Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance not performing

kailm

Jul 23, 2019
San Jose
2018 M3P here, car only feels seriously alive (true M3P) at 90% + batt charge. Frequent charges over 90% you get warning dont charge over 90 daily or battery dmg may occur (This is what hurts the most to me, I cant enjoy the vehicle to avoid damaging the battery). It starts getting meh at 70% at 30% its like SR+
As the battery degrades, its much worse as the % dont mean the same thing anymore. This is in CA weather. This is how all batteries work hence why Taycan has large pack and specs limit it to always perform never giving you max amperage from the pack. All those vehicles can probably do way better performance, but it is never shown as people will annoy them that it doesnt work as well. Tesla on the other hand, we advertise max performance at 100% battery. At any other state of lower battery, everything is lower performant. Not really happy with this tactic. ICE doesnt have this problem as fuel contains so much energy, but one thing is for sure, would never buy an ICE equivalent.
Is there anything better out there for the price, no... would I buy it again, yes.

• Informative
Reactions: btc1k and Durzel

Electric Dream

Pilots the Millennium Milkfloat
Jul 21, 2016
UK
2018 M3P here, car only feels seriously alive (true M3P) at 90% + batt charge. Frequent charges over 90% you get warning dont charge over 90 daily or battery dmg may occur (This is what hurts the most to me, I cant enjoy the vehicle to avoid damaging the battery). It starts getting meh at 70% at 30% its like SR+
As the battery degrades, its much worse as the % dont mean the same thing anymore. This is in CA weather. This is how all batteries work hence why Taycan has large pack and specs limit it to always perform never giving you max amperage from the pack. All those vehicles can probably do way better performance, but it is never shown as people will annoy them that it doesnt work as well. Tesla on the other hand, we advertise max performance at 100% battery. At any other state of lower battery, everything is lower performant. Not really happy with this tactic. ICE doesnt have this problem as fuel contains so much energy, but one thing is for sure, would never buy an ICE equivalent.
Is there anything better out there for the price, no... would I buy it again, yes.
I have a 2019 M3P and take it on track so I'm charging regularly to 100% and discharging to <10%. As long as the pack is warm, I still get 0-60mph times around 4 seconds even at <15% SoC.
There are a lot of variables whan it come to the performance of these cars and sometimes it takes me by surprise how well they perform at a low SoC, but they can.
Maybe there is something specific wrong with your car but what you describe isn't normal unless you live in a very cold climate and do very short trips so your pack doesn't warm up enough.

• Informative
Reactions: ACarneiro

GtiMart

Nov 13, 2019
Quebec City, Canada
Performance up to 40mph doesn't change with SOC unless you're under 10-15%. Maybe @kailm is referring to acceleration on the highway over 60mph and not 0-60 times? You do feel a difference at highway speeds when punching it.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC