Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance not getting 310 miles promised

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you wanted range you should have kept your first model 3.
You can get 310 moles but you'll not be able to drive 70 mph.
Probably 45 will do it. And no jackrabbit starts.

Argh *sugar*, really? Loved my 1st one.... was able to go LA-Vegas easily 85mph average. But I noticed M3P even driving on parking lot the graphics spike to 900 Mh/mi .... either way I will get checked up.

Ha ha.. Common issue with new owners - especially performance car owners. Drive around 70, no quick starts, and you'll be fine. Consider chill mode.
As a data point, what is your lifetime watts/mile?

327 Mi/h for 1,033 miles driven... *sugar*... the RWD I was getting 130 Wh/Mi cruising on freeway to work... 65mph... that was the lowest I got... didn't know M3P would be 3x.

Remember that you didn't drive your LR much in the cold, so what you're seeing now is also affected by that. Cabin heat can and will cause a range hit in any Model 3.

However, the biggest culprit to the low efficiency in the performance models is the Pilot Sport 4S tires. They're incredibly inefficient because they're designed for track handling. Replace them with a set of 18" all-season tires, especially high-efficiency ones like the Michelin Primacy, and you'll get a ton of range back.

I took mine off of my P3D in early December and put on 18" T-Sportline wheels with Vredestein Quatrac 5 all-weather tires. This combo isn't even particularly efficient compared to 18" Aeros with Primacys, but I still dropped my average from 320 to 270 Wh/mi.

Hi,

Is there anyone having issues with Performance range? After 1,000 miles driven and 10,000 driven RWD, I am not getting even 200 miles I guess... while they advertise 310 miles.

Cheers!

-Dan

At your consumption rate of 327 Wh/mi, I have a few questions and maybe one thing to research. First, I know it has been "cold" in California, so are you using heat? The heater can use a few miles per hour of range, and it's most noticeable when the car is cold and you initially warm it up. But that should impact both cars pretty equally.

The P3D has a less efficient motor in the front of the car, so you're not only using more energy when driving, but you're using some of it less efficiently compared to the rear motor. There's not much you're going to do about that. Try putting the car into "Chill" mode and see what you get?

During a road trip in my P3D, in 40-50F degree weather, I was getting around 295 Wh/mi with the heat running and one seat heater on it's lowest setting. A quarter of that drive was in the rain, so I probably could have done a bit better, but this was driving 75-80 the entire time, so I think 295 is very good for what I was doing.

If you aren't accelerating hard, the heater isn't running high, the weather hasn't been very rainy, and you're driving long distances at at time rather than short drives, there's something you may want to consider having Tesla look into. There is a service bulletin they've issued for battery packs produced within a certain date range. The bulletin states that some cells may not be connected properly, leading to abnormal range. I don't know whether it would show up as high consumption, permanently missing charge, or what, but either way you might want to have them log into your car to see what's happening. They can likely do the diagnostics remotely, so it shouldn't really inconvenience you at all.

Good luck.

Remember that you didn't drive your LR much in the cold, so what you're seeing now is also affected by that. Cabin heat can and will cause a range hit in any Model 3.

However, the biggest culprit to the low efficiency in the performance models is the Pilot Sport 4S tires. They're incredibly inefficient because they're designed for track handling. Replace them with a set of 18" all-season tires, especially high-efficiency ones like the Michelin Primacy, and you'll get a ton of range back.

I took mine off of my P3D in early December and put on 18" T-Sportline wheels with Vredestein Quatrac 5 all-weather tires. This combo isn't even particularly efficient compared to 18" Aeros with Primacys, but I still dropped my average from 320 to 270 Wh/mi.

I agree with you that wheels play a big role, but the website claims 310 miles with the 20" wheels. If so they shouldn't advertise as it, that's misleading advertisement. Love Tesla, Love Elon, Love Spacex, they can take all my money for their purposes... but they got to do it the right way, otherwise you are just giving loopholes for naysayers and petrolheads.

The tires from the 18" were terrible in my opinion, I skidded a lot, drifted many times on freeways in and out. That was one of the reason I decided to trade.

Yea Cabin can be one reason, will check if is not on cold... or I will turn off for science purposes haha. Appreciate your inputs they are very constructive and will check other more efficient wheel options if "it is what it is"...

How is it holding your 18" wheels on the road? So far I like 20" wheels, it holds well, not sure if 18" will be able to hold the torque on the curves.

At your consumption rate of 327 Wh/mi, I have a few questions and maybe one thing to research. First, I know it has been "cold" in California, so are you using heat? The heater can use a few miles per hour of range, and it's most noticeable when the car is cold and you initially warm it up. But that should impact both cars pretty equally.

The P3D has a less efficient motor in the front of the car, so you're not only using more energy when driving, but you're using some of it less efficiently compared to the rear motor. There's not much you're going to do about that. Try putting the car into "Chill" mode and see what you get?

During a road trip in my P3D, in 40-50F degree weather, I was getting around 295 Wh/mi with the heat running and one seat heater on it's lowest setting. A quarter of that drive was in the rain, so I probably could have done a bit better, but this was driving 75-80 the entire time, so I think 295 is very good for what I was doing.

If you aren't accelerating hard, the heater isn't running high, the weather hasn't been very rainy, and you're driving long distances at at time rather than short drives, there's something you may want to consider having Tesla look into. There is a service bulletin they've issued for battery packs produced within a certain date range. The bulletin states that some cells may not be connected properly, leading to abnormal range. I don't know whether it would show up as high consumption, permanently missing charge, or what, but either way you might want to have them log into your car to see what's happening. They can likely do the diagnostics remotely, so it shouldn't really inconvenience you at all.

Good luck.

Yea I didn't pay attention if was getting heater on, but AC was set to 68 ... I will turn off this next days while I do more tests. Will do various tests, Chilli mode will be one of them, thanks for hint!

Appreciate you sharing your experience and numbers, will check with those on mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.