Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance not performing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If Tesla thought existing P batteries were going to fail during warrantee they would be changing the software on the existing cars as well and we will be hearing complaints from existing owners in about 2 months time.

Not necessarily at all.

Existing owners have an expectation on how their car drives. It's too late to significantly change the driving performance on existing cars out in the wild. That would cause a Law Action. People don't want what they already have downgraded. Once their car is outside Warranty, Tesla won't care. Tough. Things will have moved on a LOT by that time anyways.

However, making a step change model now with a new config variant sets the trend from day one. If people even notice, they're more likely to just refund or keep the consumer damage limited while they work it through.

Heat Pump models signify a step change. Maybe that was their time to try a different setup.

Have any UK owners actually noticed this massive performance drop in UK WINTER time?

Or are you all just arguing over an extreme weather YouTuber with an App?? vs. Tesla Engineers who build and design these things??

Yes. I'm sure there is a thread about it somewhere.
Oh hang on its this one!
Just goes to show PITA hasn't gone back and read the thread despite it being suggested that they did, funny how they are so disparaging about other people yet are jumping in both feet to say its not a problem.

Does that mean I have to go back and read all 14 pages... jeeze
It would be a lot less if you hadn't posted so much rubbish along the way

View attachment 655636
These are some interesting numbers.

You can see on a 2019 Performance - without heat pump - battery temps are stable at 28c, there is a marginal power drop from 60% SoC which doesn't really affect 0-100kmh times until a very low SoC, 10%. So no problem here.

Now look at the 2021 LR and P figures. Battery temp fall on the LR causes a moderate max power drop as the SoC decreases, but this does not affect acceleration too much (say 0.5sec), until a very low SoC, 10% it is 6 secs which is probably still acceptable.

Now for the killer. The 2021 P. As the battery temp falls the max power delivered drops off considerably.
At 40% SoC, the LR is actually producing the same power and 0-100 as the P.

At 30% SoC, the gap really opens up, with the P power down by HALF and producing LESS power than an LR.
At 20%, the P is limping along with a 9 sec 0-100.

Whilst these figures are much better than what the OP is reporting, it is clear that the P has some performance issues at lower SoC combined with cold battery temps.
Weird that there's no 2020s or 2018s in that list. I've got a 2018 I guess I should measure and contribute.

Just goes to show PITA hasn't gone back and read the thread despite it being suggested that they did, funny how they are so disparaging about other people yet are jumping in both feet to say its not a problem.

It would be a lot less if you hadn't posted so much rubbish along the way

Now who likes the sound of his own voice. 😁😁

Well, as I'm a 2021 Performance owner lets see what happens during this Winter. They'll be no hiding from it.

Proof is in the eating... 😄😁

We should close the loop on this cause Bjorn just updated the trial runs 3 days ago

2021P is faster than LR now, as well as the 2019P (which previously was faster) as it should be at all SOC and weather (even down to 10% SOC for a P vs 90% SOC for an LR)…he doesn’t have LR with AB in his excel table and not sure if he tested one but would make sense that P is still faster down to any SOC

I watched the video and I think he’s missed part of the point completely (or deliberately). The issue was cold batteries at low states of charge, all his video has done has shown that the heat pump doesn’t cool the battery as much as it did, he hasn’t tested how a cold battery, first thing in the morning, at say 50% state of charge would perform.

He also needs to look at range as the whole point of the heat pump was to improve efficiency and to all intents and purposes it looks like the heat pump now does very little as the batteries, one of the primary sources of heat for the cabin in the cold, don’t seem to be having any heat taken out of them. I imagine owners would sacrifice a bit of efficiency over a large loss of performance, but nobody knows what the implications of the change is. It’s one of my pet annoyances of reviews like this, they appear to be scientific with hard numbers but they raise more questions than they answer.

I watched the video and I think he’s missed part of the point completely (or deliberately). The issue was cold batteries at low states of charge, all his video has done has shown that the heat pump doesn’t cool the battery as much as it did, he hasn’t tested how a cold battery, first thing in the morning, at say 50% state of charge would perform.

He also needs to look at range as the whole point of the heat pump was to improve efficiency and to all intents and purposes it looks like the heat pump now does very little as the batteries, one of the primary sources of heat for the cabin in the cold, don’t seem to be having any heat taken out of them. I imagine owners would sacrifice a bit of efficiency over a large loss of performance, but nobody knows what the implications of the change is. It’s one of my pet annoyances of reviews like this, they appear to be scientific with hard numbers but they raise more questions than they answer.

As I've said before, chill mode should be for economy sport for performance
It can't be that hard to code the octovalve unless it's physical design precludes the correct configuration

What a muddle that article is! Claiming it will be higher density than LFP!
CATL manufacture LFP batteries. Their newly developed battery (codenamed the M3P) has higher density than their existing LFP battery for around the same price.

There is no muddle with the article, only people reading M3P as something to do with Tesla when it doesn't.

Their newly developed battery (codenamed the M3P) has higher density than their existing LFP battery for around the same price.

All the pre-existing CATL lithium EV batteries have a energy higher density than their LFP batteries AFAIK. A lower energy density than pre-existing batteries has always been one of the few negatives associated with LFP and has always been given as the reason why they couldn't shoehorn a high enough capacity LFP into the Performance or LR Tesla Model 3. The larger size and higher weight meant that LFP was only suitable for the later SR+ versions and the new RWD Model 3. [This is the case whether or not "M3P" in the article refers to Tesla cars or not.]

Reactions: init6
All the pre-existing CATL lithium EV batteries have a energy higher density than their LFP batteries AFAIK. A lower energy density than pre-existing batteries has always been one of the few negatives associated with LFP and has always been given as the reason why they couldn't shoehorn a high enough capacity LFP into the Performance or LR Tesla Model 3. The larger size and higher weight meant that LFP was only suitable for the later SR+ versions and the new RWD Model 3. [This is the case whether or not "M3P" in the article refers to Tesla cars or not.]
and so from a Tesla point of view if they adopt this new battery the RWD/SR+ model will gain range for the same price, or the same range for less.

No where in the article does it imply these are the highest density lithium batteries available. No where is there a comparison with NCA. All CATL has announced is a new battery that outperforms their existing LFP battery and is good news for the lower end of the EV market.

For people who are in the market for a Tesla Model 3 Performance - nothing to see here.

and so from a Tesla point of view if they adopt this new battery the RWD/SR+ model will gain range for the same price, or the same range for less.

I would speculate that the already increased range of the RWD M3 (with LFP) is as far as they are likely to go without risking impinging on LR territory... unless there is a commensurate increase in the range of the LR on the cards as well. Who knows?!