Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance not getting 310 miles promised

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Another data point.

For my Model 3 Performance with 20 inch wheels (no modifications--as delivered by Tesla) , I have averaged 246 Wh/mi (or equivalently 305 mile range) over the life of the car (~3900 mi). Driving consists of typical Los Angeles area commute from Orange County to LAX. Morning commutes are ~65-70mph. Evening commutes ~30mph. 28 miles each way. Tire pressure maintained 40-42 psi. AC set to 71F in auto mode.

IMG_3763.JPG

I just followed my wife home from the movies. I now realize how much differently I drive the Model 3 than previous cars.
I usually struggle to stay below 300 but last I looked it was about 250. It is in the mid 50's F and I have the regen dots to the D so there may be some battery heating going on.
I recently bumped my tire pressure to 45 cold. That helps some.

Another data point.

For my Model 3 Performance with 20 inch wheels (no modifications--as delivered by Tesla) , I have averaged 246 Wh/mi (or equivalently 305 mile range) over the life of the car (~3900 mi). Driving consists of typical Los Angeles area commute from Orange County to LAX. Morning commutes are ~65-70mph. Evening commutes ~30mph. 28 miles each way. Tire pressure maintained 40-42 psi. AC set to 71F in auto mode.

View attachment 369115

Nice and flat, with lots of aero help! Ideal! Drafting, even at safe following distances, is very beneficial for efficient vehicles.

The San Diego mesas are a real killer.

Here in the NY Metro area it has been quite cold lately. I am new to my M3P (12/28/18 delivery), but not new to EV driving as I have had both a 2012 and 2016 Volt. How you drive is so vital to these cars. In my 2016 Volt I have gotten as much as 70 miles on one charge. My wife driving the same car in roughly the same conditions will get 50. She's just a more aggressive driver than I am -- accelerates more rapidly, stops shorter and really doesn't care about range -- and in a Volt you really don't have to.

My early experience with the M3P is that I use anywhere from around 240 Wh/mi to 360 Wh/mi -- all depending on driving style, speed and climate conditions / topography. I am certain that in the Spring and Fall (with little or no need for climate control) I will easily get down into the low 200's...but all of this is besides the point as ultimate range is NOT why I bought the M3P. My decision to go with the M3P was because of its completely unique BALANCE of range/efficiency with stunning performance.

I have always wanted my daily driver to be efficient and the list of cars I have owned for this purpose is like a who's who of the genre -- Honda Civic VX, Prius (Gen 1), Prius (Gen 2), 2012 Volt, 2016 Volt. BUT I have also always also loved cars that perform and suffering through the Gen 1 Prius -- as innovative a car as it was at the time -- was sometimes a real challenge. Over the years my performance cars have included several Alfas, BMW 3-series (when they still were actually driver's cars), an Audi S4 and two Ferraris (360 and 430).

Minus the roar and getting 12 mpg, the M3P is literally like the synthesis of everything I loved about my Ferrari 430 along WITH the 2016 Volt and THAT is what I believe this car is all about. If I wanted exclusively range? The RWD, for certain...

One last completely off-topic rant...the fact that GM could not make a smashing success of the Gen 2 Volt is proof positive that they are completely inept when it comes to marketing. As an everyday driver with a large enough battery to cover the amount the average American drives every day as a pure EV coupled with an "unlimited range" for long trips (owing to the onboard ICE), if positioned properly it should have been the perfect transition vehicle to get us to the day when we live in an all EV world...

• Informative
Reactions: RubberToe
I've had LR RWD model 3 for a year and for 12K miles, it takes .259 Kw average per mile and I've had a pretty heavy foot for it. Only had my performance M3 for a month so 360 miles of data pretty small but its .414 Kw average. Granted its only been used in cold season but I was surprised by this number.

Just did an out and back 35 mile route (25% town / 75% highway) with wet roads and 33 degree temps (heat set at 68 degrees), so clearly not ideal, and averaged 298 Wh/mile...

