Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance not performing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Am I correct in saying that all P's manufactured from Q4 2020 onwards have the new battery and heat pump?

Whilst only a 'few' of these arrived in the UK last year before production shifted to Shanghai, presumably a significant number of these have been sold in the US during Q1 this year? With the US being pretty big, I'm guessing a significant number of these have spent the Q420 and Q121 winter months in colder regions than the UK.

To get to my point, if this was a wide issue affecting all 4Q20 and 1Q21 P's (instead of just a few isolated cases), wouldn't we have seen a LOT more complaining across the Internet over the last 6 months?

Reactions: K3v1n
My battery was at 17% with 2 miles to a supercharger this morning. Mindful of this thread & following a slow moving lorry, as soon as he pulled over I floored the accelerator - the 'kick' felt almost the same as at any higher state of charge (2020 LR, acceleration boost, 8ºC)

I've also been in a 2020 performance several times & on one occasion I recall the battery was between 40-45% but still mighty fast from a standing start or from any speed. Something is definitely not right with the OPs car & surely the same won't apply to others with the same battery?

My battery was at 17% with 2 miles to a supercharger this morning. Mindful of this thread & following a slow moving lorry, as soon as he pulled over I floored the accelerator - the 'kick' felt almost the same as at any higher state of charge (2020 LR, acceleration boost, 8ºC)

I've also been in a 2020 performance several times & on one occasion I recall the battery was between 40-45% but still mighty fast from a standing start or from any speed. Something is definitely not right with the OPs car & surely the same won't apply to others with the same battery?

Hi mate. Just to clarify; is your car and the performance you mention equipped with the new battery pack and the heatpump? Just asking as it seems the problem originates there.

You could be right, I've seen 7 days advertised but you're 100% correct, as you are purchasing from the internet so its covered by distance selling regs, I think its just easier to get as much done within the 7 days though, less hassle and arguing if they decide to try to put you off once the 7 days are over.
If your collecting from Tesla SC and have a chance to “inspect the goods” prior to accepting them (which you do) then your going to struggle to argue that as the distance selling regulations actual wording is in relation to the buyer not having a chance to see the physical goods before buying - hence why it’s “ days from delivery...”

if they deliver the car to you though I guess you could try :)

Of course this is in relation to you just not wanting the item - if there’s a fault then it’s a totally different story!

You would expect them to do more testing when they change main structural parts of the cars like the battery and adding the heat pump. I bet all testing was done in nice Californian weather...
I do feel sorry for your troubles. I feel happy now that I didn't take the bait and swapped over a 2021 3 when I got the email from Tesla about part changing etc.
Bear in mind the car originally came with no way of catching water pouring off the boot lid onto the rear glass. Rain is clearly one of those things Californians are warned about as kids, like some kind of natural disaster.

The other issue of course is that all these deliveries will happen in May/June, summertime is here so batteries will be warm at ambient temp.

So cars could appear fine. Then winter will soon come and bang your beloved P is now as fast as an electric scooter.
As indeed B-pillar condensation is pretty much a winter problem too.

W
Am I correct in saying that all P's manufactured from Q4 2020 onwards have the new battery and heat pump?

Whilst only a 'few' of these arrived in the UK last year before production shifted to Shanghai, presumably a significant number of these have been sold in the US during Q1 this year? With the US being pretty big, I'm guessing a significant number of these have spent the Q420 and Q121 winter months in colder regions than the UK.

To get to my point, if this was a wide issue affecting all 4Q20 and 1Q21 P's (instead of just a few isolated cases), wouldn't we have seen a LOT more complaining across the Internet over the last 6 months?
Erm.. well... there is a ton of complaining across various forums and media over the last few months.

Youtube videos from Bjorn et al. Spreadsheets where people have tracked the numbers and published it.

Threads like this and this and this

The battery change was slow to reach the LR so it’s possible in the figures provided earlier they were a 2021 LR with the older battery. From what I’ve seen all 2021 P’s had the new battery.

Be interesting if anyone has picked up a recently built LR and can see their battery and how they perform. One would be surprised if the LR was better than the P on the same battery version as that implies the battery can be put into a lower power state easily in the P (maybe a higher power call causes it to overheat quickly), or it’s the motors that are causing the problem (although I was under the impression they were largely the same, the P motors being hand picked for having better tolerances)

W

Erm.. well... there is a ton of complaining across various forums and media over the last few months.

Youtube videos from Bjorn et al. Spreadsheets where people have tracked the numbers and published it.

Threads like this and this and this
two of those are discussing Bjorns results so aside from this thread that is Bjorn + 2 people You would think it would be more if its a systemic problem

if you are heading to an SuC the car would be preheating so the battery would be very warm so I imagine you would get better performance than normal at that State of charge. May not be a representative test

Is there not an Tesla email we can all send our concerns to? Might rock a few boats if 20 or 30 people said they are having second thoughts about there order based on a number of people indicating that below 50% soc in the cold it’s slower than a milk float!!! and that’s apparently within spec.

Just had this response from Tesla...

Thanks for your email. Tesla has issued the following in light of the concerns you have raised;

"Tesla is aware of some customer concerns raised against the operation of the 2021 model year Model 3 Performance vehicles in low temperature climates and we are currently investigating those concerns. Rest assured that we take our customer concerns seriously and ensure that they are investigated with the appropriate urgency and diligence. Some improvements have been made in the Software version 2021.4.11 that is now being rolled out to vehicles with Over-The-Air update. Additional investigations to further improve the performance are still underway."

I’m going to sit on the P order and keep everything crossed, if it’s software related it can be fixed!

13 pages of comment on Tesla website here

Electrek article here, Forbes article here

I'm not in denial about there being issues. There clearly are. But the OP's issue is clearly worse than most.

I just can't help but think that if ALL 4Q20 and 1Q21 P's sold in GB-type (or colder) climates were routinely suffering from severe performance loss at low SoC, then we would be seeing a lot more shouting and negative press than there has been.