Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance of Refreshed MSLR vs. others

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not deflecting anything, just basically saying get over it in a round about way because 0-60 doesn’t show anything for how quick the car is
As the OP of this thread stated, 60-130 means a lot more and he was interested in the performance of the LR, which pretty much negates 0-60. It’s pointless and I’ll stand by that. The M3P may edge out the new LR 0-60. So does that matter? The LR is a much quicker car so the reasonable answer is NO
I agree with @cmarshack. I also own a Palladium Long Range, and when I bought it I was between it and the Model 3 Performance (I owned a Model 3 Long Range with the acceleration boost before). I wanted the Tesla that is quickest off the line and that I can afford, because it is so much fun. I can't afford the Plaid. So I test drove the Performance Model 3 and loved the acceleration. Where I live the highest speed limit is 65 so I don't care about performance above that speed. I want to feel the push in the seat at every traffic light I can safely do it. The acceleration makes me happy, every time. Seeing that the Long Range Model S was supposed to be faster than the Performance 3 (according to the web site) I had no concerns about ordering it without a test drive (there were none available at the time). I, too, was disappointed to find that it actually isn't faster than the Performance 3. It's obviously plenty fast, but I feel misled by Tesla.

I agree with @cmarshack. I also own a Palladium Long Range, and when I bought it I was between it and the Model 3 Performance (I owned a Model 3 Long Range with the acceleration boost before). I wanted the Tesla that is quickest off the line and that I can afford, because it is so much fun. I can't afford the Plaid. So I test drove the Performance Model 3 and loved the acceleration. Where I live the highest speed limit is 65 so I don't care about performance above that speed. I want to feel the push in the seat at every traffic light I can safely do it. The acceleration makes me happy, every time. Seeing that the Long Range Model S was supposed to be faster than the Performance 3 (according to the web site) I had no concerns about ordering it without a test drive (there were none available at the time). I, too, was disappointed to find that it actually isn't faster than the Performance 3. It's obviously plenty fast, but I feel misled by Tesla.

So if you play that game and only look at Tesla’s quoted 0-60, both the 3P and LR are 3.1. So why did you think the LR would be “faster”?
STILL, 0-60, meaning from an absolute standstill, most depends on the launching software for these EVs. The ONLY reason the 3P may have the same 0-60 is because it has a better “launch”. From a roll start, 1-2mph, and flooring it; the LR is going to slaughter a 3P, and hence, is much quicker accelerating. And thus, back to the 0-60 is meaningless theme

Reactions: cmarshack
I will have to do some more serious dragy testing on the LR just to see what it will do
I will do the same and see if I can get a quicker time.
This is my point and I agree with everything @SBDPlaid said (except for the definition of deflection and that 0-60 is pointless). The car is fast and off a roll and 60-130 it's crazy fast. When driving to Mammoth and needing to pass a semi, it's laughable how quickly I can get around it and I can find myself doing 140 (Mammoth Mexico that is) in no time. 0-60 is pointless in real world driving but it is the de facto standard of how cars are rated and when a company markets a product to meet a very specific specification, it needs to meet that spec. That is the point, not pointless.

I will do the same and see if I can get a quicker time.

This is my point and I agree with everything @SBDPlaid said (except for the definition of deflection and that 0-60 is pointless). The car is fast and off a roll and 60-130 it's crazy fast. When driving to Mammoth and needing to pass a semi, it's laughable how quickly I can get around it and I can find myself doing 140 (Mammoth Mexico that is) in no time. 0-60 is pointless in real world driving but it is the de facto standard of how cars are rated and when a company markets a product to meet a very specific specification, it needs to meet that spec. That is the point, not pointless.
You said it yourself, 0-60 is a marketing ploy by car makers
(Ie, pointless 😉)
So I wouldn’t labor over the 3.1 stat. Fact is, the LR accelerates from any roll speed quicker than the typical car that would be marketed at 0-60. For example, I use to have a 911 Turbo that did 0-60 in 2.8 and Porsche marketed that a lot. The 1/4 mile though was about 11.2 seconds. The LR will run a 10.8 1/4 mile and is quicker accelerating than the Taycan Turbo S from any speed
All of that is example why I say 0-60 is pointless and literally NO ONE I know that races their car at the drag strip or roll racing events EVER talk about it. In fact, it’s typically a tell that someone isn’t a “car guy” if they’re quoting 0-60 times. There are so many factors at play that affect the time from a standstill to a low speed like that which makes it not relevant to the car’s acceleration

Last edited:
Reactions: cmarshack
So if you play that game and only look at Tesla’s quoted 0-60, both the 3P and LR are 3.1. So why did you think the LR would be “faster”?
STILL, 0-60, meaning from an absolute standstill, most depends on the launching software for these EVs. The ONLY reason the 3P may have the same 0-60 is because it has a better “launch”. From a roll start, 1-2mph, and flooring it; the LR is going to slaughter a 3P, and hence, is much quicker accelerating. And thus, back to the 0-60 is meaningless theme
Tesla quotes 3.1 seconds 0-60 with rollout for the M3P, but without rollout for the MSLR. This roughly translates to 2.9 seconds 0-60 with rollout for the MSLR.

