Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance of Refreshed MSLR vs. others

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have both a refresh lr. AND a raven performance.

The raven is faster than the lr according to my dragy

in fact the raven on winter tires in wet road not in ludicrous+ mode no launch. is quicker than the lr in drag mode with launch on dry asphalt

That is facts.
I agree here. Even the 2017 P100D had 0-60 of 2.28 sec vs the new LR 3.1. I agree the 60-130 is where the new LR would start to catch but given the intense launch of the P100D, it would be a close one.

A P is still a P now matter how you slice it. It’s algo’s are made to launch alongside faster throttle response.

The Raven Performance I agree is a beast. 0-90 even…it will beat the new LR as it starts with a 1 second advantage at the 60 mark.

Last edited:
A car running about 2.8 seconds 0-60 is not slow. So it does punch off the line, just not as hard as maybe a Raven or Plaid. It by no means feels slow for the vast majority of people. There is a lot of force off the line. Unlike almost every other Tesla (except the Plaid) the strong acceleration continues unabated on in to the upper speed ranges.

Maybe a better way to put it is there a lot less flattening of the acceleration curve at higher speeds. You can also run the MS LR and Plaid multiple run without performance falling off.

As much as at times I'd like my drives to be nothing but 1/4 mile runs or laps around a circuit, rarely do I encounter many people I can engage (if so inclined) from a dead stop. Most of my runs against other cars have been on a roll and often on the highway. Almost everyone knows most any Tesla is quick off the line but definitely fades at higher speed. So I almost never find anyone who wants to go from a dig.

I am generally pretty happy with the level of performance of the MS LR. I know from most any roll above about 25 mph, the only Tesla that will take the MS LR is a Plaid. They really hit a home run with this version of the S. Curious to see how Tesla builds on this platform in the future to make it even better.

The spec by tesla on the new LR is 3.1 sec 0-60 so how 2.8? Just curious. Confirmed to be closer to 3.2-3.3 by various real world tests on tube etc.

My buddy got his new 22’ MYP with 21” Ubers about 3 weeks ago and my other friend has a new LR with 19” from Feb. They did a roll from 40kph to 130kph…(25-80ish miles). They were neck and neck. 🤷🏽‍♂️ Both had around 80-85 Soc.

The MYP is fierce and if one puts 19” on it, it will run even quicker. The 21” Ubers are ridiculously heavy.

I would assume the LR will overtake past the 80mph mark. Quieter, softer ride and damn she looks good lol. Best value MS ever made in terms of balance of power and range.

• Informative
Reactions: aerodyne
If you take the 3.1 which is quoted with rollout, it equates to about 2.8. So if comparing apples to apples specs, they need to be measure the same way. When they quote the Plaid specs, MYP, M3P, etc. they always quote the 0-60 times without rollout for the performance models. So subtract about .2-.3 seconds from the non performance cars time or add the same to the performance car times to be at least have a more relevant comparison.

The last M3P I tested ran 3.38 (with rollout) according to Dragy vs Tesla's claimed 3.1 without rollout. At the time Dragy called it something like the 3.13 without rollout. That was with 95% SoC and fresh off the Supercharger on a warm day and pretty sure batteries were up to temp.

If you take the 3.1 which is quoted with rollout, it equates to about 2.8. So if comparing apples to apples specs, they need to be measure the same way. When they quote the Plaid specs, MYP, M3P, etc. they always quote the 0-60 times without rollout for the performance models. So subtract about .2-.3 seconds from the non performance cars time or add the same to the performance car times to be at least have a more relevant comparison.

The last M3P I tested ran 3.38 (with rollout) according to Dragy vs Tesla's claimed 3.1 without rollout. At the time Dragy called it something like the 3.13 without rollout. That was with 95% SoC and fresh off the Supercharger on a warm day and pretty sure batteries were up to temp.
Ah ok. So LR with roll is .3 faster? That’s quite the difference. Meaning Tesla really limits that 0-10mph?

Ah ok. So LR with roll is .3 faster? That’s quite the difference. Meaning Tesla really limits that 0-10mph?
It’s with the 1ft rollout, which typically equates to 0.2 less. Tesla uses this for the Performance models but not the others like the LR. So the LR with that 1ft rollout factored in should be under 3 seconds
Like with the Plaid, the 1.99 is considering the 1ft rollout; actual 0-60 is about 2.18 from a standstill. I’ve hit a 2.2 at the drag strip in mine and the Dragy listed it as a 2.02 with the 1 ft rollout factored in

It’s with the 1ft rollout, which typically equates to 0.2 less. Tesla uses this for the Performance models but not the others like the LR. So the LR with that 1ft rollout factored in should be under 3 seconds
Like with the Plaid, the 1.99 is considering the 1ft rollout; actual 0-60 is about 2.18 from a standstill. I’ve hit a 2.2 at the drag strip in mine and the Dragy listed it as a 2.02 with the 1 ft rollout factored in
The 1ft roll must have a diff output in speed numbers depending on model then. The Plaid achieved 2.18 (real world) to 2.02 (real world) so .16 sec variance .But that’s considering a power output of 1100hp, tri motor and ridiculous thrust.

For the LR imagine the diff to be slightly less ie. 3.2 (real world) to perhaps 3.08? Maybe .12 sec off? Given it’s hp and torque is less but weight almost identical than the Plaid, it prob wouldn’t provide the same benefit at 1ft roll no?

Has anyone actually dragged the LR at a 1ft roll?

I haven't had a chance to take mine to the track yet or do any runs with Dragy. The faster the car, the better the traction, the less the rollout will typically be as it takes less time to cover the ~1 foot of rollout at the start. So the time for the rollout for the Plaid will be less than the S LR. Car and Driver almost always just uses .3 for the vast majority of cars.

Reactions: Destiny1701
Anyone with direct experience between a M3P and an S LR? I know the S has more balls when already rolling, but how’s the overall feel vs the M3p? I prioritize performance over comfort… Need to replace my M3P and debating between an S LR or another M3P. I think my ideal car would be a model 3 plaid but that’s not happening anytime soon.

As for the M3P vs MS LR - I'll provide my perspective. While I don't have the M3P, I have the M3 LR w/boost. So it gives up just a bit at launch and then is pretty much the same car. I drove a lot of M3Ps before deciding initially to go with the MS and then again drove an M3P before ultimately deciding to buy a M3 LR to replace our MY.

I typically drive the M3 and MS several times throughout the day. If there was an M3 Plaid that was just a bit bigger than my M3, it would be my first choice but it doesn't exist yet.

If you value point and shoot handling dynamics, smaller form factor, and better efficiency (if less range) I'll take the M3P. Honestly though the M3P doesn't offer enough over the M3 LR w/boost to make it worth buying for me. You don't get enough of what matters for the extra ~8k to make the P worth buying but that is subjective. With boost I just give up A touch off the line acceleration at launch. The M3P, M3 LR, M3 LR w/boost basically all accelerate at about the same pace from 60 mph up.

For me the MS LR is more like a GT car. It excels at higher speeds but is still very quick and responsive off the line. The adjustable suspension is a big plus. Quieter at speed. Feels more polished and the cooled seats are a big plus. Definitely a nice cockpit and I'll live the yoke and lack of stalks conversation for another day. To qualify the acceleration level at higher speeds, think of Suzuki GSXR 750 acceleration. So pretty much in line with a 750 sportbike which isn't exactly slow. I REALLY feel the stock all seasons are holding back the MS LR. They always seem like they are scratching for traction even while accelerating. I plan to go with Pilot Sport 4's soon.

If you have more open roads, the MS LR is your car. If you are stuck in a tight city environment, I'd go with the 3 platform. If you like backroad carving the 3 feels better on the tighter roads, but when you have some big sweepers the MS LR just hauls butt when exiting.

• Informative
Reactions: tm1v2 and aerodyne
Hope you keep the MS order.

MY is a good car, but not peacock worthy, imo..😁
Driving a MYP now, EDD for MS LR is later this month into June. I'm grappling with the same decision. I thought I would like the MYP, but I 'really' like it. Practical, hauls my mountain bike, fast (enough) etc. However, still really like the S--weighing what to do now and testing the resale market for my MYP now.......

Reactions: Destiny1701
Driving a MYP now, EDD for MS LR is later this month into June. I'm grappling with the same decision. I thought I would like the MYP, but I 'really' like it. Practical, hauls my mountain bike, fast (enough) etc. However, still really like the S--weighing what to do now and testing the resale market for my MYP now.......
I have to say, as much as I liked my Y, I would never willingly go back to it after having the S. Now that they make a hitch for it covers the one thing I needed the Y for.

Market could be pretty good for resale right now on any Y. Good luck with whatever you decide.

I have to say, as much as I liked my Y, I would never willingly go back to it after having the S. Now that they make a hitch for it covers the one thing I needed the Y for.

Market could be pretty good for resale right now on any Y. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Interesting. Do you frequently have rear passengers? I wonder how they would feel about the low sitting and high legs/knees in the S vs the Y with reclining. Hmm 🤔

The S is just a nicer place to be I agree but the MYP quite the value proposition.

I have rear seat passengers about 80% of the time driving the car. Unfortunately my in-laws are living with us for the foreseeable future. So almost every trip consists of my wife, her parents and our child in a car seat. The width of the S is a big plus in the rear. We have a 3 it feels pretty cramped with everyone in the car.

Ok, the are more cramped in the back, and I keep my seat where comfortable. 🤤 The Y does have more rear leg room than the S. The S and 3 have more front legroom than the Y. My seating position in the S is much more comfortable. While I enjoy the 3 a lot, I hate giving up the cooled seats now that it is getting hotter here. It was about 90F this weekend.

The S is so much quieter inside. Less wind noise than the Y. Better ride quality and no comparison in acceleration. The hatch makes a huge difference in the versatility too.