Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance not getting 310 miles promised

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, just told wife that would be adventurous and worst can happen is to have stories to tell. Appreciate your input here and you are right I will probably stop at tejon, since it has more stalls.

Having said that, I don’t have tires kit in my car, what should we do in the event of flat tire? All my cars had spare tires before.. call Tesla Roadside assistance?
This has definitely steered off topic, but @GolanB has provided great advice. I have a plug kit and 12V inflator in my frunk along with a few other emergency items.

Tejon Ranch takes another few seconds to get to but has more amenities. The number of stalls doesn't matter as much as the number that are open at the time, which you can of course see on the display. Bakersfield is easy to get in/out but there's not much there. Tejon is a historical station, as it was one of the original five that opened in Sep 2012. It has since been upgraded many times.

Again, this kind of trip planning is off-topic for this thread, but don't forget to reset a trip meter before your trip starts and let us know what kind of energy consumption you see. You'll be in a fair amount of traffic getting out of LA so I think you'll be surprised at how much margin you have. Until you feel comfortable with the car, I recommend spending a few extra minutes charging than you think necessary. If you feel uncomfortable, just remember you can slow down and increase your range. Going slower than the flow of traffic is also dangerous so please don't go slower than the trucks and cause them to pass you! Ok, need to get off my soapbox. Good luck and have fun!

Reactions: Dan_LA and GolanB
Having said that, I don’t have tires kit in my car, what should we do in the event of flat tire? All my cars had spare tires before.. call Tesla Roadside assistance?

I have the following tire-patch tools in all my cars:
  1. Dynaplug for patching nail holes: https://www.amazon.com/Dynaplug-Ult...s=Dynaplug&qid=1558718630&s=automotive&sr=1-5
  2. Portable tire sealant integrated with the compressor for refilling the tire after hole has been patched. Mine is by Conti, but this is similar: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003RNWOAQ/ref=psdc_15706711_t3_B000YMP1SA
Fixing your puncture and resuming the trip in 10-20 minutes sure beats waiting for AAA/Tesla repair truck to show up, which can take hours, depending on the location.

YMMV,
a

the Superchargers may be...busy. No experience with this.
No one does. Each year/season is different as the number of Superchargers and number of Tesla's is constantly changing. The surge of Model 3 sales in the last year has definitely changed the dynamic in CA. I wonder if Kettleman will actually see all 40 stalls in use this weekend. I think that has only happened once before but it was only because a Tesla group drive made it their destination.

For new EV-trippers like @Dan_LA remember that your trip predictions will change when you break out of traffic. It may say you're fine to get to the destination if you idling in 50 mph traffic but you may not be able to make the next charging stop if the speeds pick up. Your trip graph is your friend and is a key thing to avoid range anxiety on Tesla road trips.

No one does. Each year/season is different as the number of Superchargers and number of Tesla's is constantly changing. The surge of Model 3 sales in the last year has definitely changed the dynamic in CA. I wonder if Kettleman will actually see all 40 stalls in use this weekend. I think that has only happened once before but it was only because a Tesla group drive made it their destination.

For new EV-trippers like @Dan_LA remember that your trip predictions will change when you break out of traffic. It may say you're fine to get to the destination if you idling in 50 mph traffic but you may not be able to make the next charging stop if the speeds pick up. Your trip graph is your friend and is a key thing to avoid range anxiety on Tesla road trips.

That’s why I’m leaving earlier noon, planning to try to leave at 1pm at most. Nonetheless I can aways stop a station before to be safe and quick charge 20-30min... will see.

But I have to agree, 400miles true range is the optimal, and if that car cost $35k... will kill ICE. This combined with faster charging.

Well me and my family will be the guinea pig for this current, added to Elon announcing higher sales and more Free Unlimited Supercharging.. argh..

Hmm. Just realized it is Memorial Day weekend so all the Superchargers may be...busy. No experience with this. Something to consider. Aside from that I do think you should take your car to understand what the true range is (I feel 250 miles is kind of a rule of thumb “max comfortable” range (with no uphill)).

I think we may have just found out what Tesla is doing to reduce busy Superchargers:

Tesla starts limiting charge to 80% at busy Superchargers to reduce wait times - Electrek

Just arrived from trip and it all went very smooth. I will reply details later on.

As for the 80% limit charge on busy Superchargers I had that warning on the App on a SC Station near Monterey with 5 cars charging out of 16 stalls available (+-).. I just swiped back to 98% and went shopping haha. It fully charged nonetheless, they are not blocking people, yet.

• Informative
Reactions: SammichLover
Just arrived from trip and it all went very smooth. I will reply details later on.

As for the 80% limit charge on busy Superchargers I had that warning on the App on a SC Station near Monterey with 5 cars charging out of 16 stalls available (+-).. I just swiped back to 98% and went shopping haha. It fully charged nonetheless, they are not blocking people, yet.

Great, glad everything went smoothly. Look forward to hearing how you did on your efficiency, and whether you have more confidence in what your true range is now, though with the rain, it might have been impacted a bit.

Sounds pretty reasonable. How did you calculate the “equivalent of 274 miles”? I assume just your rated miles use relative to distance traveled? Did you happen to note your round-trip Wh/mi? (I would guess ~262Wh/mi.)

I got 236 miles on an 86% charge. A quick calculation indicates 274 miles if I'd started with 100%. Can't remember the exact Wh/mi but it was close to 270.

