Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance of 2016 90D verses P85D verses P90D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 14 p85d non ludi and I still pull 3.1 to 60. I had a 13 p85 which ran 0 to 60 in 4.1 which is around where the 90d is at. The performance is a huge difference. When we were looking at which car to buy (purchase in May as coo from Tesla) we know we. Aged the performance. The price difference isn’t all that much and at the end of the day I enjoy having the extra perf when I what it or not.

The reality is the batterygate software hasn't capped most the 85s but it's capped enough to cause an uproar. I'll be sticking with V8 as long as possible as I really dislike v9/v10 for many other/additional reasons.

So glad to still be on V8.

90D which has better range or I can go for more performance with a P85D or P90D <snip> I have not driven them to compare

Option : never drive a PxxD

If you do end up driving a P90DL, you'll very possibly "need" to own one. (Speaking from experience)

There is a 20% premium for the combined performance and ludicrous options in the used market, but it was more like 40% premium when new over the normal dual motor, so the depreciation hit is mostly on the original owner.

Am personally in the market for a August 2016 or newer P90DL as they have the highest performance potential compared to P85DL, but price is less than 10% more to get the 90 over the 85. If the P90DL manufacture date is 2015 or early 2016, it's entirely possible the performance is not much different from a P85DL.

Now, I've been talking about the DL, but if you just go with a P85D without ludicrous, it certainly is quicker than a 90D for sure, but mostly on the start, on highways it's not much different.

The reality is the batterygate software hasn't capped most the 85s but it's capped enough to cause an uproar. I'll be sticking with V8 as long as possible as I really dislike v9/v10 for many other/additional reasons.

So glad to still be on V8.

I never experienced v8 so maybe I did lose a few miles between the two versions but when I took delivery in May mid was running v9 already and max charging to 244 (so had lost 9 miles but on a almost 5 year old car I’d expect it)

personally I think the miles are still there they’re just further hidden after the whole shanghai fire. Source....i quite accidentally drove my car 4 miles on 0 miles 0% shortly after picking it up. And that was during a complete uphill climb. Sea level tom1700ft. I now know that my 4 miles uses roughly 6% off the pack. Would I try this again. NO. But it did happen

When you go looking on ev-cpo, what options do you first set up?

If Ludicrous is one of them, then get the P90DL You'll not only have the all-wheel performance, but it looks like performance is in your heart.

If you're starting by sorting based upon price, skip the L and maybe even the P. You'll be just fine on highway speeds and the number of times that you want to slam on that right pedal will be limited. Rarely will you be trying to accelerate from a standing stop.

A lot comes down to your personality. Once you decide on what kind of driver you are more likely to be, then you can work on financing or finding that right vehicle.

All things being equal, I'm a performance guy and find more value in having it (not necessarily using it) and not wanting to regret my future choices. I can always buy a newer car, and they will always be getting cheaper.

Reactions: SmartElectric