Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance of Refreshed MSLR vs. others

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have rear seat passengers about 80% of the time driving the car. Unfortunately my in-laws are living with us for the foreseeable future. So almost every trip consists of my wife, her parents and our child in a car seat. The width of the S is a big plus in the rear. We have a 3 it feels pretty cramped with everyone in the car.

Ok, the are more cramped in the back, and I keep my seat where comfortable. 🤤 The Y does have more rear leg room than the S. The S and 3 have more front legroom than the Y. My seating position in the S is much more comfortable. While I enjoy the 3 a lot, I hate giving up the cooled seats now that it is getting hotter here. It was about 90F this weekend.

The S is so much quieter inside. Less wind noise than the Y. Better ride quality and no comparison in acceleration. The hatch makes a huge difference in the versatility too.
Cool. So when you said acceleration, are you comparing MYP to S LR?

My kids are 15/13 and taller. We’ve had an S for many years and now have a 22’ M3 and an MYP coming in 2 weeks. Basically 4 of us at most times or soccer friends. What they found is the higher seating position, reclining seats and more leg room was a huge plus for them over the S.

Comfort wise yes the S is much smoother hands down!

The wind noise..did you have a new latest 22’ Y with double pane windows and increased sound dampening?

Last edited:
I have to say, as much as I liked my Y, I would never willingly go back to it after having the S. Now that they make a hitch for it covers the one thing I needed the Y for.

Market could be pretty good for resale right now on any Y. Good luck with whatever you decide.

There is an official hitch for the S? I know there is a hitch cover but I don't see any hitch in the EPC yet.
Are you using a third party hitch?

There is an official hitch for the S? I know there is a hitch cover but I don't see any hitch in the EPC yet.
Are you using a third party hitch?
Not official. There is a very good option now.

Someone also adapted the refreshed model X hitch to fit. I am debating on which route to go.

Reactions: BPeter
Not official. There is a very good option now.

Someone also adapted the refreshed model X hitch to fit. I am debating on which route to go.
Alright, thanks. Third party hitches have existed for the S for a very long time I thought you meant something official.
I'll probably install one of these when I get mine.

I don't think in the US we'll ever see a hitch for the S. I keep looking to see when one is available and Europe and the wiring harness. I'd prefer to go factory if possible but the EcoHitch looks pretty good.

I have to say, as much as I liked my Y, I would never willingly go back to it after having the S. Now that they make a hitch for it covers the one thing I needed the Y for.

Market could be pretty good for resale right now on any Y. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Can you elaborate on the Y vs S a bit more? I can imagine the S feels a lot more planted, but have not been able to test drive one… and I’m actually cross-shopping these two!

Reactions: Ormond
The front cockpit feels roomier for me on the S (width and depth, but not height). If feels like the footwell is narrower on the Y than the S. For example, my legs have to taper to fit in the footwell a lot more with the Y than the S. The Y has all this extra headroom that feels wasted. Maybe if I was wearing a 10 gallon hat it might be useful.

The S has better ride comfort the height adjustment is heading when going over all the steep dips in my area. It will remember where it needs to raise itself so you don't catch the nose of the car. The tires on the LR stick better than the Y LR's and pretty close to the MYP when driving aggressively.

The S is quieter, smoother, quicker, faster and just is a nice place to be. The only place I liked the Y better was in tight city traffic. The Y is a bit smaller than the S and that is the main reason. The slightly higher seat height doesn't matter that much to me.

On the highway the range difference is significant. My S is more efficient than the Y was. If I were to tow, the bigger battery pack would be a very big plus. Haven't towed with the S yet so can't comment on the range but often my range was about 100-120 miles when towing with the Y.

The S just feels more upscale (as it should) compared to the Y. The Y seats are pretty good but the longer I spend in the S's seats, the more I like them over the 3/Y. i just spent an hour driving around in the Dallas sun in the 3 (seems to be same seats as the Y. Already they were uncomfortable in the sun since there was no ventilation or cooling. I may have to get some sort of seat covers so I don't have to deal with this all summer long.

When we ordered the Y and S, at the time we didn't consider the 3 seriously because we couldn't tow and the Y seemed to be a better fit for us. At least it would be more versatile than the 3. After putting a couple thousand miles on our 3 already, I think the 3 is the better car even if the Y has more room. If the 3 had a hatchback it would be even better. The S takes almost everything I like about the 3 and upsizes it and adds the hatch so I get a lot of the versatility of the Y. Having a car seat in the back, there is a lot more width for adults to sit there.

Of all the Teslas I've driven, I have to say the MS LR ticks almost all my boxes so to speak. I'll probably ditch the yoke for a wheel pretty soon though. As long as it doesn't block the display, I think that is where I am heading. The S has pretty good range (real life 330-340 miles) with a fair amount of 75-80 mph Texas roads thrown it. It is a pretty nice cockpit to spend time in. The autopilot has been rock solid so far with NO phantom braking events (vs. the hundreds I had in the Y). It is very quick whether from a stop or 60 mph roll. While looks are subjective, I always liked the S. The Y always looked like a fat guppy to me. Sadly with the refresh the frunk is almost worthless and I think the Y's is bigger.

The staggered tires means you can't easily rotate the tires. It is longer and wider than the Y if garage fit is an issue. It just barely fits in our garage lenghtwise with only 4" to spare if I park it perfectly. That is where the stupid lack of stalks infuriates me. At least in the garage lately the auto choice of direction has been 100% correct in choosing reverse when I get in the car lately. ;)

Tesla provides decent choices to find a car/CUV to meet your needs and budget. I am glad we had the Y for a while. I'll definitely take the S over the Y, even with the current price delta larger than the ~25k when I ordered our Y and S. Feel free to DM if you have any specific questions. If you come to the Dallas area, glad to take you for a ride in the S.

Great summary of the LR S, reflects my same thoughts. Have had the Y since Sept 2020 and got the S end of December 21. I have not driven the Y more than 2 times since as the S is just such a nicer place to be overall. Don't get me wrong, still love the Y but it is easily outclassed in every respect except storage by the S.

Funny you mention fat guppy as I remember hearing pregnant cat fish. Both are rather good descriptions. 😃

Reactions: Ormond and aerodyne
The front cockpit feels roomier for me on the S (width and depth, but not height). If feels like the footwell is narrower on the Y than the S. For example, my legs have to taper to fit in the footwell a lot more with the Y than the S. The Y has all this extra headroom that feels wasted. Maybe if I was wearing a 10 gallon hat it might be useful.

The S has better ride comfort the height adjustment is heading when going over all the steep dips in my area. It will remember where it needs to raise itself so you don't catch the nose of the car. The tires on the LR stick better than the Y LR's and pretty close to the MYP when driving aggressively.

The S is quieter, smoother, quicker, faster and just is a nice place to be. The only place I liked the Y better was in tight city traffic. The Y is a bit smaller than the S and that is the main reason. The slightly higher seat height doesn't matter that much to me.

On the highway the range difference is significant. My S is more efficient than the Y was. If I were to tow, the bigger battery pack would be a very big plus. Haven't towed with the S yet so can't comment on the range but often my range was about 100-120 miles when towing with the Y.

The S just feels more upscale (as it should) compared to the Y. The Y seats are pretty good but the longer I spend in the S's seats, the more I like them over the 3/Y. i just spent an hour driving around in the Dallas sun in the 3 (seems to be same seats as the Y. Already they were uncomfortable in the sun since there was no ventilation or cooling. I may have to get some sort of seat covers so I don't have to deal with this all summer long.

When we ordered the Y and S, at the time we didn't consider the 3 seriously because we couldn't tow and the Y seemed to be a better fit for us. At least it would be more versatile than the 3. After putting a couple thousand miles on our 3 already, I think the 3 is the better car even if the Y has more room. If the 3 had a hatchback it would be even better. The S takes almost everything I like about the 3 and upsizes it and adds the hatch so I get a lot of the versatility of the Y. Having a car seat in the back, there is a lot more width for adults to sit there.

Of all the Teslas I've driven, I have to say the MS LR ticks almost all my boxes so to speak. I'll probably ditch the yoke for a wheel pretty soon though. As long as it doesn't block the display, I think that is where I am heading. The S has pretty good range (real life 330-340 miles) with a fair amount of 75-80 mph Texas roads thrown it. It is a pretty nice cockpit to spend time in. The autopilot has been rock solid so far with NO phantom braking events (vs. the hundreds I had in the Y). It is very quick whether from a stop or 60 mph roll. While looks are subjective, I always liked the S. The Y always looked like a fat guppy to me. Sadly with the refresh the frunk is almost worthless and I think the Y's is bigger.

The staggered tires means you can't easily rotate the tires. It is longer and wider than the Y if garage fit is an issue. It just barely fits in our garage lenghtwise with only 4" to spare if I park it perfectly. That is where the stupid lack of stalks infuriates me. At least in the garage lately the auto choice of direction has been 100% correct in choosing reverse when I get in the car lately. ;)

Tesla provides decent choices to find a car/CUV to meet your needs and budget. I am glad we had the Y for a while. I'll definitely take the S over the Y, even with the current price delta larger than the ~25k when I ordered our Y and S. Feel free to DM if you have any specific questions. If you come to the Dallas area, glad to take you for a ride in the S.

This is exactly the kind of detailed comparison I've been searching for, to help me with my MYP vs MS LR dilemma. Thanks for taking the time to write it!

Reactions: aerodyne

Much appreciated for the detailed write up! Will likely DM you later with additional questions.

Reactions: aerodyne
Great summary of the LR S, reflects my same thoughts. Have had the Y since Sept 2020 and got the S end of December 21. I have not driven the Y more than 2 times since as the S is just such a nicer place to be overall. Don't get me wrong, still love the Y but it is easily outclassed in every respect except storage by the S.

Funny you mention fat guppy as I remember hearing pregnant cat fish. Both are rather good descriptions. 😃
I thought storage was similar— but differently sized with the Y having more height and the S having more width.

I thought storage was similar— but differently sized with the Y having more height and the S having more width.
The Y has substantially more storage room available and even a few more compartments. Frunk on the S is half the size and the rear of the S is low not to mention the hatch back is also sleek and low limiting what goes back there. Extra deep side bin on the Y is not there on the S and the S is missing the secondary rear under floor compartment of the Y. Measured both really quickly and the depth is pretty much the same and maybe 3/4" between the wheel well advantage to the S.

• Helpful
Reactions: Ormond and geometro
I agree here. Even the 2017 P100D had 0-60 of 2.28 sec vs the new LR 3.1. I agree the 60-130 is where the new LR would start to catch but given the intense launch of the P100D, it would be a close one.

A P is still a P now matter how you slice it. It’s algo’s are made to launch alongside faster throttle response.

The Raven Performance I agree is a beast. 0-90 even…it will beat the new LR as it starts with a 1 second advantage at the 60 mark.
I would say lr feels somewhat quicker past 75 mph ?

sorry no draggy at same place for real comparison to that speed range and more

Yes that’s a huge difference for sure
fun fact I did a quick 0-60 on the raven in the rain and temp was about 34 degreeF at something around 18% no heat no lauch juste for fun

dragy was still even then yeah slower thant those 2.3 I got at dragstrip last summer but

can definately tell you much quicker in 0-30 than 2022 lr was in ready to race but after 30 fell literally on its knees

fun fact I did a quick 0-60 on the raven in the rain and temp was about 34 degreeF at something around 18% no heat no lauch juste for fun

dragy was still even then yeah slower thant those 2.3 I got at dragstrip last summer but

can definately tell you much quicker in 0-30 than 2022 lr was in ready to race but after 30 fell literally on its knees
I understand that English may not be your native language but I really have no idea what you’re trying to say… 🤷‍♂️

Fixed up attempt :

fun fact …I did a quick 0-60 on the raven in the rain and temp was about 34 degree F. ‘(SOC’?) at something around 18% , no heat (no battery heated up or prepped), no launch (no launch or cheetah mode) juste for fun …dragy was still even then (drag showed what it should for a Raven performance without prep) yeah slower thant those 2.3 I got at dragstrip last summer ( compared to drag with all the prep and battery warm, SOC full)… but can definately tell you much quicker in 0-30 than 2022 lr. (Raven P outdoes LR 0-30)

was in ready to race, but after 30 fell literally on its knees (Raven P was in the running until 30 and then couldn’t keep up?)

I tried !!

• Funny
Reactions: danp