Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance not getting 310 miles promised

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ha ha.. Common issue with new owners - especially performance car owners. Drive around 70, no quick starts, and you'll be fine. Consider chill mode.

That is not enough to get 310 mile range, i've tried many times.

I'm one of those people who thinks its crazy that they rated the LR RWD, AWD and Performance cars all with 310 mile range when that is absolutely not true. If they have labeled these three cars as having a 75 kWh battery like Model S i would have zero complaints, but they chose not to and instead use miles. If they're going to do this, they need to be accurate.

I was pretty surprised to see they updated the Mid Range to 264 miles from 260 yet didn't adjust the Performance car to be more realistic with what people are actually seeing, especially since the 20" wheels are standard on Performance cars now.

That is an EXCEPTIONALLY efficient number for LR RWD, way better than most people experience in those conditions. 235 Wh/mi equals 310 miles. So you were getting over 400 a charge? Do you drive downhill both ways?

Thats one data point, lets not let the accuracy of the statement distract us from the idea we are trying to convey - Performance car is much less efficient than RWD yet were advertised with the same range.

The tires from the 18" were terrible in my opinion, I skidded a lot, drifted many times on freeways in and out. That was one of the reason I decided to trade.

Yea Cabin can be one reason, will check if is not on cold... or I will turn off for science purposes haha. Appreciate your inputs they are very constructive and will check other more efficient wheel options if "it is what it is"...

How is it holding your 18" wheels on the road? So far I like 20" wheels, it holds well, not sure if 18" will be able to hold the torque on the curves.
If 18 inch wheels won’t hold your Model 3 to the road, I think you’re driving style is the reason you’re getting such poor range.

Are you new to car buying? No car (not even gasoline car) can achieve their advertised performance specs, they are all exaggerated in some shape or form, 0-60 mph time, top speed, mpg fuel efficiency, 1/4 mile time, you name it.
That's not my experience. All cars for the last 20 years I drove met or exceeded EPA ratings on highway. I can not say the same for SUVs or Vans.

My last car which M3 replaced is BMW 328i (E90) rated at 28mpg on highway, and I never got less than 30 even when driven hard. Normally it gave anywhere between 32-36mpg on long drives. Check Consumer reports, last BMW they tested gave 40MPG(probably it may not give 40 for us as we drive faster).

Are you new to car buying? No car (not even gasoline car) can achieve their advertised performance specs, they are all exaggerated in some shape or form, 0-60 mph time, top speed, mpg fuel efficiency, 1/4 mile time, you name it.

In the case of electric car, you can blame the government's EPA testing procedure, not Tesla. The EPA standard is actually the most conservative and most "accurate" compare to even the European standard.

Then why does the RWD easily beat EPA estimates when Performance absolutely can't? It's not about EPA ratings vs real world, it's about the fact that 3x cars with VERY different real world efficiencies are given the same exact range number by Tesla.

The EPA ratings are accurate. The LR RWD is higher but the numbers were adjusted down to match the other models. The only thing on the performance that will make it worse than the AWD is the tires. The issue most that are new to an EV do not understand is wind resistance, and pack temp. Over 60 each 5 MPH is exponentially higher consumption. Dropping to 65 helps and head winds of 10 MPH means 65 is now 75. Cold pack? Ding. Using the heater? Ding. In the summer I see not reason to not get the EPA ratings in moderate climates. I just drove 1K miles at 65-80 and with some heat and in 40 degree temps and got about 260 easy miles on my AWD LR. I did have a warm pack and not headwind. Temp of the pack will play a big role as well as over 65 MPH. In fact over 70 you in an S and you are just going to waste time at the supercharger making up loss, You either slow down or charge longer, net is the same ETA to the destination except on the final leg of the trip. On my S I would routinely exceed the EPA ratings on a long trip in the summer driving 70.

agree! crazy that they rated them all the same. i firmly believe you can drive the cars identically and you cannot get the same range.

That is not enough to get 310 mile range, i've tried many times.

I'm one of those people who thinks its crazy that they rated the LR RWD, AWD and Performance cars all with 310 mile range when that is absolutely not true. If they have labeled these three cars as having a 75 kWh battery like Model S i would have zero complaints, but they chose not to and instead use miles. If they're going to do this, they need to be accurate.