I’m not sure why everyone’s expecting a larger, heavier car to keep pace with a smaller,
Compact sister with similar motor output.

It’s like comparing a bmw M3 with a 550i (not M5 …that’s plaid). Why shouldn’t the former be faster off the line? The model 3 Perf is designed to be quick off the launch…hence the P. Basic physics…the car is almost 1000 lbs lighter. It’s no wonder she slams the back vs the LR.

I’ve driven both and while the subjective ‘feel’ of the M3P is faster and gut punching, the LR is a more refined launch. I suspect the speedo may read in favour of the LR from a rolling start ie. 20/30mph and up, but the launch of a P model does what it’s designed to do and certainly feels faster.

I personally prefer the M3P as it’s more than just straight line for me. Cornering and handling is also key to the overall driving experience. I enjoy the point and shoot dynamics of the model3 steering. Others will prefer the softer ride and refinement of the LR.
I’ve owned model S since 2015 and had various styles 90D, 100D, P100D…and I now drive a model 3/boost and love the drive if not the slightly bumpier ride lol.

0-60, 20-80, 40-100…whatever…they are both ridiculously fast! If this is about tesla mis representing speed numbers…fall in line…it’s in their culture. Let’s talk about range numbers lol. Way more significant and quite the BS claims on epa vs real world in all situations.

It’s tesla…embellishing comes with the pleasure of ownership. Lol 😂

Last edited:
Reactions: Eugene Ash
So one more confirmation of a refreshed MSLR not being able to hit a 3.1s 0-60 under pretty much the best possible circumstances. I’m at Bandimere Speedway finally getting in some 1/4-mile runs. My best run of the night is a 10.827 @ 130.67MPH according to the track. According to the Dragy, that run was a 10.84 @ 130.72MPH. Pretty close, I’d say. Here’s the Dragy report.

40B17850-6413-4752-A1FC-C0131EEAF26B.png

This was using Drag Mode, Peak Performance Ready, and Launch Control on a prepped drag strip. SoC was 85%. Outside temp is mid-upper 70s.

0-60 = 3.25s

My best 0-60 on an unprepped track was 3.49s, so the car is definitely traction limited with the AS Contis. I suppose it still could be traction limited on the prepped surface but it doesn’t feel like it is.

I’m not sure why everyone’s expecting a larger, heavier car to keep pace with a smaller,
Compact sister with similar motor output.

It’s like comparing a bmw M3 with a 550i (not M5 …that’s plaid). Why shouldn’t the former be faster off the line? The model 3 Perf is designed to be quick off the launch…hence the P. Basic physics…the car is almost 1000 lbs lighter. It’s no wonder she slams the back vs the LR.

I’ve driven both and while the subjective ‘feel’ of the M3P is faster and gut punching, the LR is a more refined launch. I suspect the speedo may read in favour of the LR from a rolling start ie. 20/30mph and up, but the launch of a P model does what it’s designed to do and certainly feels faster.

I personally prefer the M3P as it’s more than just straight line for me. Cornering and handling is also key to the overall driving experience. I enjoy the point and shoot dynamics of the model3 steering. Others will prefer the softer ride and refinement of the LR.
I’ve owned model S since 2015 and had various styles 90D, 100D, P100D…and I now drive a model 3/boost and love the drive if not the slightly bumpier ride lol.

0-60, 20-80, 40-100…whatever…they are both ridiculously fast! If this is about tesla mis representing speed numbers…fall in line…it’s in their culture. Let’s talk about range numbers lol. Way more significant and quite the BS claims on epa vs real world in all situations.

It’s tesla…embellishing comes with the pleasure of ownership. Lol 😂
Regarding range numbers: I don't feel misled by Tesla. I don't see why their EPA numbers aren't accurate. It's just that the EPA test itself doesn't translate to real world driving as most people do it nowadays. At freeway speeds of 65-70mph I get fairly close to the EPA numbers. I'm sure that at 55mph I would easily beat them.

Regarding range numbers: I don't feel misled by Tesla. I don't see why their EPA numbers aren't accurate. It's just that the EPA test itself doesn't translate to real world driving as most people do it nowadays. At freeway speeds of 65-70mph I get fairly close to the EPA numbers. I'm sure that at 55mph I would easily beat them.
Let's keep this thread on topic, because range could send this thread into a major tangent.

Reactions: M3Jay
And from my data tonight (8 runs so far, 4 with and 4 w/o launch control, Cheeta Stance is worth almost exactly 0.1s in both 0-60 and final 1/4-mile ET. There is no doubt in my mind that it does something.

It's all about weight transfer. Depending on your front spring weight (or whatever it's called in an air suspension setup), you would want to adjust the suspension travel based on how much weight you want to transfer to the rear. So 1" of front spring travel could transfer 1000 pounds to the rear on a launch with a heavier spring, and with a softer spring, you may need 2" of travel to transfer the same amount of weight. If the car is up in normal mode, it may only have 1" of travel before maxing out, and in cheetah, that may give it an extra 2".

Second reason is that it may help buffer the launch and reduce choppiness. Smooth = faster.

