Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance of Refreshed MSLR vs. others

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The way I look at this is:

In the real world, the refreshed MSLR is quicker than any stock ICE sedan for sale right now. The only Taycan that's quicker is the Turbo, and only 0-60 - in passing times/rolling races or above about 60 mph the MS is quicker. The only electric sedans that are quicker are the Plaid and the top Lucid Air.

I'll take that indeed!
Not sure if serious but that’s definitely not true.

Reactions: fetar30310
I was at the SLUSH event at PPIR today with my MSLR. I must have run at least 15 1/8th-mile drags and almost as many roll races. I only lost one race to a legitimately faster car, although I saw two other cars that would definitely have won against me handily, one of which was a Plaid. Toward the later part of the day, many drivers were reluctant to line up with me. Considering how few other cars—even highly-tuned ones—can outrun the MSLR, it somewhat boggles my mind what a Plaid can do.

That said, it is a bit unnerving scrubbing 105MPH in just a hundred or so feet from the end of the "drag strip" to the wall of the "D" curve at this track, and I agree with 12Pack's assessment that this car is a much better touring car than performance car. I bought the MSLR to be our road trip car—drag racing is just a fun afterthought.

For good measure, here's a proper Dragy report for my best run of the day (my 2nd, about 89% SOC).
View attachment 810087

Worst run of the day was a 7.40, at about 58% SOC, and all the rest were in the 7.3's. All in Drag Strip Mode using launch control.

It's worth noting that I had 350-ish pounds of people (me and my son) and also this is a completely un-preped track. I could hear my wheels chirping and feel power being reduced a bit on launch, but this is a realistic representation of on-street performance.

Here's the 0-60 for that same run.
View attachment 810089
Pretty good runs. Thanks for sharing. Did Dragy capture a 0-60 run on your higher SoC runs? I also setup my Dragy to do a lot of other custom metrics as well. I haven't had a chance to run my MSLR yet.

I'd like to see how the 0-60 when fresh matches up to the factory claimed of 3.1 (including rollout). On the run you posted it is off .3 seconds and even without factoring in rollout it still doesn't do 3.1. I honestly thought it would have been better. For comparison I ran my M3LR (with boost) and it run a 3.78 0-60 at a 47% SoC. I typically never charge it above 50% unless going a long ways. When I ran it before adding boost, it ran a 4.32 vs a 4.2 claimed. That was at a 70% SoC. So close enough I didn't worry and I am a bigger guy so I expected it to be slower.

Given that most Plaids seem to be able to hit their numbers, or very close to them, I am not seeing that pattern with the MSLR. I haven't seen a single post of anyone who got a 3.1 0-60 out of the MSLR. Frankly this is concerning to me.

The last M3P I tested, ran a 3.28 with rollout 0-60. It was 3.1% without rollout at a 90% SoC and my big butt in it. Based on what I've seen so far, there is a high likelihood that a M3P will take a MSLR to 60 unless the P is at a very low SoC. That shouldn't even be remotely possible according to Tesla if the cars at a high SoC.

I think we might be getting short changed on what performance we were promised and what we are actually getting. I don't really have any places right now where I can get in a 0-60 run due to how bad the traffic is. And to be honest, it doesn't feel as quick as I think it should when I get on it from a stop. In the upper speed ranges, it absolutely crushes my 3, but at lower speeds it doesn't feel that much quicker.

Reactions: M3Jay
I can say even my relatively slow MYLR w/boost was more than a match for the vast majority of cars on the street. I probably ran 20 cars on the street and only lost to 1. It took that guy 3 times to finally beat me. That car was only running about 4.3 0-60 and it was the 7 seater so was slower than the 5 w/boost and a fair amount slower than the MYP.

The street is a great equalizer and AWD and Tesla's traction control help a lot. I would say at least 10 of the cars should have beat me, likely would have if we ran a 1/4 mile. In the 0-60 range, it is hard to beat a Tesla (except with another Tesla) but not impossible. Also most of my runs where never at a high SoC either. Maybe 50-70% so still some performance left on the table so to speak.

Of course you may find someone who has really dialed is car in for the street, has made lots of runs, and in general is very experienced. Those people are very few and far between. I spent enough time street racing to know who I need to watch out for. There are enough people like Farm Truck out there that I am always suspicious of what I they are running if they want to run for $$$.