I was pretty surprised to see they updated the Mid Range to 264 miles from 260 yet didn't adjust the Performance car to be more realistic with what people are actually seeing, especially since the 20" wheels are standard on Performance cars now.

That's not my experience. All cars for the last 20 years I drove met or exceeded EPA ratings on highway. I can not say the same for SUVs or Vans.

My last car which M3 replaced is BMW 328i (E90) rated at 28mpg on highway, and I never got less than 30 even when driven hard. Normally it gave anywhere between 32-36mpg on long drives. Check Consumer reports, last BMW they tested gave 40MPG(probably it may not give 40 for us as we drive faster).
My old tacoma beat it by a long shot my new one is HORRIBLE at slower speeds and suck gas like a beast and has less power. My MINI was like a V8 on gas and FAR less than the EPA rating. IN the city most cars are far worse,

When Tesla had all three versions tested by/per the EPA, they wanted all to be rated the same. So they asked the EPA to rate them all to the Performance. So a little misleading but the EPA allows that. Several on this board have stated that they are capable of getting ~300 Wh/mi. With 75 kWh that is a range of 248 mi. Similar to what you recounted on your trip from Ontario to Las Vegas.

The EPA ratings are accurate. The LR RWD is higher but the numbers were adjusted down to match the other models.

That sentence contradicts itself tho :D

The only thing on the performance that will make it worse than the AWD is the tires.

Not true, they have different power output curves and probably different motors as well (there's a whole thread on THAT topic...)

Reactions: Dan_LA
agree! crazy that they rated them all the same. i firmly believe you can drive the cars identically and you cannot get the same range.

You won't and this is because of the PM motor in the back and induction in the front, the AWD S was better than the RWD because the front induction was smaller. It makes perfect sense how they rated them for marketing. They all can make the EPA rating but the RWD gets a bonus as it is derated. Simple.

It makes perfect sense how they rated them for marketing. They all can make the EPA rating but the RWD gets a bonus as it is derated. Simple.

Then why don't other companies do this? Here's the Mustang comparison for example, almost every single trim gets it's own EPA estimates.

I, for one, would prefer they use estimates that are as accurate as possible and not simply set the number to alleviate some people's unwarranted range anxiety.

upload_2019-1-3_19-0-49.png

Reactions: Dan_LA
That sentence contradicts itself tho :D

Not true, they have different power output curves and probably different motors as well (there's a whole thread on THAT topic...)

Wrong, they are identical. I know this as a first hand fact. Yes one has more power via software (not hardware) but that does NOT change it's efficiency as the inverters are the same and the motors are the same. Driven the same speeds and acceleration they will have the same range if using the same tires.

Then why don't other companies do this? Here's the Mustang comparison for example, almost every single trim gets it's own EPA estimates.

I, for one, would prefer they use estimates that are as accurate as possible and not simply set the number to alleviate some people's unwarranted range anxiety.

View attachment 365861

Short answer they are not EVs and they are all different. The cars all meet the EPA ratings so it is irrelevant.

I agree with you that wheels play a big role, but the website claims 310 miles with the 20" wheels. If so they shouldn't advertise as it, that's misleading advertisement. Love Tesla, Love Elon, Love Spacex, they can take all my money for their purposes... but they got to do it the right way, otherwise you are just giving loopholes for naysayers and petrolheads.

The tires from the 18" were terrible in my opinion, I skidded a lot, drifted many times on freeways in and out. That was one of the reason I decided to trade.

Yea Cabin can be one reason, will check if is not on cold... or I will turn off for science purposes haha. Appreciate your inputs they are very constructive and will check other more efficient wheel options if "it is what it is"...

How is it holding your 18" wheels on the road? So far I like 20" wheels, it holds well, not sure if 18" will be able to hold the torque on the curves.
Your thinking of the ratings. EPA rating of 310 is just that, and EPA rating!

The LR RWD @ 310 was under-rated, but that does not mean the P3D is over rated. The RWD LR Model 3 was a range monster!
Why Did Tesla Ask US EPA To Downgrade Model 3 Range Rating To 310 Miles (From 334 Miles)? Was It Due To Expected Power Draw Of Autonomous Driving System? | CleanTechnica

Oh, I also I have not had any real traction related issues with 18's on my P3D I'm sure 20's would sticky tires would have some advantage on the track though.

Status
Not open for further replies.