Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Model Y with 21's Needs Snow Wheels and Tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Tesla service manager told me I MUST use their wheels and tires as I look for a 2nd set of wheels and tires for Colorado winters. Is that true? In the end, I'm looking for a 3rd party Tesla focused wheel and tire dealer in Denver that I can source wheels, tires and install. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I can't wait till Dec. 1 for a 2nd set when we all know Colorado doesn't wait that long for the first real snow fall(s).

That is when Telsa will have the parts available (wheels and tires), assuming I move forward with them on the 2nd set.
That does seem late in the year for a winter tire package. Obviously, there are third party solutions available, but you need to get all the right specs plus a $300 set of TPMS sensors from Tesla.

You’re not likely to find what you want “local”. Here’s an online option.
Tesla Model Y 19" TSV Flow Forged Tesla Wheel and Tire Package (Set of - T Sportline - Tesla Model S, 3, X & Y Accessories

The Tesla service manager told me I MUST use their wheels and tires as I look for a 2nd set of wheels and tires for Colorado winters. Is that true? In the end, I'm looking for a 3rd party Tesla focused wheel and tire dealer in Denver that I can source wheels, tires and install. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I can't wait till Dec. 1 for a 2nd set when we all know Colorado doesn't wait that long for the first real snow fall(s).
Explain how Tesla can force you to use a wheel and tire package they don’t even have for sale yet.

Do people not ask follow-up questions when someone tells them something that makes zero sense?

Check out TSportline for aftermarket winter wheel/tire options. They are the only place I am aware of that also include TPMS.

• Disagree
Reactions: Hoowzer
I too am looking into getting a set of winter tires/rims. The tire rack can help me out but are admittingly having a hard time getting the Model Y TPMS. I've searched for the MY sensors and haven't had any luck. Does anyone else know where to get them? Any help would be much appreciated.

I too am looking into getting a set of winter tires/rims. The tire rack can help me out but are admittingly having a hard time getting the Model Y TPMS. I've searched for the MY sensors and haven't had any luck. Does anyone else know where to get them? Any help would be much appreciated.
Only Tesla has the Bluetooth TPMS sensors available that are used on Model Y. A set is $300.

The 21" Uberturbine wheel uses a performance (summer weather) tire (not all-season). Performance/summer tires do not perform well below 40F (rubber gets too stiff and will be slippery) and any tire warranty is likely technically voided using it below 40F. Tsportline has good options that do not require extra steps.
This is a pretty good video to give you and idea and get you started (especially mid-way through where he lists what you would need to do this yourself):

If you don't want to swap the tires yourself, you can find a smaller tire/car shop to do this for you for a fee (and many will also store the tires for you for a fee).

This is also a great detailed thread of tire considerations:
Model Y 19" vs 20" Decision Guide

Reactions: thisisdiddy
I set up a service appointment to have the TPMS delivered. Thinking that I can at least start a conversation on how to buy the sensors. Service will deliver my sensors next Monday. I'm not sure if that's how it's supposed to work. Doesn't seem efficient to me. Oh well. Now I know.