Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance or LR AWD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Besides the 0-60 speed, how much better is the performance model? I recently ordered the LR AWD but as I'm sitting here staring at the website everyday, 3 times a day, I'm wondering if I made a mistake. Just don't want buyers regret. So, basically, if I have the money, am I fool not to upgrade or is the performance model only for those who want that extra thrust?

The LR AWD is still a fantastic car, and I'm sure you'll love it. Other than the acceleration, the M3P has performance brakes, the little carbon fibre spoiler, track mode, a slightly lowered suspension, and a higher top speed. It all depends on how much that matters to you, but I can almost guarantee you won't be disappointed with a long range dual motor. The LR is not a slow car by any means, but I would say the main reason to get the performance model would be for the insane kick that the acceleration gives you.

I did exactly what you're doing, ordered the LR non performance, then went for the performance! Either one is great, but I wanted the painted calipers, carbon accent, and rear carbon spoiler. Haven't regretted
IMG_1882.jpg
it one bit! Absolutely love it! You'll be happy with either. You can always add the spoiler and paint the calipers!

Besides the 0-60 speed, how much better is the performance model? I recently ordered the LR AWD but as I'm sitting here staring at the website everyday, 3 times a day, I'm wondering if I made a mistake. Just don't want buyers regret. So, basically, if I have the money, am I fool not to upgrade or is the performance model only for those who want that extra thrust?
If money isn't a concern I would go for the performance version.

I did exactly what you're doing, ordered the LR non performance, then went for the performance! Either one is great, but I wanted the painted calipers, carbon accent, and rear carbon spoiler. Haven't regrettedView attachment 499454 it one bit! Absolutely love it! You'll be happy with either. You can always add the spoiler and paint the calipers!
Your car's paint and interior are exactly what I ordered...looks really good. I also went with the 19" rims.

Some owners get Steath Model 3 performance. It comes with 18 or 19 wheels, no bigger brakes (without performance upgrade package) and everything else is the same (track mode is often there, not sure). They like it more because they did not wanted 20 inch rims which tend to get bend and also worse efficiency. Those needed to be ordered with SA.

You could always add the Acceleration Boost to the LR AWD for another $2k but if it were me I would get a Stealth (3P-) or the 3P+. I like the bigger brakes, red calipers, carbon spoiler, and of course max acceleration.

If you value performance, 0-60mph in 3 sec flat and 1/4mi in 11.5 sec then the 3P- is the way to go. If you value better lateral grip (PS4S tires) or plan to take the car to the track (big brake kit) then the M3P+ goodies are nice.

• Helpful
Reactions: PhaseWhite
I did exactly what you're doing, ordered the LR non performance, then went for the performance! Either one is great, but I wanted the painted calipers, carbon accent, and rear carbon spoiler. Haven't regrettedView attachment 499454 it one bit! Absolutely love it! You'll be happy with either. You can always add the spoiler and paint the calipers!
Nice looking Model 3

ok...so it sounds like other then a slightly slower 0-60, and a few racing feathers, I lose a few aesthetics...but nothing that I would miss if I just plan on driving in the city and highway?

Yup.

Now if you can get a P3D- (the performance without the boat anchor 20" wheels and the brakes that'd be of no benefit outside a track and cost more to service) I'd say do it- they're only 2k more than the LR AWD.... the downside is you can't order one you have to be lucky enough to find a local inventory car and also hope it happens to be in the color/wheel options you want.

But if you can't, and are fine "only" going 0-60 in roughly 3.5 instead of 3 flat, and the 1/4 mile in "only" ~11.8 instead of ~11.4, the LR AWD with the performance upgrade will suit you fine.... (or without the upgrade if ~3.9 and 12.3 are good enough for you)

ok...so it sounds like other then a slightly slower 0-60, and a few racing feathers, I lose a few aesthetics...but nothing that I would miss if I just plan on driving in the city and highway?
Irrational-me has a Performance, just to scratch that what-if itch.

Rational-me says get the AWD. Personally I use absolutely none of the Performance feature......except when the rear end is filthy, I use the (unpainted) spoiler to close the trunk rather than pushing on the trunk itself.

So recommendation is: LR AWD.

Irrational-me has a Performance, just to scratch that what-if itch.

Rational-me says get the AWD. Personally I use absolutely none of the Performance feature......except when the rear end is filthy, I use the (unpainted) spoiler to close the trunk rather than pushing on the trunk itself.

So recommendation is: LR AWD.