I got 236 miles on an 86% charge. A quick calculation indicates 274 miles if I'd started with 100%. Can't remember the exact Wh/mi but it was close to 270.

That's pretty good. I would expect about 265Wh/mi for that result. Coincidentally that's right where I am at for the last 450 miles of mostly super-conservative, hyper-miling driving (though I did not moderate speed so perhaps I shouldn't call it hyper-miling).

My impression is that with the P3D+ in absolutely optimal conditions (about 35mph), 230Wh/mi is about the absolute best you can do - but this is definitely not achievable on the freeway.

That's pretty good. I would expect about 265Wh/mi for that result. Coincidentally that's right where I am at for the last 450 miles of mostly super-conservative, hyper-miling driving (though I did not moderate speed so perhaps I shouldn't call it hyper-miling).

My impression is that with the P3D+ in absolutely optimal conditions (about 35mph), 230Wh/mi is about the absolute best you can do - but this is definitely not achievable on the freeway.
You're at sea level. Elevation is going to be a real factor, on top of air temperate. I haven't gotten all the numbers together from my Custer run, and I don't run Teslafi or such, but the straight physics math of the matter is you should see something approaching 10% improvement in efficiency at 1000m elevation vs sea level. Temperature and weather factors being equal, air destiny drops a little over 10% at 1000m. That's pretty substantial, and really only diluted by the base rolling resistance of the vehicle and on average lower temps found at higher elevations.

So on a warm day in the middle of Nebraska that'll translate to maybe 20wh/mi difference. Suddenly 270wH/mi becomes 250, or in my case 250-ish became sub-230.

Last edited:
You're at sea level. Elevation is going to be a real factor, on top of air temperate. I haven't gotten all the numbers together from my Custer run, and I don't run Teslafi or such, but the straight physics math of the matter is you should see something approaching 10% improvement in efficiency at 1000m elevation vs sea level. Temperature and weather factors being equal, air destiny drops a little over 10% at 1000m. That's pretty substantial, and really only diluted by the base rolling resistance of the vehicle and on average lower temps found at higher elevations.

So on a warm day in the middle of Nebraska that'll translate to maybe 20wh/mi difference. Suddenly 270wH/mi becomes 250, or in my case 250-ish became sub-230.

This is absolutely true, for freeway runs. Something to keep in mind for people reporting efficiency. Sounds like you got some good data on your road trip.

That being said, for the optimal case (about 230Wh/mi), the speeds are not such that the altitude would make much difference.

Did you really get on a round trip less than 230Wh/mi at freeway speeds (with PS4S)? That would be a bit surprising to me, even at ~3000 feet or whatever. It'll be interesting to see how you did on your latest trip. Though, as mentioned above, wind is a huge factor as well.

When I said "optimal conditions", I did mean at sea level, and without a tailwind. Though obviously not being at sea level and having a tailwind would be more optimal. I guess I should have said "standard conditions".

Last edited:
Did you really get on a round trip less than 230Wh/mi at freeway speeds (with PS4S)?
Yes (but didn't drive it "round trip", because that's not where I was going :p).

Under what amounts to effectively optimal conditions near 1000m elevation, net-level elevation across mostly flat land passing through some erosion gullies (check out North/South path on a Kansas-Nebraska map just West of the middle), approximately 25C, at night so with only fan running on HVAC, no discernible wind, no precipitation, absolute straight line, AP set to 70mph, and I was getting roughly 225Wh/mi. That's with the Aeros rims.

That includes starting from 0mph, so cheating with starting out having kinetic energy onboard.

<edit> On, and no drafting behind anyone either. This was a secondary highway out of Cornchute, Kansas in the middle of the night. No traffic, coming or going, to interfere.

Last edited:
Under optimal conditions, near 1000m elevation, net-level elevation across mostly flat land passing through some erosion gullies (check out North/South path on a Kansas-Nebraska map just West of the middle), at night with only fan running on HVAC, approximately 25C, no discernible wind, no precipitation, absolute straight line, AP set to 70mph, and I was getting roughly 225Wh/mi. That's with the Aeros.

Seems like that would check out. The aeros help some, the elevation helps some, and also the actual section width of those 18" PS4S are I think a little narrower than the stock 20" PS4S, even with both at a nominal 235 width (I haven't checked but that is the case for the three types of 20" PS4S available on Tirerack - the Tesla variant is the widest by about 0.4 inch or something, so 5%). And the compound may also be slightly different on the Tesla version, not necessarily resulting in better efficiency (I have no idea one way or the other).

And the compound may also be slightly different on the Tesla version, not necessarily resulting in better efficiency
That's probably in the opposite direction if anything, that Tesla had specific RR improvements to the compound.

The Aeros should have subtracted about 10-15Wh/mi, the elevation another 20-25. At sea level you'd see probably 255-265Wh/mi. At 70mph cruising. Which is blow out awesome (and of course nothing like the EPA testing).

That's probably in the opposite direction if anything, that Tesla had specific RR improvements to the compound.

The Aeros should have subtracted about 10-15Wh/mi, the elevation another 20-25. At sea level you'd see probably 255-265Wh/mi. At 70mph cruising. Which is blow out awesome (and of course nothing like the EPA testing).

I checked, it is 7.6" tread width for 235/45R18 PS4S and 8.8" for the 235/35R20 PS4S (Tesla version).

Status
Not open for further replies.