Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance of Refreshed MSLR vs. others

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm typically a lurker here, but I haven't been able to find much regarding the performance of the Model S Long Range (refresh). Every video/review out there is talking about the Plaid. I get it, it is fast. But what about the Long Range?

Specs on paper are impressive. Same as prior Model S performance and current Model 3/Y performance up to ~60mph. I'm hearing a lot of talk of how the MSLR has much more noticeable power/performance/speed increase AFTER 60mph. Where's the video proof?

That is what I'm interested in. I'm a performance/sports car guy and I have a MSLR on order (hopefully coming in the next month or two).

Where are the YouTube races against a Model 3/Y Performance after 60mph (say in the quarter mile). Where are the races against a Plaid to see how much slower it really is. There are tons of videos with "Plaid vs. [insert supercar/fast car here]". Nothing about Long Range. They talk about how the Plaid has rollout vs. Long Range not having it when quoting 0-60 numbers. What's a real life race look like between the two?

Yes, it isn't a race car, but I'm probably the minority when it comes to purchasing vehicles. I'm 100% about performance. And the Plaid wasn't worth the extra $30K since I have other "fun" cars at the moment. I want my basic sedan/daily driver to be fast too and I'm interested in seeing the videos/reviews.

One more suggested race.

Raven P100 vs Refresh LR.

My guess is it will match or beat any Tesla but Plaid(s).

My LR Refresh is scheduled for Saturday :)

I find even my PreRefresh Raven X is butt kicking fast. But only when it comes fresh off a 100% charge on a SuperCharger. My performance Model 3 had similar behavior that it was very dependent on charge level in how much kick it had and not that much kick above 60mph.

Supposedly refresh LR is much less sensitive to speed (i.e. kick at 30,40,50,60 mph) and state of charge.

One more suggested race.

Raven P100 vs Refresh LR.

My guess is it will match or beat any Tesla but Plaid(s).

My LR Refresh is scheduled for Saturday :)

I find even my PreRefresh Raven X is butt kicking fast. But only when it comes fresh off a 100% charge on a SuperCharger. My performance Model 3 had similar behavior that it was very dependent on charge level in how much kick it had and not that much kick above 60mph.

Supposedly refresh LR is much less sensitive to speed (i.e. kick at 30,40,50,60 mph) and state of charge.
First things first, it's P100D. Tesla never made a P100. (a little house cleaning on the front end)

Secondly, that aforementioned Model S P100D is capable of mid 10's in the quarter mile. The best a 2022 Model S Long Range has done to date is barely cracked into the 10's in the quarter mile. That may not seem like much but a half second when we're talking about a 10-second-quater-mile-run isn't insignificant.

That doesn't change the fact that I often recommend the LR to people first based on the fact that it's 1) less expensive 2) has more range and 3) performance wise is nearly as fast as the previous performance models. But let's not be hyperbolic about it. The cars stands on it's own merits w/o the need to exaggerate that of which it's capable.

If you pan back from this whole Tesla thing, one of the most significant stats to me in the last couple of years was that a previous iteration of the Model S in LR form was under $70k and got about 50% more range and roughly the same 0-60 time as a car that cost nearly two times more just a few years earlier. (comparing it to a P85D/P90D of course). That range coupled with that performance at that price tag was nuts compared to previous flagship cars that proceeded it only a couple of years.

First things first, it's P100D. Tesla never made a P100. (a little house cleaning on the front end)

Secondly, that aforementioned Model S P100D is capable of mid 10's in the quarter mile. The best a 2022 Model S Long Range has done to date is barely cracked into the 10's in the quarter mile. That may not seem like much but a half second when we're talking about a 10-second-quater-mile-run isn't insignificant.

That doesn't change the fact that I often recommend the LR to people first based on the fact that it's 1) less expensive 2) has more range and 3) performance wise is nearly as fast as the previous performance models. But let's not be hyperbolic about it. The cars stands on it's own merits w/o the need to exaggerate that of which it's capable.

If you pan back from this whole Tesla thing, one of the most significant stats to me in the last couple of years was that a previous iteration of the Model S in LR form was under $70k and got about 50% more range and roughly the same 0-60 time as a car that cost nearly two times more just a few years earlier. (comparing it to a P85D/P90D of course). That range coupled with that performance at that price tag was nuts compared to previous flagship cars that proceeded it only a couple of years.
Thanks for the reply.

10.anything in the quarter is very respectable. I haven't actually seen any videos showing this, have any links? That means there's definitely a lot of pull after 60mph. I think the Model 3 Performance is a hair over 11.5 seconds which is a significant difference. Hell, my Porsche GT3 has an 11.5 quarter. :p Yeah I get it, it isn't a drag car, but still.

Really interested to see 60 to 130mph times too. You can see here, they really only look at the Pxxx and Plaid models. VBOX 60-130 Times MPH - DragTimes.com

EDIT: Found one (
) and it is 7.77 seconds. So that's right around:
- 2014 Porsche Turbo S
- 2020 Porsche Taycan Turbo S (although I thought the Porsche would be much faster)
- 2011 Ferrari 458

Lots of asterisks there and I didn't have time to look deeper since I'm still at the office.

