Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance not performing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can confirm the car is not in chill mode, demo mode, and has the latest software update. All these things were checked by Tesla as soon as I reported it.

It was after that they downloaded the logs and said the car is within spec.

I spent most of yesterday researching this issue and found a ton of evidence that this is a known problem. For whatever reason the battery in the 2021 performance cannot deliver the power required when it is cold and the battery is sub 50%. My car seems to be the worst example.

Tesla have accepted my return request but asked if they can have an opportunity to rectify the issue before then. I'm not hopeful.
Well, at least they now want to rectify ‘an issue’. That’s a step forward.

Hearing these issues are really forcing me to put the brakes on placing my order for a M3P. Down to 1 car at the moment, so no rush...

You would expect them to do more testing when they change main structural parts of the cars like the battery and adding the heat pump. I bet all testing was done in nice Californian weather...
I do feel sorry for your troubles. I feel happy now that I didn't take the bait and swapped over a 2021 3 when I got the email from Tesla about part changing etc.

My advice to you all that are waiting for your delivery of an M3P is to just hold tight and see what happens when you pick up your car. You have 7 days to return your car so I would suggest to make a number of tests within those 7 days to make sure this issue has been resolved.

Reading the posts from people who have had the issue, it sounds like an issue with the battery. New orders that are due in May will be coming from China which we haven't seen any Performance models from there yet so the battery might either be fixed or the batch from China might not have the same issue.

Some of the tests I will be running when I get mine in May.

1. 0-60 - 90% SOC no heating or cooling
2. 0-60 - 90% SOC heating on high
3. 0-60 - 90% SOC cooling on high
4. 0-60 - 50% SOC no heating or cooling
5. 0-60 - 50% SOC heating on high
6. 0-60 - 50% SOC cooling on high
7. 0-60 - 30% SOC no heating or cooling
8. 0-60 - 30% SOC heating on high
9. 0-60 - 30% SOC cooling on high

I know its not 100% scientific, but should get a feel for how it performs under certain charges and if you are not happy, take it back and say its not within your personal 'Spec' and want to return the car.

I'm sure if the problem still exists and enough people do the same, Tesla will sit up and take note.

For those of you who have the issue, I feel for you and would kick up a fuss until it sorted. If there are enough of you and do the same thing, Tesla will have to do something to fix it quickly, more power in numbers.

My advice to you all that are waiting for your delivery of an M3P is to just hold tight and see what happens when you pick up your car. You have 7 days to return your car so I would suggest to make a number of tests within those 7 days to make sure this issue has been resolved.

Reading the posts from people who have had the issue, it sounds like an issue with the battery. New orders that are due in May will be coming from China which we haven't seen any Performance models from there yet so the battery might either be fixed or the batch from China might not have the same issue.

I know its not 100% scientific, but should get a feel for how it performs under certain charges and if you are not happy, take it back and say its not within your personal 'Spec' and want to return the car.

I'm sure if the problem still exists and enough people do the same, Tesla will sit up and take note.

For those of you who have the issue, I feel for you and would kick up a fuss until it sorted. If there are enough of you and do the same thing, Tesla will have to do something to fix it quickly, more power in numbers.
That's a boat load of hassle though to take delivery, and then hope it's fixed, and return the car if it's not.

Bearing in mind you'll have probably got rid of your previous car by then too.

Reactions: Durzel
That's a boat load of hassle though to take delivery, and then hope it's fixed, and return the car if it's not.

Bearing in mind you'll have probably got rid of your previous car by then too.
I agree, something you shouldn't have to do and won't fit everyone's agenda, but I can see a lot of people are anxious now about their order and worried they made the wrong choice and considering changing to an LR.

I am one of those people who are thinking twice about the performance after reading this thread but I'm fortunate enough to have a second car in the family so no big deal if I have to give it back within the 7 days. As I said, I know not everyone will have that luxury but trying to make options available for those who are worried and can do the same thing.

Reactions: Jez_GB
You would expect them to do more testing when they change main structural parts of the cars like the battery and adding the heat pump. I bet all testing was done in nice Californian weather...
I do feel sorry for your troubles. I feel happy now that I didn't take the bait and swapped over a 2021 3 when I got the email from Tesla about part changing etc.
I suspect Teslas idea of cold weather testing is waiting for a cloudy day and going for a spin

isn't the 7day thing overwritten by the UK distance selling regs and therefore its actually 14 days in the UK or something?
there were stories a while back that they dropped the 7 day return in the US completely

Reactions: GRiLLA
The other issue of course is that all these deliveries will happen in May/June, summertime is here so batteries will be warm at ambient temp.

So cars could appear fine. Then winter will soon come and bang your beloved P is now as fast as an electric scooter.

Reactions: Durzel
isn't the 7day thing overwritten by the UK distance selling regs and therefore its actually 14 days in the UK or something?
You could be right, I've seen 7 days advertised but you're 100% correct, as you are purchasing from the internet so its covered by distance selling regs, I think its just easier to get as much done within the 7 days though, less hassle and arguing if they decide to try to put you off once the 7 days are over.

The other issue of course is that all these deliveries will happen in May/June, summertime is here so batteries will be warm at ambient temp.

So cars could appear fine. Then winter will soon come and bang your beloved P is now as fast as an electric scooter.
I agree, who wants to chip in for a one of them container type fridges so we can drive in, let it sit in sub zero temps for a couple hours, then test :)

• Funny