Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance not performing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2018 M3P here, car only feels seriously alive (true M3P) at 90% + batt charge. Frequent charges over 90% you get warning dont charge over 90 daily or battery dmg may occur (This is what hurts the most to me, I cant enjoy the vehicle to avoid damaging the battery). It starts getting meh at 70% at 30% its like SR+
As the battery degrades, its much worse as the % dont mean the same thing anymore. This is in CA weather. This is how all batteries work hence why Taycan has large pack and specs limit it to always perform never giving you max amperage from the pack. All those vehicles can probably do way better performance, but it is never shown as people will annoy them that it doesnt work as well. Tesla on the other hand, we advertise max performance at 100% battery. At any other state of lower battery, everything is lower performant. Not really happy with this tactic. ICE doesnt have this problem as fuel contains so much energy, but one thing is for sure, would never buy an ICE equivalent.
Is there anything better out there for the price, no... would I buy it again, yes.

• Informative
Reactions: btc1k and Durzel
2018 M3P here, car only feels seriously alive (true M3P) at 90% + batt charge. Frequent charges over 90% you get warning dont charge over 90 daily or battery dmg may occur (This is what hurts the most to me, I cant enjoy the vehicle to avoid damaging the battery). It starts getting meh at 70% at 30% its like SR+
As the battery degrades, its much worse as the % dont mean the same thing anymore. This is in CA weather. This is how all batteries work hence why Taycan has large pack and specs limit it to always perform never giving you max amperage from the pack. All those vehicles can probably do way better performance, but it is never shown as people will annoy them that it doesnt work as well. Tesla on the other hand, we advertise max performance at 100% battery. At any other state of lower battery, everything is lower performant. Not really happy with this tactic. ICE doesnt have this problem as fuel contains so much energy, but one thing is for sure, would never buy an ICE equivalent.
Is there anything better out there for the price, no... would I buy it again, yes.
I have a 2019 M3P and take it on track so I'm charging regularly to 100% and discharging to <10%. As long as the pack is warm, I still get 0-60mph times around 4 seconds even at <15% SoC.
There are a lot of variables whan it come to the performance of these cars and sometimes it takes me by surprise how well they perform at a low SoC, but they can.
Maybe there is something specific wrong with your car but what you describe isn't normal unless you live in a very cold climate and do very short trips so your pack doesn't warm up enough.

• Informative
Reactions: ACarneiro
I imagine they will sort out the issues with the newer models with the heat pumps. Mine is a 2019 without the heat pump and while it does suffer a bit in the cold here in Switzerland it's still a very fast car and definitely more fun/fast than the Porsche's, Audi's and other cars I've owned. I suspect they will have this resolved before next Winter, but then again Elon time is very unpredictable.

I have a 2019 M3P and take it on track so I'm charging regularly to 100% and discharging to <10%. As long as the pack is warm, I still get 0-60mph times around 4 seconds even at <15% SoC.
There are a lot of variables whan it come to the performance of these cars and sometimes it takes me by surprise how well they perform at a low SoC, but they can.
Maybe there is something specific wrong with your car but what you describe isn't normal unless you live in a very cold climate and do very short trips so your pack doesn't warm up enough.

I've got a China made 2021 (September) Model 3 Performance and went out on a days drive, just to see how many miles I got.

Did about 200 miles, with 18% battery left. It was a warm day though at around 20 c

Anyways, about 20% battery I gave it WOT off the traffic lights, and the car was off like a stabbed rat...

So I don't seem to be getting a performance drop off... maybe Winter will cause more issues, but I'm not going to drive this car on the Salt Roads anyways. I'll get my ICE car out for that.

Want to keep my Tesla corrosion free thanks...

I understood the issue to be more the cold and lowish state of charge to cause the problem and not state of charge in itself, similar to the SR+ LFP battery issues (albeit different issues) were linked to the cold. We’ll know in the next month or so I guess

I understood the issue to be more the cold and lowish state of charge to cause the problem and not state of charge in itself, similar to the SR+ LFP battery issues (albeit different issues) were linked to the cold. We’ll know in the next month or so I guess
Yes, correct. SoC alone does not necessarily cause a big drop in motor power output.