I haven't been a Tesla follower until the last couple of years. You're saying there was a Model S Long Range previously with 50% more range? Than what? 405 miles? That totals 600+ miles. I must be misunderstanding you.

I understand your comment about price, but I'm trying to keep price out of the discussion. With cars, you basically have to "pay to play". Which is what I'm familiar with in the sports/limited edition car genre.

Last edited:
Reactions: aerodyne
Thanks for the reply.

10.anything in the quarter is very respectable. I haven't actually seen any videos showing this, have any links? That means there's definitely a lot of pull after 60mph. I think the Model 3 Performance is a hair over 11.5 seconds which is a significant difference. Hell, my Porsche GT3 has an 11.5 quarter. :p Yeah I get it, it isn't a drag car, but still.

Really interested to see 60 to 130mph times too. You can see here, they really only look at the Pxxx and Plaid models. VBOX 60-130 Times MPH - DragTimes.com

EDIT: Found one (
) and it is 7.77 seconds. So that's right around:
- 2014 Porsche Turbo S
- 2020 Porsche Taycan Turbo S (although I thought the Porsche would be much faster)
- 2011 Ferrari 458

Lots of asterisks there and I didn't have time to look deeper since I'm still at the office.

I haven't been a Tesla follower until the last couple of years. You're saying there was a Model S Long Range previously with 50% more range? Than what? 405 miles? That totals 600+ miles. I must be misunderstanding you.

I understand your comment about price, but I'm trying to keep price out of the discussion. With cars, you basically have to "pay to play". Which is what I'm familiar with in the sports/limited edition car genre.
I was confused by his 50% more range too. Nothing has had further range than current Model S LR refresh. Pre-refresh was almost the same number. Might have been 402 miles, I think.

I'm interested in this topic as well as I have a LR on order and there are very few reviews, performance tests, and of course no test drives available anywhere.

I have found some LR data that's promising, though, like 60-130 in the 7.5s ballpark:

That's faster than the Taycan Turbo S, which I would be more than happy with:

Not sure how that was confusing when I said:

"a previous iteration of the Model S in LR form was under $70k"

...which I'm sure most will read as being the infamous $69,420 Model S Long Range car. It got over 400 miles of range and also just happened to be rated at 0-60 in 3.2 seconds even though most were focused only on the range of that car.

I then even went on to list the car I was comparing it to:

"comparing it to a P85D/P90D of course"

This shouldn't be that confusing when I listed the cars I was comparing in the comparison. Nowhere did I say anything about a car getting 600mi of range.

These cars (P85D/P90D) were the flagship car Tesla made that topped $150k and had 250-270 miles of range and did 0-60 in under 3 seconds. When the P85D came out it was more like mid to low 3's before updates and upgrades. That was the absolute fastest car Tesla made and now similar acceleration numbers could be had for roughly half the price tag and comes with around 50% more range than those P85D/P90D cars.

To summarize, the most expensive Tesla one could buy in 2015/2016 was about $150-$160k that had 254mi of range & did 0-60 in 3.2 seconds. (P85D/P90D)
Only a few years later, one could buy a Tesla Model S for about half of that price tag that had over 400mi of range & roughly the same 0-60 time. (LR)
To me, that stat line was incredibly powerful in and of itself... no need to exaggerate.

I'm typically a lurker here, but I haven't been able to find much regarding the performance of the Model S Long Range (refresh). Every video/review out there is talking about the Plaid. I get it, it is fast. But what about the Long Range?...I want my basic sedan/daily driver to be fast too and I'm interested in seeing the videos/reviews.

Dragy 1/4 mile plus 60-130, plus actual drag strip 1/4 mile...

60-130 looks like 7.64...

Matches the other one above...so right between the 911 Turbo S and the Taycan Turbo S, both roughly double the price of the LR. I'll take that!

The way I look at this is:

In the real world, the refreshed MSLR is quicker than any stock ICE sedan for sale right now. The only Taycan that's quicker is the Turbo, and only 0-60 - in passing times/rolling races or above about 60 mph the MS is quicker. The only electric sedans that are quicker are the Plaid and the top Lucid Air.

I'll take that indeed!

The way I look at this is:

In the real world, the refreshed MSLR is quicker than any stock ICE sedan for sale right now. The only Taycan that's quicker is the Turbo, and only 0-60 - in passing times/rolling races or above about 60 mph the MS is quicker. The only electric sedans that are quicker are the Plaid and the top Lucid Air.

I'll take that indeed!
Yup, and on top of the performance, we get the SC network, ~400 mile EPA range, and all tech toys like sentry mode, TeslaCam etc. Just with I was able to order mine before all the price increases, but it's still pretty good value especially if you keep it for a while.

(I think what I'm really doing here is convincing myself out loud not to bail on the MSLR and order the MYP instead cuz on paper it's the better value....)

