Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance not getting 310 miles promised

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's not what I said. I said the round trip from accelerating then decelerating with regen wastes energy. That is a fact; I have not been misinformed.

It doesn't waste it, it coverts it to, albeit small, additional range and provides breaking that greatly reduces break wear. Nothing about that seems wasteful to me.

If what you are saying is that you don't get back what you put in, then you are correct. But you get way more back than not using it at all.

It's possible that I'm misunderstanding you in some way and if so, I apologize.

My only concern is that it looks like they retrofitted a Mid Range and tried to convert to Performance... is the battery the only thing different? I'm concerned about motor as it shown some issues 2 times when front motor was temporarily disabled.

There are other differences, the standard/standard plus do not have the sub-woofer or the larger brakes either and there are the obvious software differences as well as the P3D being all wheel drive.

Let them know you want proof that the car is feature complete. And make sure they are aware of the front motor issues.

It's more likely that an incorrect build sku was entered during manufacturing. Tesla's been messing with them so much that it's not a surprise that something like this has happened. But they will make things right, and unless there is some weird software lock on the battery, your going to get a new one, so that's a plus. (Tesla iterates so the packs change slightly fairly often)

Hey and don't be afraid to ask for something for your trouble. ;) Tesla will often surprise you with this regard.
Let them know your confidence is shaken and tell them the steps you've taken to get to where you are now.

Since some are quoting the miles on the screen as actual range, it's worth pointing out that the Miles Remaining figure assumes very unrealistic consumption for the P3D.

Actual 100% miles will be closer to 240-260 under most conditions. I once drove 199 miles from Houston to Austin starting at 100% and arrived with only 8 miles remaining.

Just want to make sure I am not crazy... but 46kwh divided by 0.75 is 61.33 kwh ... close enough of 62 kwh battery and NOT the 75kwh I
bought it.
Also does it show anywhere the car is Performance? Or just the red line under Dual Motor and the Red Brake calipers show it's a Performance?

Appreciate everyone input so far.

IMG_6967.JPG
IMG_6965.JPG
IMG_6964.JPG

but this one.. at 76.5 miles driven... shows 20 kwh spent... and 70% charge left.. which means 66.67 kwh battery.... Either way it is off, how come some folks can get 270 in sport mode? roughly.. I am getting 238-256 miles in Chill mode, and probably 200-220 on sport mode.
IMG_6952.JPG

Since some are quoting the miles on the screen as actual range, it's worth pointing out that the Miles Remaining figure assumes very unrealistic consumption for the P3D.

Actual 100% miles will be closer to 240-260 under most conditions. I once drove 199 miles from Houston to Austin starting at 100% and arrived with only 8 miles remaining.

Thanks for your input, but would say my numbers are all right? I mean what I can only see NOT COUNTING efficiency is the actual measure of how many Kwh I've used.. and how many % is left... I made the mistake if only tracking miles on the Green bar for 12,000 miles, now using as % and doing reverse simple math, it came that my battery capacity range from 61.9 kwh to 66 kwh... far from 75 kwh of Long Range models.

Something got be off, Tesla only check and test battery voltage , they are not able to check the actual battery capacity? For sure voltage will be same for any range battery... the difference is on the capacity 50, 62 and 75 kwh.

Anyone know a third party company that can check that in Southern CA?

Thanks!

I think you're taking that % indicator way too seriously... there's no way to actually know the % charge of a Lith-Ion battery. It's an estimate based on voltage behavior while charging.

The only way to REALLY know precisely how much energy can be drawn from a lithium ion battery is to actually drain it to whatever your voltage cut-off is, and track what you've drawn along the way.

Everything else is an estimate. Your car is estimating the battery based on observations. Sometimes your % can actually go UP while the car sits parked. I've seen it go up 3-5%. Sometimes the % can drop more than you expect, because the battery is basically saying "yeah, what I told you earlier, that was wrong."

Anyway, the % is an estimate. The consumed wh/mile is a lot more trustworthy.

wh/mi is more an efficiency measure based on 2 facts, miles driven and power consumed... shouldn't kwh be the main one? if the car is 75kwh... why I am driving 45kwh and battery shows 30% left? You divide 45 by 0.70 it gives 62 kwh result approximately.

Just want to make sure I am not crazy... but 46kwh divided by 0.75 is 61.33 kwh ... close enough of 62 kwh battery and NOT the 75kwh I
bought it.
Also does it show anywhere the car is Performance? Or just the red line under Dual Motor and the Red Brake calipers show it's a Performance?

Appreciate everyone input so far.

View attachment 441147 View attachment 441148 View attachment 441149

That seems spot on to me. As for the badging, it's just the red line under Dual Motor and the red brakes. Oh and I believe it comes with a spoiler.

Reactions: Dan_LA
Dude found the problem... I have the wromg battery hahaha 62kwh... not the 75kwh. And I did ordered Long Range. Someone screwed up badly.
Chill doesn't impact your range that much TBH and I never turn it on. Its more to protect drivers who don't understand the power behind the car from going too fast too quickly.

Here's my typical route, I run autopilot most of the way adjusting between 65-75 mph most of the time. I'll accelerate as much as 80-90 mph at times but the average is pretty bad due to traffic. Typically 40-50 minutes for a 30 mile commute averaging 40-50 mph with a couple of stretches at 70-80.

View attachment 440178
View attachment 440179

From ur numbers I can tell ur battery is 72kwh about... mine is 62kwh on a Performance! Probably the only one. Either a frankstein from a Mid Range or someone screwed up at factory.

I watched it, he's at 80-90kph most of the time. Thats less than 60mph.

Speed limits here are 65, 75, 80. Driving around at 50-60mph will be dangerous but it is good to know you can limp out those miles if needed.

I don’t think speed matters in how many kwh you can pull from your battery. Speed only affects efficiency, how fast or slow you are pulling energy of the battery. The amount of energy spent should be same at 75kwh approximately which was Bjorn intention to show it. I probably should have done that on January but them again many people were saying my previous experience was on summer with a LR RWD range beast. So I thought maybe the consumption doesn’t include weather vampire drain? It doesn’t matter, it’s not right 200-220 range on ANY LONG RAnge model.

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
Status
Not open for further replies.