This is incorrect and pointed out previously.
The key words I used were "necessarily" and "big".
I'm well aware how the output drops off as SoC reduces, but this thread started with someone saying their M3P does 0-60 in 12 seconds at 20% SoC and that is what I'm discussing.
At 12% SoC my M3P has been timed at 4.1secs 0-60mph (no rollout), so in the right conditions there will not be a BIG drop in power output. There could be some discussion to be had over what BIG means to different people, but 1 second more to 60 isn't BIG to me.

The key words I used were "necessarily" and "big".
I'm well aware how the output drops off as SoC reduces, but this thread started with someone saying their M3P does 0-60 in 12 seconds at 20% SoC and that is what I'm discussing.
At 12% SoC my M3P has been timed at 4.1secs 0-60mph (no rollout), so in the right conditions there will not be a BIG drop in power output. There could be some discussion to be had over what BIG means to different people, but 1 second more to 60 isn't BIG to me.
That's 30% or so slower

You get different brakes, wheels, badge, a spoiler and track mode included ;)
The wheels and lower profile rubber I can live without.
Better (?) brakes with painted calipers, ditto: for road use better brakes are pointless.
The spoiler can be added to any car.
Track mode: really?

For £1500 I can get the main part of the performance version as an upgrade..... it is planned!

Better (?) brakes with painted calipers, ditto: for road use better brakes are pointless.

For £1500 I can get the main part of the performance version as an upgrade..... it is planned!
I'm not justifying the additional expense, just explaining it. If you never go on track, the LR is the best price/performance choice.
Oh and the calipers are all painted. Just different colours. 😊

When I started to look at the Model 3, I was going to buy the long range 100% ... and then add the Boost, plus AP Racing Big brake kit, Eibach lowering springs, use the 18" wheels for Winter tyres and buy another Summer set...

Then about 3 days before, I cracked and bought the Performance.

Reason being... it's the Performance... and it is what it is. I didn't need to be frugal, so just went for it. No regrets either, as I'll never be wondering "what if..."

- 162 mph top speed
- Fastest 0-60 period
- Faster motor for immediate launch. Ideal for overtakes
- Brembo Brakes. They're lighter calipers and discs. Better for repeated use with less fade
- 20" wheels with lowered springs
- Carbon Spoiler & alloy pedals
- Track Mode where you can manipulate traction, motor power with front & rear split. Plus any new future features.
- Higher resale value
- Weirdly it was also cheaper to insure unmodified then a standard LR model.
- Isn't modified so standard insurance applies.

Reactions: Peter 224
You may say the Performance is only a Car length ahead on an accelleration comparison, but I'm sorry, that car length is everything on an overtake.

You may say big brakes offer no initial braking benefit, and thats true, but being a lot lighter the unsprung weight is reduced for faster turning and grip. Plus better heat loss, faster recovery and better brake fluid.

You may say the carbon spoiler can be swapped over, yes that's true... but get it wrong and it could add too much weight and stop the auto-boot open from working.

You may say Track mode is worthless for road driving. But being able to control two motors, traction, battery cooling, plus all the other future developments that cannot just be accessed unless you have the Performance. These may have road benefits as well (would be interesting to explore).

You can't add a higher top speed, or a faster motor... you just get what you pay for.

When I started to look at the Model 3, I was going to buy the long range 100% ... and then add the Boost, plus AP Racing Big brake kit, Eibach lowering springs, use the 18" wheels for Winter tyres and buy another Summer set...

Then about 3 days before, I cracked and bought the Performance.

Reason being... it's the Performance... and it is what it is. I didn't need to be frugal, so just went for it. No regrets either, as I'll never be wondering "what if..."

- 162 mph top speed
- Fastest 0-60 period
- Faster motor for immediate launch. Ideal for overtakes
- Brembo Brakes. They're lighter calipers and discs. Better for repeated use with less fade
- 20" wheels with lowered springs
- Carbon Spoiler & alloy pedals
- Track Mode where you can manipulate traction, motor power with front & rear split. Plus any new future features.
- Higher resale value
- Weirdly it was also cheaper to insure unmodified then a standard LR model.
- Isn't modified so standard insurance applies.
All the above is noted, but the original point of this thread is that some perfomance models are not performing. Would you still be happy if you no longer had the fastest 0-60? Would you go out on a track when a LR would beat you? No one is suggesting that the (performing) Performance is not a faster car, but there are some that aren't as fast as the LR. Would you be happy with all the above equipment if it was slower than an LR?