Another data point.

View attachment 369115
Very impressive, I'm at 249 lifetime over 16k miles in a RWD LR so I don't know how you managed that, you must be very conservative with your right foot I'm guessing.

Another data point.

View attachment 369115

Thanks that’s very informative. costa Mesa technical assistant is emailing back and forth and no issues for now. He did stated that’s a 250 wh/mi car, i am getting 323 lifetime 3,000 miles now. My concern is not range of performance etc yes i got it for the performance but also was lured by 310 miles epa same as my previous M3 Rwd LR.

My other issue now is I can’t charge to 100%!!! It stops at 99% either at home or SC stations. My previous was easy to set 100% and would be 100% next morning.

Has anyone had this issue?

Tried resetting BMS same issue ...

Very impressive, I'm at 249 lifetime over 16k miles in a RWD LR so I don't know how you managed that, you must be very conservative with your right foot I'm guessing.

It is impressive, but I think the explanation is that the car is getting a LOT of aero help, and has a flat commute. Probably drives reasonably conservatively. It would not be possible to get this efficiency on a typical road trip on California/Nevada/Arizona freeways, so it doesn’t imply that the vehicle has a ~300 mile range.

@Perry -Unless its your intention to mislead people you should also show them the wh/mi of the drive. From your previous posts, you are one of the hardest street drivers I have met. 500-700 wh/mi is how you get this range lol. I am pretty sure you know this, but your lack of mentioning it here misleads others.
OK fair enough here is my wh/mi with heater and AC off. Total car's range 60 miles.
2019.01.22 18.10.40.jpg

Another data point.

The reason you get that are a few reasons. 65-70 mph, the slow 30mph commute home, and no heat.

People routinely drive 80 mph (with a limit of 65) and are “staying with the traffic” and don’t consider that as speeding or driving “to fast”.

So if you used even a modest amount of heat or drive speeds a lot of folks do you’d take a 50-100 wh/mi hit. Which is large. Where in an ICE, heat is no hit and the “too fast” might cost a lot less.

One other issue is the units we use on EV. We use watts/mi instead of mpg. And we talk about range a lot. We all know why. We all know driving faster cost more fuel. An ICE might drop from say 26 mpg at 65 mph to 22 mpg doing 80. Well that might drop your range from 400 miles to 300. That’s huge. But it’s never talked about.

And we know why it’s not talked about. In ICE you can hit a refuel stop for 10 minutes and within say 10 miles of you being “empty”. Where a SC is within 100 miles for 40 minutes. So range matters more and you have less range to begin with.

Last edited:
I believe the EPA rating they base the 310 on was for the old Performance model without the PUP. Now that they don’t sell it without the PUP, they should update with a new rating. It will most likely be much closer to the MR model, probably 265 or 270. Wheels and tires make a substantial difference.

I believe the EPA rating they base the 310 on was for the old Performance model without the PUP. Now that they don’t sell it without the PUP, they should update with a new rating. It will most likely be much closer to the MR model, probably 265 or 270. Wheels and tires make a substantial difference.

EPA doesn't test the performance model. Model variations that are less than 30% of total vehicle volume are not separately tested.

Reactions: mswlogo
Another data point.

View attachment 369115
41 tire pressure is low

Reactions: mswlogo
1 PSI low? Irrelevant.

Everything matters on EV

I got 200 wh/mi every single day last week on my short commute to work. Heat off. And it was around 35 every day. Essentially no traffic and no lights. 10 mile round trip.

Today, same deal. But I had two small dogs. 50 lbs total. My Wh/mi was 236 wh/mi.

I realize this was just one data sample but it was incredibly consistent last week.

50 lbs can make that much difference, I bet 1 lb in the tires can. His comment was to someone that said 40-42 which is significant. And wonder if that was cold pressure or not. That would be very low if that was not cold.

When I state cold, it’s EXACT. 42 lbs on the button at around 40F COLD. They run around 45 psi when warm.

Status
Not open for further replies.