I think what tends to happen sometimes is if you own the top trim/performance level then you tend to say the AWD or even an SR+ is fine but if you own a lower trim you wonder if you should have sprung for the extra money to get the higher/faster trim. I think it depends on how much of a fan you are of the car and how much enjoyment does this car ownership bring to you? For some the car is just a solution to get from point a to point b, for others it is a hobby/passion. I enjoy sportier fun to drive cars so for me the M3P+ was an easy decision. My wife on the other hand doesn’t care so much and only needs to drive 30 miles round trip to work each day so the SR+ is right choice for her.

Reactions: jjrandorin

That’s not a model 3, and people are commenting “nice model 3”...

People are in here worried about paint scratches and don’t even know what car the car looks like, lol.

I think what tends to happen sometimes is if you own the top trim/performance level then you tend to say the AWD or even an SR+ is fine but if you own a lower trim you wonder if you should have sprung for the extra money to get the higher/faster trim. I think it depends on how much of a fan you are of the car and how much enjoyment does this car ownership bring to you? For some the car is just a solution to get from point a to point b, for others it is a hobby/passion. I enjoy sportier fun to drive cars so for me the M3P+ was an easy decision. My wife on the other hand doesn’t care so much and only needs to drive 30 miles round trip to work each day so the SR+ is right choice for her.

For me enjoyment of a car isn't about just straight-line performance. For that, Performance provides a potential of ~510hp, assuming full battery charge.

In actual, everyday use, my car runs at 30-80% SoC, which means the maximum accessible power at any speed is already 50-75hp lower than that potential. (and is still plenty fast!!!)

I think there's value in sharing real-world experience that: if you pay the extra money JUST/MOSTLY to get 510hp, you will actually rarely have it. Of course, it is equally valuable for someone who street races to share I charge the car to 100% every morning and win every race every day, so Performance is worth every penny.

If the Performance trim had other unique features like adaptable-suspension, better-bolstered seats, etc, for my mental calculus, it would make the upgrade more justified.

Reactions: Arctic_White
If the Performance trim had other unique features like adaptable-suspension, better-bolstered seats, etc, for my mental calculus, it would make the upgrade more justified.

This.

If the P3D- had offered magnetic suspension I'd be driving one... THAT plus the acceleration would've been worth the 11k (in 2018) upgrade to me.

Since it offered nothing street-useful other than the quicker 0-60 I'm quite happy with the AWD+ and extra $9000 in my pocket... (and if Tesla decided to offer a second 2k unlock that gets me the other half second, I might buy it... but sure as hell wouldn't pay 9k for it)

Reactions: Jomak

Agreed. This was one of my biggest gripes with the Performance trim. They do very little to differentiate it.

In addition to the features you mention I also wish they would have put a more aggressive front and rear facia on the P, a HUD would have been nice as well. Ideally they would have went with wider 19" forged wheels on the P instead of the skinny 20s.

That said, I will be happy with what Tesla offers us at this time. The M3P+ is a real joy to drive.

I have the LR AWD and it’s fast enough that I never ever need to use full acceleration in daily driving.

So going 0-60 at full acceleration in the LR AWD is already just a party trick and has no practical use. I don’t even have the boost and passengers still freak out when I punch it to show them its capability. So going even faster is just a slightly bigger party trick. Not sure I would get much more of a reaction from them.

But if you have the money, and it’s all about the party trick to you, definitely get the top of the line Model S and have the best production car party trick available for delivery on the market today! It will make the Model 3 Performance seem like a complete waste of money if you’re all about 0-60.

Last edited:
I have the LR AWD and it’s fast enough that I never ever need to use full acceleration in daily driving.

So going 0-60 at full acceleration in the LR AWD is already just a party trick and has no practical use. I don’t even have the boost and passengers still freak out when I punch it to show them its capability. So going even faster is just a slightly bigger party trick. Not sure I would get much more of a reaction from them.

But if you have the money, and it’s all about the party trick, definitely get the top of the line Model S and have the best party trick available for sale on the market today! It will make the Model 3 Performance seem like a complete waste of money if you’re all about 0-60.

Since 0-60mph in EVs seems like easy work it will be interesting to see how EV manufacturers work to differentiate their performance trims moving forward. The will need to focus on reducing weight, improving handling, suspension, interior and exterior styling, etc.

With ICE based performance vehicles, you get a bunch of options. Selection of motor, transmission, gearing, adaptive suspension, dual mode exhaust, tire wheel packages, lots of interior and exterior color choices, audio system upgrades, Heads Up Display, Drive Modes, Track apps, etc.

I think Tesla will need to offer more options and customization once the other manufacturers start bringing their EVs to market.

Last edited: