Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance not performing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for the update @jliver33 and I'm sorry that the issue with your car was not put to bed and that you had to return it.

Let's hope that when the tech in the SC suggested it was not an easy fix, that it has actually been fixed in the delayed P's and when they do eventually rock up they don't have an issue which is still work in progress!

that's a standard line for anything that they won't admit is not right. Try asking to see the spec in question. There wont be one. At best it will be a vague disclaimer about how performance is subject to state of charge etc
I agree with you.

At least they are now publicly acknowledging there is a problem with battery performance at low state of charge on the P's. That was enough for me to cancel and switch to an LR anyway.

Going to be a lot of unhappy people getting P deliveries when they come :rolleyes:

Thanks. This is where my confusion was, as the standard octovalve in the pre heat pump model is also set to scavenge heat from where it is needed, which I was failry sure Munro had stated included the battery. But it does seem that the way the new heat pump prioritises the heating is perhaps different.

The "octovalve" only arrived with the heat pump cars ... it's part of the heat pump system. (there used to be a "Superbottle" that performed some coolant switching)

Going to be a lot of unhappy people getting P deliveries when they come

If @GeorgeSymonds is correct and from Q2 the LR is now being fitted with the same battery then there may be many more waiting for a fix.

...although interesting to hear the Tech mention that the months-long P delays are related to the cold weather/low Soc issue. Fingers crossed it's been resolved for everyone!

Reactions: Jez_GB
If @GeorgeSymonds is correct and from Q2 the LR is now being fitted with the same battery then there may be many more waiting for a fix.

...although interesting to hear the Tech mention that the months-long P delays are related to the cold weather/low Soc issue. Fingers crossed it's been resolved for everyone!
Plot twist: the delays are to receive the cars in warmer spring/summer so the faults are not evident sooner...

• Funny
Reactions: Jez_GB

I think I'm partly wrong now. 2020 LRs had a BT37 battery code, the latest EU LR ones made in China have a BT38 code. The BT42 from the P are still showing on Fremiont inventory, as do the current crop of Fremont LR but they're not coming here. So US LR use the same battery but MIC LR don't appear to.

Until we get an inventory M3P for delivery and we can check the battery and where its made I don't think anyone can know.

• Informative
Reactions: M3P_W8
I think I'm partly wrong now. 2020 LRs had a BT37 battery code, the latest EU LR ones made in China have a BT38 code. The BT42 from the P are still showing on Fremiont inventory, as do the current crop of Fremont LR but they're not coming here. So US LR use the same battery but MIC LR don't appear to.

Until we get an inventory M3P for delivery and we can check the battery and where its made I don't think anyone can know.

So Tesla are now using the same battery/heat pump combo in both Fremont made LR and P models for US markets (some of which can get pretty cold!).

Given that Tesla have acknowledged a low SoC/temp performance issue with that hardware combo, would that indicate that they are confident of resolving it with OTA updates?.... or am I giving them too much credit!? 🤔

If the delay in P delivery is so that they arrive in summer then that is diabolical, but I note that no one has said they thought it a crazy suggestion which says a lot about Tesla
If the delay is for a hardware fix then that bodes very badly for the existing 2021 P owners
So the best case scenario is that they held them back to minimise complaints while they fixed the software, but based on what we have seen so far they have not yet been able to do that several months later which is also concerning.

All in all I have a bad feeling about this

Reactions: btc1k
If the delay in P delivery is so that they arrive in summer then that is diabolical, but I note that no one has said they thought it a crazy suggestion which says a lot about Tesla
If the delay is for a hardware fix then that bodes very badly for the existing 2021 P owners
So the best case scenario is that they held them back to minimise complaints while they fixed the software, but based on what we have seen so far they have not yet been able to do that several months later which is also concerning.

All in all I have a bad feeling about this
Indeed. First reports of an issue in Oct 20, it's now 7 months later and the number of complaints about this are increasing.

Not an "easy fix" after all !

Just to clarify this greater sensitivity to temp and soc is linked to the change to a heat pump. So all 2020 cars don’t have the heat pump and tend to be less sensitive
Seems to be two issues. There something related to the heat pump cars overcooling the battery, maybe that's been fixed with the latest software, and there were some late 2020 models that had the pump.
There would also seem to be much higher limits that Tesla are needing to apply to the 2021 cars that come with the new panasonic batteries, at low temperature the difference in power reported here is enormous. Maybe the chemistry of this cell simply isn't suitable for more northern climates.

Trying to be positive here....

All Teslas (EVs) only perform at their absolute maximum on a full battery & will deplete by varying degrees after that.

As EVs are mostly charged overnight or very frequently the occasions where it drops to below ~50% won't be that common. Maybe on longer journeys & especially at cold temps but then who plans to race everything else on the road & at all times anyway? In addition, a sub 5sec car at 50% is still extremely quick.

Trying to be positive here....

All Teslas (EVs) only perform at their absolute maximum on a full battery & will deplete by varying degrees after that.

As EVs are mostly charged overnight or very frequently the occasions where it drops to below ~50% won't be that common. Maybe on longer journeys & especially at cold temps but then who plans to race everything else on the road & at all times anyway? In addition, a sub 5sec car at 50% is still extremely quick.

I love your positivity, and believe me I am trying to remain so, however..... Massive Point of principal here - Surely the P should out perform the LR (and SR+ for that matter) in any given situation, regardless of temperature, SoC and every other variable.

Apologies; I know I'm repeating myself here, but it is REALLY irksome!

Last edited: