Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance or LR AWD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Exactly, the car is identical in every other way (interior, screen, tech features, etc). You even get a little more range with the LR.
Even with all the OTA updates, my "range" on my AWD Model 3 has NEVER stated above 310 miles. In fact, after 10/2019 (1 full year of driving 15,000 miles) and staying within the charging recommendations (Level 2 charging to 90% and only 4 visits to a supercharger charging to 100%), my "range" suddenly dropped to 302 miles after an OTA update in OCT'19. Now (02/26/20) my 100% stated range is 291 miles; and my 90% is 262miles, down from 280 miles. I use my Model 3 mainly for commuting 65-70 miles per day and have only taken 1 road trip from the Bay Area to Santa Barbara (oh was it fun!). Other than that, the car was driven mostly freeway.
This approximate 7% range loss was deemed "normal" and Tesla algorithms were "changed" according to Tesla SC correspondence in Dec 2019. Tesla said they also performed a remote battery check and informed me that all my battery cells are operating 100% normal. The only learned information was that I should use my Energy screen and NOT the range estimation we see on the upper corner of our screen. Statistics.... but still a very fun sleeper sedan!

I bought a AWD-LR in dec 2019 .. great car love it.

but a part of me wished i had just gotten the performance -- i plan to track the car a few times a year for fun.

Now i'm waiting for delivery of a P3D in march 2020. -- so if its something you think you want, just get it (as long as the money is not an issue) .. or you'll end up thinking of ways to get it later anyways.

Besides the 0-60 speed, how much better is the performance model? I recently ordered the LR AWD but as I'm sitting here staring at the website everyday, 3 times a day, I'm wondering if I made a mistake. Just don't want buyers regret. So, basically, if I have the money, am I fool not to upgrade or is the performance model only for those who want that extra thrust?

I currently drive an 2016 SRT 392 500+HP and Torque (factory ordered new), I sit in traffic for about two hours each day and move at 10mph. So, when I ordered my M3 my thought process was.. how much is that performance going to be used by me? For me and my daily driving situation LRAWD was the choice, and I get ~322m instead of the ~290m per charge. If you are going to track your car, or take it for spin on open roads once a while, how much different is 4.4s vs 3.6s? Unless you are going to drag race.

• Informative
Reactions: Arctic_White
I currently drive an 2016 SRT 392 500+HP and Torque (factory ordered new), I sit in traffic for about two hours each day and move at 10mph. So, when I ordered my M3 my thought process was.. how much is that performance going to be used by me? For me and my daily driving situation LRAWD was the choice, and I get ~322m instead of the ~290m per charge. If you are going to track your car, or take it for spin on open roads once a while, how much different is 4.4s vs 3.6s? Unless you are going to drag race.

FYI- your LR AWD is actually 3.9 if you measure it the same way they do the P (or the same way Dodge measures the SRT 392 for that matter).

It's 3.5 with the $2000 acceleration boost- significantly quicker than your old 392 was.

• Helpful
Reactions: Arctic_White
FYI- your LR AWD is actually 3.9 if you measure it the same way they do the P (or the same way Dodge measures the SRT 392 for that matter).

It's 3.5 with the $2000 acceleration boost- significantly quicker than your old 392 was.

oh really! is the acceleration boot an option on the LRAWD!!?? GAWD my $2000 gone already before the car is here. I still love my SRT 392 but the car has to go to make room for toddlers that are growing up fast and I tired of them kicking my seat non-stop, coz the back seats on the SRT is really namesake.

oh really! is the acceleration boot an option on the LRAWD!!?? GAWD my $2000 gone already before the car is here. I still love my SRT 392 but the car has to go to make room for toddlers that are growing up fast and I tired of them kicking my seat non-stop, coz the back seats on the SRT is really namesake.

Yes, once you have your car there'll be an "upgrades" option in the app (maybe on the website logged into your account too, can't recall) that lists the acceleration boost (it's only an option on the LR AWD specifically).

Take it from me. The AWD with the performance boost feels identical to the performance with the small exception from about 0-30mph. And even that is negligible. It honestly depends on who hits the throttle first. If you get a chance, ride in both. Seriously, side by side, hitting full throttle at 30mph to 80+mph I am side by side the entire time with my buddies performance. I personally like the ride of mine much more and I added the spoiler, pedals, and a few other things by myself. No regrets at all with my 20' AWD+. You won't be disappointed. I've owned quite a few fast cars and this thing blows them all away on every level. You are still getting an high 11 second car.

I struggled with this. I finally came to the decision that the only reason I wanted the performance was aesthetics, so I went with AWD dual motor LR. I figured I could upgrade my wheels, add a carbon spoiler, put on a set of red brake caliper covers, as well as the aluminum foot pedals. I realized my "want" was a want. The LR AWD is plenty fast. The only time I ever accelerate hard is to show a passenger what a Tesla can do....otherwise it is ordinary driving. I just couldn't justify the pricing and I am pretty good at rationalizing reasons to spend more.

Reactions: DCGoD
Get the performance if you're even considering it a little bit! Also, according to Tesla's website, the performance without the performance upgrade (stealth) does NOT get track mode. Who knows what other goodies will come out for the P cars going forward.

3/4 I ordered:
Long Range All-Wheel Drive Performance
Midnight Silver Paint
Performance Upgrade
20’’ Performance Wheels
Performance Brakes
Carbon Fiber Spoiler
Performance Pedals
Premium Interior
Premium Black
Enhanced Autopilot
Full Self-Driving Capability