Obviously these are just hypothetical numbers, it's a pretty complicated thing to guesstimate without having actual specs on the suspension.

So one more confirmation of a refreshed MSLR not being able to hit a 3.1s 0-60 under pretty much the best possible circumstances. I’m at Bandimere Speedway finally getting in some 1/4-mile runs. My best run of the night is a 10.827 @ 130.67MPH according to the track. According to the Dragy, that run was a 10.84 @ 130.72MPH. Pretty close, I’d say. Here’s the Dragy report.

View attachment 857927

This was using Drag Mode, Peak Performance Ready, and Launch Control on a prepped drag strip. SoC was 85%. Outside temp is mid-upper 70s.

0-60 = 3.25s

My best 0-60 on an unprepped track was 3.49s, so the car is definitely traction limited with the AS Contis. I suppose it still could be traction limited on the prepped surface but it doesn’t feel like it is.
The 1/8, 1/4, and 60-130 are amazing for the “entry” model S! Those stats are all that matter

Ya in a specific 0-60 thread LOL
Main thing 0-60 matters for those of us that drag race is the initial launch and 60 foot time, to get the best 1/4 ET. Still has nothing to really do with showing what a car’s performance is
Good try though. If you want to obsess on 0-60 only knock yourself out
The contradictions are what's LOL.

You literally just said "Main thing 0-60 matters for those of us that drag race is the initial launch and 60 foot time, to get the best 1/4 ET."

You keep beating your drum about 0-60 being pointless when you admit that it's critical in getting the best 1/4 mile, that's all.

But I am sure you will come back with something to try to prove your point and save face, it's all good though stay safe over there in Florida and enjoy your car.

The contradictions are what's LOL.

You literally just said "Main thing 0-60 matters for those of us that drag race is the initial launch and 60 foot time, to get the best 1/4 ET."

You keep beating your drum about 0-60 being pointless when you admit that it's critical in getting the best 1/4 mile, that's all.

But I am sure you will come back with something to try to prove your point and save face, it's all good though stay safe over there in Florida and enjoy your car.
LOL you reintroduced this a couple posts back a day later when it was done to “save face”. Get off your high horse
0-60 can be part of getting a good 1/4 time. It doesn’t prove or disprove a car’s performance, and is pointless by itself in trying to do so. That’s it

Just test drove a 2023 MSLR yesterday. Very impressive car. I own a 2022 M3P. Just finished driving a 2016 P85D as a loaner for about 2 weeks while the 3 was in service. My subjective thoughts on how the three cars compare in acceleration:
MSLR -- deceptively fast to 50 (smooth, linear), but does not have the acceleration "hit" off the line like the M3P. Felt significantly faster from 50 mph and pulled much harder after 50 than the other cars. Larger, heavier car. Nicer place to be than the others. Was not a big fan of the yoke steering.
M3P -- hits the hardest below 40, similar feeling to P85D after 60. MSLR definitely pulls harder after 60. Smaller, lighter, feels more "sporty" and responsivey.
P85D -- A bit more comfortable than the M3P, as expected. Less range. Larger, heavier than M3P. Not as nice as the MSLR.

About 0-60:
Any of the three cars readily leave just about any other vehicle many car lengths behind at the stop-light "drags". That was the main reason I chose a M3P was the quick 0-60. AWD, electric motors, and Tesla's very good traction control provide an amusement park ride opportunity of acceleration thrill at every stop sign or light.
0-60 is where I spend all my driving time when not on highways. Even on highways the speed limits are 65-70 mph. So a great acceleration from 60-130 is fairly useless. Sure it is fun, but it is lose-your-license fun if caught. Do you drive on highways in other countries all the time where you can enjoy such roll-races? Likely not. 60-130 is the race all the old Supra turbo guys wanted because they could not hook up their big HP on the street and their oversized turbos took too long to spool up off the dig at a stop light. True for many big-turbo cars...another reason I really enjoy the Tesla cars -- instant hit!

Drag racers are all about the start for good ET's. What good is a car that runs mid-13's at 125 mph because they have no traction? HP sure is there by the trap speed, but on the "street" they will get abused by every 12-second car or faster. How often do you do top end races? Where? How often do you end up at the drag strip? Test-and-tune is once a week for a few hours and you typically get 3-7 races depending on the crowd. Is that what you are basing the 0-60 mph does not matter rants? I'll take my 0-60 blasts 4-times a day...or more.

Only folks that are all-about roll races are the ones with big HP and no traction. The rolling starts for 1-mile race competitions come to mind. Those folks are running 1000's of HP with 50 mph rolling starts and still spin. Most 0-60 doesn't matter folks are lacking traction.

How often do you do top end races? Where? How often do you end up at the drag strip?

Only folks that are all-about roll races are the ones with big HP and no traction. The rolling starts for 1-mile race competitions come to mind. Those folks are running 1000's of HP with 50 mph rolling starts and still spin. Most 0-60 doesn't matter folks are lacking traction.

It's not that you drive the car to the grocery store at 160mph, but it is there if you want it. Same reason you buy a 1000cc motorcycle instead of a 250cc one.