There’s a lot more Plaid content because of how crazy the car is and there were much more of them delivered in 2021. Plus I don’t think most LR owners are true car nuts and know what the 60-130 performance mark means or would even care about it. Most of them see the quick 0-60 and go with just that (I’d say anyone that measures a cars performance on 0-60 is probably not a true car nut; 0-60 has so many variables and doesn’t mean much; 1/4 mile time AND trap speed is much more telling for a performance metric that’s from a standstill. 60-130 is probably the best metric to truly compare two cars)

With all that being said, the LR may “barely break into the 10’s” as someone stated above, but the trap speed is significantly higher than a P100D and still higher than a Raven Performance model that could hit mid 10’s. The LR is significantly quicker than those models overall and would pull them hard in roll racing and especially at higher speeds. 60-130 is much quicker. I haven’t seen a video yet, but based on 60-130 times, the LR would give a Taycan Turbo S a run for its money
Compared to the M3P the LR will absolutely blow the doors off it, even though their 0-60 times are similar (hence why the 0-60 time is a very lame way to compare how quick cars are)

Yup, and on top of the performance, we get the SC network, ~400 mile EPA range, and all tech toys like sentry mode, TeslaCam etc. Just with I was able to order mine before all the price increases, but it's still pretty good value especially if you keep it for a while.

(I think what I'm really doing here is convincing myself out loud not to bail on the MSLR and order the MYP instead cuz on paper it's the better value....)
Interesting comment re the MYP. I have a MYP (March '21 delivery) and being more of a sedan guy (always drove Audi S/RS cars) I was very concerned about moving to the SUV body style/setup--a year in and I am very happy with the MYP. Some days I still long for the sedan though and given that, last July ('21) I ordered a MSLR (got in with only the first price increase in effect so I'm at 89k with MSM paint, black interior and Arachnid wheels). Currently showing a late April EDD so gotta decide what to do--my wife doesn't want to go with two EVs (is keeping her '20 Audi SQ5) so trying to determine if its worth the extra $ to make the move to the S......unfortunately I haven't even been able to drive one as of course Tesla has no inventory anywhere that would allow for a test drive.

Reactions: Ormond
Interesting comment re the MYP. I have a MYP (March '21 delivery) and being more of a sedan guy (always drove Audi S/RS cars) I was very concerned about moving to the SUV body style/setup--a year in and I am very happy with the MYP. Some days I still long for the sedan though and given that, last July ('21) I ordered a MSLR (got in with only the first price increase in effect so I'm at 89k with MSM paint, black interior and Arachnid wheels). Currently showing a late April EDD so gotta decide what to do--my wife doesn't want to go with two EVs (is keeping her '20 Audi SQ5) so trying to determine if its worth the extra $ to make the move to the S......unfortunately I haven't even been able to drive one as of course Tesla has no inventory anywhere that would allow for a test drive.

If you can only have one, I'd choose the one that's more useful to you.

I acknowledge the Y is more useful and considered it for a hot second, but personally I wasn't a fan of the style. Plus in my area, every 3rd car is a Model 3 or Y. For the 1% of the time I'll need the utility of the Y, I can figure out another solution (I have a Rivian on order).

Reactions: Jabbahop
I'll add another perspective. I had a Y long range with boost so other than 0-60 it was the same as the Performance. Ordered our MS LR at the same time and just got it. About a week later got a M3 LR and added boost to it so pretty much the same as the M3P at higher speeds and a pretty impressive car in the 30-70 mph range. For reference faster than a Ford GT which isn't a slow car 30-70.

The S LR will just absolutely crush my 3 at any speed. It is a legitimately quick car in its own right. The fact that it is trapping at over 130 in the 1/4 tells a pretty damn good story. Its ET and trap speed beat a Lambo Huracan and I don't think any of us would consider that a slow car. If you got in at the lower price, it probably the best value out there for the performance/range/comfort/etc.

...... If you got in at the lower price, it probably the best value out there for the performance/range/comfort/etc.
Pretty much my thinking exactly. The utility of the Y (trailer hitch for my mountain bike rack) comes in handy a fair bit, but it seems there are now solutions out there to get a hidden hitch on the new S. (Absolutely hate the idea of a hitch bar/mount hanging down below the bumper of the car and ruining the lines so a hidden hitch is critical to me. And yes, I acknowledge I'm being picky.). Not surprisingly, I do also like the overall styling of the S over the Y as well.

How would you compare the ride quality of the S relative to your Y/3? (Are you running 19" or 21" wheels on the S?--my LR S is spec'd with the 21s.). Thanks--appreciate everyone's comments.

Reactions: Ormond
I’m going from X Raven to S LR tomorrow.

The S has as much storage as the Y.

Unless you have kids or need to tow, I’d take the S.

Kids are gone. I do need to tow and will find a way to make the S tow.

It is a pain you can’t test drive an S. And no, there is no Turo around here.

Since there is a hitch option for the S, I will not miss the Y at all now. The Y was an excellent tow vehicle other than no range when towing at anything over 55 mph. Even then it was about half of my normal 270 down to about 135 miles. Even towing a max load it still accelerated and braked pretty well. It was pretty much rock solid for how it felt.

The S's bigger battery pack should give more range as well. My energy consumption in my S is better than my Y ever was.