Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance of Refreshed MSLR vs. others

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree 0-60 (100kph) is where most spend 80% of their driving. Infact more like 0-40 within city driving

This is where I truly enjoy my M3 LR/boost. wish I had gone the PM3 but this is close enough :)

I don’t believe there is a single drive I take without accelerating for fun or changing lanes and passing by effortlessly, or coming out of a left turn and giving it a bit of a punch. Not the entire drive lol but there are moments. For me this is the joy of the ‘tesla’ experience.

I’m sure the SLR has its virtues certainly better crafted…but given I’ve owned an S since 2016 from 90D to P100D…I have a reasonable comparison on driving ‘fun’ between the 3 and S. The latter being more of a sport cruiser with nice suspension and a more refined power delivery…and the former being a point and shoot roller ride with much better handling.
Fun factor is subjective here…whatever works for you.

I agree 0-60 (100kph) is where most spend 80% of their driving. Infact more like 0-40 within city driving

This is where I truly enjoy my M3 LR/boost. wish I had gone the PM3 but this is close enough :)

I don’t believe there is a single drive I take without accelerating for fun or changing lanes and passing by effortlessly, or coming out of a left turn and giving it a bit of a punch. Not the entire drive lol but there are moments. For me this is the joy of the ‘tesla’ experience.

I’m sure the SLR has its virtues certainly better crafted…but given I’ve owned an S since 2016 from 90D to P100D…I have a reasonable comparison on driving ‘fun’ between the 3 and S. The latter being more of a sport cruiser with nice suspension and a more refined power delivery…and the former being a point and shoot roller ride with much better handling.
Fun factor is subjective here…whatever works for you.
Without a doubt my M3P was more fun to drive than my plaid, but there isn't any comparison to when you go wide open in this scud missile of a car. I was thinking I may grab an extra M3P as a DD if they address the slow acceleration in the 60+ range.

• Informative
Reactions: MagnusMako
Without a doubt my M3P was more fun to drive than my plaid, but there isn't any comparison to when you go wide open in this scud missile of a car. I was thinking I may grab an extra M3P as a DD if they address the slow acceleration in the 60+ range.
Oh I wasn’t comparing Plaid to PM3 lol. Just to LR! Plaid …ya totally different animal and king of the hill.

Yes I hope the P3 does get some sort of ‘ludicrous mode’ one day. Likely not as sometimes it’s about optics of paying x dollars for a certain level of Performance and x+$ for more.(The LR S is priced 1.5x that of a Perf 3).
Not sure they would incrsse the P3 to match the LR S given price discrepency.

If they asked for 5k for a ludicrous software update to Perf 3 bringing 0-60 to 2.8 and 60+ way better…sure I’ll grab it. I’d sell my LR boost asap buy a PM3 on the spot !

Last edited:
Oh I wasn’t comparing Plaid to PM3 lol. Just to LR! Plaid …ya totally different animal and king of the hill.

Yes I hope the P3 does get some sort of ‘ludicrous mode’ one day. Likely not as sometimes it’s about optics of paying x dollars for a certain level of Performance and x+$ for more.(The LR S is priced 1.5x that of a Perf 3).
Not sure they would incrsse the P3 to match the LR S given price discrepency.

If they asked for 5k for a ludicrous software update to Perf 3 bringing 0-60 to 2.8 and 60+ way better…sure I’ll grab it. I’d sell my LR boost asap buy a PM3 on the spot !
Honestly on that car, the 0-60 is pretty good, they just need to hold similar acceleration beyond 60.

Reactions: Destiny1701
I don't have a place to try it out now. I have ran mine up to a bit over 140 in Mexico. It was still pulling well from 130 on but I had to let off for possible Policia. It would definitely go faster than the top speed it is restricted to by Tesla. The car is not a slouch other than how they nerfed it off the line.

• Informative
Reactions: aerodyne
Bumping an old thread! How's the acceleration on MSLR beyond 130? Has anyone seen the time it takes to hit the 149mph limiter?

Hard to describe without feeling it yourself. It isn't a slouch, but it isn't that impressive. Does it accelerate faster than a standard family sedan? For sure. But nothing Earth shattering.

Above 120ish, is where "real" sports cars really start to shine. I have a naturally aspirated 911 and I can say it is much faster than my 2022 MSLR above 120mph. Under 100, the MSLR is noticeably faster (in a straight line).

I finally test-drove a Model S LR the other day. It is unfathomably, uncomfortably fast - MUCH MUCH faster than my Model 3P at any speed above about 20 mph.

The new pricing also makes it a much better value than it had gotten to be.

Still don’t like the back seat comfort and the Model 3’s overall visibility is better, but WOW is the MSLR quick!

Last edited:
Would be nice to see any documented test results, with internet anecdotal information indicating a 10.8-11 sec quarter mile @130 or so. Top quartile for performance sedans (an oxymoron, I know), but certainly not in the echelon of true performance cars which run in the 10 sec range these days (not to mention braking and handling balance).

