Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance of P85D with Ludicrous upgrade review

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My battery is number is a 1055855-00-C. Tesla of Mt kisco has backed me up twice and now has me on hold as they are claiming my mid may build is a later battery and needs a different kit. I have been waiting 10plus months since my deposit and I am the only one that has mentioned this problem on the forum. Mt kisco I know has done upgrades and they claim to have the older kits in stock. Did they redesign the kit again just recently and are waiting for new stock or is this just BS?

I upgraded my P85D to a P85DL in late July (almost a 10 month wait). My buddies have goaded me ever since to take it to the track. I have goosed it on country roads but that's about it. On Sunday I took it to Byron (Illinois) Drag Strip. My friends wanted to run it against a 2015 Hellcat. I finally said OK as long as I could video it. I let my buddy drive the Tesla; he had never driven one before.
It was 100 degrees on the track. The Tesla had about 205 miles of range left and was max battery ready. I had the stock 21 inch turbines with stock summer tires (and about 16,000 miles on them). The Hellcat had some modified slicks on the back.

The track saw three hours of activity before we ran. My buddy just used the stomp on the pedal method. The Tesla predictably sprinted out first. At the 1/4 mile, the Hellcat was up to 122 MPH while the Tesla was up to 113+. The P85DL crossed the finish line .3397 seconds ahead of the 707HP/200MPH Hellcat. Obviously another 200 feet it would have been a different story. The Tesla's time was 11.738 which I thought was pretty good considering I just drove 45 miles and had it sitting in the heat for several hours.

The track announcer was talking down the Tesla. The Hellcat owner, as it turns out, was sponsoring a company outing and had rented out the whole track. It's probably the only time it will ever see a track but I am glad I went. I am sure there were probably some tips to improve the time but to beat the Hellcat in front of all the owner's employees was a blast. The guy that drove the Tesla said he actually let off a bit at the end because he didn't see the Hellcat until the very end.

Congratulations. Reaction times can make a big difference on who wins. So can you tell us what they were for each car which should be on your time slip. Next time you should drive yourself as it is a lot of fun. I take my P85DL to the track all the time. A higher battery charge would help but if you are 45 miles from the track that is a problem.

The slip is in the car but as I recall the reaction time for the Tesla is under 2 sec and was over 4 sec for the Hellcat. This was a straight first to finish contest. The Hellcat actually posted a better 1/4 time of 11.708 (vs 11.738) but was slower to trigger out of the block. The Hellcat owner said all things being equal (higher charged Tesla), familiarity of drivers to each vehicle that he couldn't see where the Hellcat would ever have an edge in the quarter.

Congratulations. Reaction times can make a big difference on who wins. So can you tell us what they were for each car which should be on your time slip. Next time you should drive yourself as it is a lot of fun. I take my P85DL to the track all the time. A higher battery charge would help but if you are 45 miles from the track that is a problem.

Reaction time shouldn't factor into his time. The Hellcat could have beat him to the line and he still could have had a faster time.

Byron is out in the middle of nowhere. I don't think anyone lives close to the track. :D

Reaction time shouldn't factor into his time. The Hellcat could have beat him to the line and he still could have had a faster time.

Byron is out in the middle of nowhere. I don't think anyone lives close to the track. :D
I know that but his original post did not state the et of the Hellcat and that is what I wanted to know.

I also think the 2 sec and 4 sec reaction times need a decimal point in front.

Reactions: msnow
Here's a video of my newly upgraded P85DL at the drag against a P90DLv2 back in July. It took some time compiling all the data..and things like vacation interfered! :)

It was my first time at the drag AFTER the L upgrade!
All of the data logging was done in the P85DL, @llavalle didn't have the new diag connector for the P90DL at the time.

Although, we prepped the car with high SOC, Max Temperature Ready (and in my case, thoroughly emptied frunk/trunk), the times are not terrible.
The track is an old airport field cement track and they don't always put enough glue to make it as sticky as asphalt.
The P90DL was also carrying a (lite) passenger in all runs.
Fun was had by all!!! :D

Check it out:

The fastest 1/4 miles recorded on dragtimes was 11.224sec for P85DL...really not there yet!

Reactions: NOLA_Mike
Here's a video of my newly upgraded P85DL at the drag against a P90DLv2 back in July. It took some time compiling all the data..and things like vacation interfered! :)

It was my first time at the drag AFTER the L upgrade!
All of the data logging was done in the P85DL, @llavalle didn't have the new diag connector for the P90DL at the time.

Although, we prepped the car with high SOC, Max Temperature Ready (and in my case, thoroughly emptied frunk/trunk), the times are not terrible.
The track is an old airport field cement track and they don't always put enough glue to make it as sticky as asphalt.
The P90DL was also carrying a (lite) passenger in all runs.
Fun was had by all!!! :D

Check it out:

The fastest 1/4 miles recorded on dragtimes was 11.224sec for P85DL...really not there yet!
We had a lot of traction issues on that track. I would assume we could shove a .3 second if we could have a surface with more grip.