Battery Health