Would be nice to see any documented test results, with internet anecdotal information indicating a 10.8-11 sec quarter mile @130 or so. Top quartile for performance sedans (an oxymoron, I know), but certainly not in the echelon of true performance cars which run in the 10 sec range these days (not to mention braking and handling balance).
BTW, that does make it faster in a straight line than a normally aspirated 992 911....

Looks like it. The 2020 one they tested in Germany ran 11.2@125. It will beat the MSLR to 60 if the Porsche is launched perfectly. The MS LR will run it down after that. If they hadn't nerfed the 0-60 time, it would be a much quicker car to 60 and in the 1/4. Likely .3 to .4 seconds and likely much closer to the Plaid. I still keep waiting for them to have an acceleration boost like they do for the 3/Y LRs.

I've had one run 1/4 mile run. It was 10.88 @ 129.3 on an 80% SoC. I had other runs that I were tracking to be better but I had to abort just before the end. The one run told me what I needed to know.

Looks like it. The 2020 one they tested in Germany ran 11.2@125. It will beat the MSLR to 60 if the Porsche is launched perfectly. The MS LR will run it down after that. If they hadn't nerfed the 0-60 time, it would be a much quicker car to 60 and in the 1/4. Likely .3 to .4 seconds and likely much closer to the Plaid. I still keep waiting for them to have an acceleration boost like they do for the 3/Y LRs.

I've had one run 1/4 mile run. It was 10.88 @ 129.3 on an 80% SoC. I had other runs that I were tracking to be better but I had to abort just before the end. The one run told me what I needed to know.
I still believe Tesla owes us an update to make the 0-60 a little quicker because not a single person, anywhere (track, draggy etc) has posted the claimed 3.1 0-60 (without rollout).

Reactions: Burnt Toast
I think I started that bandwagon over a year ago. So, I am 100% in agreement with you. I looked for months and the best I saw was 3.28 I think. That is MILES away from 3.1. I think my best was like 3.33. That is just a massive gap from what was claimed. It isn't just a "little quicker". Dropping .2 seconds when you are already at 3.3 down to 3.1 is a huge difference.

I firmly believed if this car was unlocked, it would easily match, or beat, the old performance model to 60 mph, and crush it by a lot in the 1/4 mile. This is another reason my current two Teslas are likely my last two Teslas. At least if you buy a car from Porsche, it will almost always meet, or beat its claimed performance numbers. The MS LR times are just purely false advertising.

I think I started that bandwagon over a year ago. So, I am 100% in agreement with you. I looked for months and the best I saw was 3.28 I think. That is MILES away from 3.1. I think my best was like 3.33. That is just a massive gap from what was claimed. It isn't just a "little quicker". Dropping .2 seconds when you are already at 3.3 down to 3.1 is a huge difference.

I firmly believed if this car was unlocked, it would easily match, or beat, the old performance model to 60 mph, and crush it by a lot in the 1/4 mile. This is another reason my current two Teslas are likely my last two Teslas. At least if you buy a car from Porsche, it will almost always meet, or beat its claimed performance numbers. The MS LR times are just purely false advertising.

Wow - so you're going to leave an entire brand over a 10% performance discrepancy?

Better not look too closely at Porsche's pricing then - there are typically 30% of the base MSRP available in OPTIONS, most of which you wouldn't want a car like a Porsche without...

Seems a strange hill to die on, but you do you!

Reactions: itch808 and Nickos
I will do me. It is just the final straw for me. My Y was a POS. I had one of the first cars where they removed radar. It had phantom braking so bad, TACC was unusable. My S had so many issues when delivered, it sat for a month. Driving my car would have made them worse and taken even longer to repair. The yoke has been a horrendous failure for me.

The idiotic horn button placement. The removal of stalks and replacement with the horrendous gearshift implementation. I could go on. The total lying about the performance, which was a key factor in my buying decision, was just icing on the cake so to speak. I spent well over 230k in the last 18 months on Tesla and feel I was lied to, misled, or presented with materially false representations numerous times.

Factor in the horrendous wait times if you ever have an accident with your car. Crappy customer service, Very high insurance costs, so yes, I'll do me and shop other brands. MB and Porsche took much better care of me with the last cars I bought from them. Hell, even the local Ford dealer took better care of us with our Ford EV than Tesla does.

So next time I'd spend the extra $$$ and buy the Porsche. I'll get a vehicle most likely that meets or exceeds its specs. My friends with Taycans get better than claimed range and performance. Sure there are benefits to Teslas but their negatives are quickly outweighing their positives. Shooting themselves in the foot by removing the parking sensors was idiotic as no way the current camera setup will ever replace USS. Tesla is decontenting their cars in key areas.

Anyway, I appreciate what Tesla has done so far but their current trajectory doesn't align with my needs. So once people stop giving Tesla their dollars they'll be forced to change. Just like the giving the wheel back as an option instead of the yoke, they likely couldn't ignore the negative impact on their sales any longer.