Anyone who has half a brain can easily look on the internet and see what a Plaid, M3P, etc will run and do the math to know if they have a good chance of beating you, at least on paper anyway.

Sez the guy trying to re-define my statement in order to create an argument where there is none - LOL.
I didn’t redefine anything. Your statement of the MSLR being quicker than any stock ICE sedan for sale today is simply false, a bmw m5 is quicker.
Then you had to move the goal posts and handicap it with an arbitrary “no launch control” rule, because that’s somehow not real world…

You want to ignore the facts, be my guest, doesn’t really matter to me.

… a bmw m5 is quicker.
Oh, you mean the M5 that runs 10.9 @ 128 (on a drag strip, with launch control, which in the real world is 11.4-11.6 @ 127) to the MSLR’s 10.8 @ 130 anywhere?!? THAT M5?

And even all of that ignores the fact that in the real world of punch it and go driving the M5 wouldn’t see which way the MSLR went…

Speaking of ignoring facts…

Last edited:
Reactions: SBDPlaid
BMW is very conservative with their claimed 0-60 time, some testing publications got times of 2.6 seconds, which is quicker than a long range.

And they did it with an automatic. I was guessing manual, and dropping the clutch.

But I'll bet with the options, closer in price to a Plaid.

Think I'll stick with the LR. My goal is more avoiding road rage, than road racing. BMW driver's as a general rule, tend to have a distinct driving style that does not suit me.

Oh, you mean the M5 that runs 10.9 @ 128 (on a drag strip, with launch control, which in the real world is 11.4-11.6 @ 127) to the MSLR’s 10.8 @ 130 anywhere?!? THAT M5?

And even all of that ignores the fact that in the real world of punch it and go driving the M5 wouldn’t see which way the MSLR went…

Speaking of ignoring facts…

Not on a drag strip.

And they did it with an automatic. I was guessing manual, and dropping the clutch.

Think I'll stick with the LR. My goal is more avoiding road rage, than road racing. BMW driver's as a general rule, tend to have a distinct driving style that does not suit me.

It’s definitely priced closer to the plaid, I’ll also stick with the LR.

Did Dragy capture a 0-60 run on your higher SoC runs?
The screenshot I posted was my best 0-60 (and 1/8-mile) of the day, and I'm pretty sure my SOC was 89%. (For sure it was between 87 and 92%).

I could tell I was traction-limited at this track—my tires (the OEM all-season Continentals) chirped with every launch. It's interesting, though, that the G-graph from the Dragy doesn't match what my butt was telling me. I swear it felt like it really picked up around 60MPH, but the Dragy disagrees. I would trust the Dragy. :p

Last edited:
You did a great job trolling, you can take solace in that.
Most day to day street races are going to occur from a roll, so 60-130 time is the most representative measure to look at it. From what I’ve seen, the LR is the quickest sedan on the market, of course not counting the Plaid.
Anyways, M5 is priced to compete with the Plaid not the LR, so fact remains that the LR is extremely impressive for the $ and everything else considered. AND, as has been pointed out, the LR is even going to win from a dig race in most instances on the street compared to the M5. If Tesla didn’t neuter the LR off the line, then the LR would always beat the M5 from a dig as well as its trap speed is more aligned for a mid 10 second car

Reactions: Zcd1
The screenshot I posted was my best 0-60 (and 1/8-mile) of the day, and I'm pretty sure my SOC was 89%. (For sure it was between 87 and 92%).

I could tell I was traction-limited at this track—my tires (the OEM all-season Continentals) chirped with every launch. It's interesting, though, that the G-graph from the Dragy doesn't match what my butt was telling me. I swear it felt like it really picked up around 60MPH, but the Dragy disagrees. I would trust the Dragy. :p
Finally glad to see "my" car in a drag race video. Right down to the tires I have. This does make me wonder if you could have gained a few tenths of a second with the Pirelli summer tires. That would have put it right at the claimed 3.1 seconds.

Finally glad to see "my" car in a drag race video. Right down to the tires I have. This does make me wonder if you could have gained a few tenths of a second with the Pirelli summer tires. That would have put it right at the claimed 3.1 seconds.
I'm still hoping to get to a proper 1/4-mile track (with prep!) and gather some data. Unfortunately, tomorrow's Test & Tune event is almost certainly going to be rained out and there aren't many left for the season. I would be surprised if the MSLR would still be traction-limited on a prepped surface, even with the AS tires. With any luck, maybe I'll get to the track next Wednesday.